Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   I knew there was a reason... (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=246661)

KMayUSA6060 10-25-2017 06:33 AM

I knew there was a reason...

... I proposed to my fiancee.

As I'm working on my Hall of Fame PC project, I've grown frustrated with some of these bigger cards (particularly in the T206 set) getting further and further away from me in price. Young, Cobb, Johnson, etc., have all popped significantly in the last 6 months to a year. Yesterday, I made the executive decision to snag one of them, and found myself a Young from a great Net54 member. I told him I'd take it, then instantly prayed that my fiancee wouldn't slaughter me (it's Halloween season; she could set my body outside and nobody would know the difference :eek:).

When my fiancee got home from work, we talked for a few minutes about her day, and then I said, "Don't be mad..." Her instant, playful response was, "What. Did. You. Buy?!" It was said with a smile on her face, in a playful manner. I shyly told her a T206 Cy Young, which prompted a "HOW MUCH DID YOU SPEND...," again in a playful manner. I told her the amount, and she grabbed my arms and started squeezing, continuously repeating the number, getting louder and louder each time and squeezing harder with each decibel increase. It was all done in a playful manner, and when she let go she said, "I'm just kidding. I don't care. :)" It wasn't an I-don't-care trap, either; it was sincere.

I then explained to her why I bought it, emphasizing the investment aspect and stating that if we ever need the money, it's a liquid asset. She asked if I was going to get it graded (yes, she knows what grading is), to which I answered yes. Then she said, "Get those other big cards."

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: :eek::eek::eek:

I. Was. Speechless. And exuberant. Yet still speechless.

And that concludes my story, bragging about my insanely gorgeous and awesome fiancee.

Rhotchkiss 10-25-2017 06:43 AM

She sounds like a total winner. My advice, as someone who has been married 17+ years, has three kids, mortgage, etc -- establish who you are and what you are about now, because her graciousness regarding large cardboard purchases may not always be there as your relationship and your family grow.

fduran27 10-25-2017 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss (Post 1713690)
She sounds like a total winner. My advice, as someone who has been married 17+ years, has three kids, mortgage, etc -- establish who you are and what you are about now, because her graciousness regarding large cardboard purchases may not always be there as your relationship and your family grow.

this is what my wife and I did early on while dating.... she understands my passions and i hers....

KMayUSA6060 10-25-2017 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss (Post 1713690)

Well said.

Although I'm still shocked by her graciousness with recent purchases considering we have a wedding to pay for and she wants a privacy fence install in our backyard.

T205 GB 10-25-2017 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 (Post 1713694)
Well said.

Although I'm still shocked by her graciousness with recent purchases considering we have a wedding to pay for and she wants a privacy fence install in our backyard.

That Sir is a well laid trap. Been down this exact path before. Get that fence done and start saving a little for the wedding in a savings account. Then when you buy a card you can say you're not interfering with plans.

baseballfan 10-25-2017 06:59 AM

good for you hold on to that one

Leon 10-25-2017 07:04 AM

Kyle- Sounds like you found a keeper. It was only a year or two after I got married (around 22 yrs ago) that I started collecting cards again and had some of the same reactions. My first big card was a PSA 7 T205 Johnson I bought from Scott Brockelman before I even knew him, at a local show. I told my wife some of the same things......and it was true. Years Later I did a deal in Wylie Texas, at a Taco Bell, and doubled my money on that card. As I recall it didn't have great centering, it wasn't a keeper. :cool:

KMayUSA6060 10-25-2017 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T205 GB (Post 1713701)
That Sir is a well laid trap. Been down this exact path before. Get that fence done and start saving a little for the wedding in a savings account. Then when you buy a card you can say you're not interfering with plans.

Already ahead of ya. Haha. We do have a decently funded savings account for the wedding, and I have monthly deposits into it. I'm also paying for a majority of her wedding dress (her mom is covering some as well), and am buying 2 wedding bands for her instead of one (her engagement ring looks better with the 2 bands). The fence is the trap, and she already shutdown my plan to build a work bench for the garage, but I'll get that work bench eventually. She also has some good Christmas gifts coming.

