Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   M116 Blue Proof Blank Back (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=342637)

Moonshot Moose 11-13-2023 09:20 AM

M116 Blue Proof Blank Back

2 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone, has anyone come across one of these before? Also, what kind of value would one carry?
Thanks!

Leon 11-13-2023 10:49 AM

Quite s few of these just sold in auction. Based on the ones sold, I would put yours at $400-$500, but your mileage may vary! If 2 Lajoie collectors want it, at the same time, who knows?

My type from the "set", as shown before (because I show stuff all the time)....

https://luckeycards.com/m116johnson.jpg

Rhotchkiss 11-13-2023 11:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I too have seen these; I think an M Brown has floated around the BST.

My question is why is it a proof? In t206 world, there are plenty of bank banks that are not proofs. The fact that the name/all writing is missing on the M116s is material, perhaps determinative. But don’t proofs normals have markings on the sides and top-bottom intended to center the image (see image below)?

Jstottlemire1 11-13-2023 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 2388281)
Quite s few of these just sold in auction. Based on the ones sold, I would put yours at $400-$500, but your mileage may vary! If 2 Lajoie collectors want it, at the same time, who knows?

Facebook collectors have already bid this card offering sadly up over 700$ and the guy did not accept it. I too thought value was in line, with what you listed above.

bnorth 11-13-2023 11:09 AM

Proofs can be as simple as a blank back but all blank backs are not proofs. Many proofs have a design difference than the finished card. Some have the marks like the Mathewson.

Leon 11-13-2023 11:15 AM

I have never thought, nor do I think, these are proofs. I think they are cuts from an ad piece. Of course that is only speculation but it's reasonable.

A proof is like the one Ryan showed (and I used to own :()

edited to add, maybe they are scraps before the finals were made, but not necessarily the proofs, who knows?

brianp-beme 11-13-2023 11:30 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Another Net54 Brian had a bunch of these that he obtained and eventually sold. I got this one a few years back when it came up for auction with a bunch of others as individual lots. The big borders on this example make it very clear that these cards have no printer's centering marks, like the ones seen on Ryan's T206 Matty.

Brian

tiger8mush 11-13-2023 11:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My example from that "other" Net54 Brian :)

p.s. at least the author got the team name correct on the reverse.

Luke 11-13-2023 12:03 PM

I once owned the Crawford from the group and was bummed that neither PSA or SGC would holder it. As Leon mentioned, you're asking at a good time as a ton of them just sold (via Sterling I believe).

packs 11-13-2023 12:13 PM

I've got a Pelty. One thing that makes me think these aren't from an advertising piece is that the players names and teams aren't printed on them. Maybe pre-production? I don't know how popular Barney Pelty was but I would think it would be hard to pick him out of a line up. If it were for advertising I think they'd name him and other common players like him.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...513