Trust me, my card purchases are well calculated beyond the value and investment aspects. :cool:

Quote:

Originally Posted by baseballfan (Post 1713702)
good for you hold on to that one

No plans of letting her go. Thank you! :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1713705)
Kyle- Sounds like you found a keeper. It was only a year or two after I got married (around 22 yrs ago) that I started collecting cards again and had some of the same reactions. My first big card was a PSA 7 T205 Johnson I bought from Scott Brockelman before I even knew him, at a local show. I told my wife some of the same things......and it was true. Years Later I did a deal in Wylie Texas, at a Taco Bell, and doubled my money on that card. As I recall it didn't have great centering, it wasn't a keeper. :cool:

I see what you did there... You put the ring on her finger BEFORE starting your collecting habits back up, making her escape (if she wanted to) more difficult and messier. ;)

T205 GB 10-25-2017 07:37 AM

HAHA! I wish you all the best.

My now fiancee used to make fun of me for collecting baseball cards. Needless to say after the first few months I took her on the National trip with me and she has not really said a word about my meager spending:)

sycks22 10-25-2017 07:44 AM

My wife got to stay home with our first born for her first year based on the profits from cards so she's a happy camper when she sees a package being sent out. If you find a spouse who loves cards as much as you hang on to her.

Donscards 10-25-2017 07:52 AM

Well if we are going to talk about wife's, here is my story, back in 1986, the biggest collection in Maine came up, the seller had a store in the late 1970's and he wanted $90K, I didn't have the money, had 15K, I asked my wife if I could take a home equity loan for 75K and she said Yes, (and I paid off the loan in 11 months)---5 years later, I asked her if she minded if I quite my US Postal job to sell baseball cards full time, again she said it was up to me, all my friends said don't do it, but I did---When I stated selling cards in 1978, she would question me as how much I spent on collections but over the years, she doesn't ask anymore and we have been married 48 years---so I think I have a keeper.

steve B 10-25-2017 10:02 AM

My wife knows a bit about cards, and my other hobbies. I've learned a lot about the stuff she likes, which is pretty easy since I'm interested in almost anything.

We talk about any big purchases before we make them, especially ones I'm not certain of. Some we decide to not buy, some we do. Communication is really the key.
That process has also helped keep my collecting in check, because one of the first questions is "how does it fit in the collection" if my answer is that it doesn't really fit but I think it's cool, the decision is a lot harder. I have to think it's almost impossibly cool, and that's generally a good thing.
(little stuff I'm mostly on my own)

Jenx34 10-25-2017 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 (Post 1713694)
Well said.

2 things......

1. Hopefully you thanked her "properly" that evening!

2. Not sure how old you are, but if you can get your fiance interested, I HIGHLY recommend a destination wedding. It will cost much less and be much more fun! Most places will include a basic wedding package free with your stay. I personally suggest a Sandals or similar place that has multiple locations in one location. Friends and Family can get themselves a nice vacation and after the wedding you can move down the road to a different location for your honeymoon, yet still have access to both resorts so you can control when you spend time with family and friends and when to be alone. For example, Sandals has two resorts within 3 miles of each other in Montego Bay with daily shuttles back and forth. Just a thought.... ha ha

Exhibitman 10-25-2017 05:34 PM

Yes, and once you get married, if you do that again the conversation will go like this:

I spent $$$$ on this card

WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU?!?!?

Hey, you were cool about it when I bought that T206 Young

Oh, honey, we're married now, I don't have to do that anymore.

You might not believe it, but every married man here has had that conversation with his wife. Usually not about baseball cards, but I digress...

jtschantz 10-25-2017 06:34 PM

Considering my wife and I are celebrating 27 years of holy matrimony this Friday, thought I'd tell my story. A college buddy and I owned a baseball card shop on the side (of our real jobs) in 1989. I had wax boxes and packs of unopened cards laying all over my apartment and my girlfriend (future Mrs) liked to open packs. She didn't really know what she was looking for, but for some reason liked the 1989 Pro Set Football cards. I sliced open a pack of 89 Pro Set with a razor, took the cards out (made sure they were all commons!) and cut a circular hole in all the cards except the top and bottom cards. I put an engagement ring in the cards and put them back in the pack. On Christmas eve I put the pack in the cup holder of my car and hid a bottle of champaign under the seat. On our way to her parents house that evening she saw the pack, opened it, and said "no Barry Sanders rookie". Twenty seven years later the family has grown and so has the card collection. Pretty sure I won't get away with a pack of cards as an anniversary gift Friday (unless it's vintage).

KMayUSA6060 10-25-2017 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenx34 (Post 1713918)
2 things......

1. Hopefully you thanked her "properly" that evening!

2. Not sure how old you are, but if you can get your fiance interested, I HIGHLY recommend a destination wedding. It will cost much less and be much more fun! Most places will include a basic wedding package free with your stay. I personally suggest a Sandals or similar place that has multiple locations in one location. Friends and Family can get themselves a nice vacation and after the wedding you can move down the road to a different location for your honeymoon, yet still have access to both resorts so you can control when you spend time with family and friends and when to be alone. For example, Sandals has two resorts within 3 miles of each other in Montego Bay with daily shuttles back and forth. Just a thought.... ha ha

1. Not last night, but you could say I thanked her in advance the other day? ;)

2. I'm 23, and we discussed a destination wedding earlier this year, but she has been set on having a barn wedding for a while. We've had our venue and most of our vendors booked since the late spring. However, do you have any honeymoon suggestions? An island off of Puerto Rico was on the list, but with the Caribbean being non-existent right now to tourists due to the hurricanes, we're going adjust to strictly domestic locations, either a rural area in Tennessee with a cabin not too far from civilization, or a beach destination. Thanks for the suggestion though! I wanted to just head to Vegas and elope. Haha.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 1713925)
Yes, and once you get married, if you do that again the conversation will go like this:

I spent $$$$ on this card

WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU?!?!?

Hey, you were cool about it when I bought that T206 Young

Oh, honey, we're married now, I don't have to do that anymore.

You might not believe it, but every married man here has had that conversation with his wife. Usually not about baseball cards, but I digress...

Funny, I got a similar reaction to this the other week when I bought another gun. She got over it quickly when I explained everything, much like the Cy Young purchase. I'm interested to see if she changes her tune once we get married. I don't think so. She pretty well comprehends the investment aspect.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtschantz (Post 1713945)
Considering my wife and I are celebrating 27 years of holy matrimony this Friday, thought I'd tell my story. A college buddy and I owned a baseball card shop on the side (of our real jobs) in 1989. I had wax boxes and packs of unopened cards laying all over my apartment and my girlfriend (future Mrs) liked to open packs. She didn't really know what she was looking for, but for some reason liked the 1989 Pro Set Football cards. I sliced open a pack of 89 Pro Set with a razor, took the cards out (made sure they were all commons!) and cut a circular hole in all the cards except the top and bottom cards. I put an engagement ring in the cards and put them back in the pack. On Christmas eve I put the pack in the cup holder of my car and hid a bottle of champaign under the seat. On our way to her parents house that evening she saw the pack, opened it, and said "no Barry Sanders rookie". Twenty seven years later the family has grown and so has the card collection. Pretty sure I won't get away with a pack of cards as an anniversary gift Friday (unless it's vintage).

VERY cool story! Thank you for sharing!

Billy5858 10-25-2017 10:40 PM

Great post :) 👍👍👍

JollyElm 10-26-2017 03:20 AM

Since many people act like contrarians around these parts, I'll do it for you. Kick her to the curb, man!!! :)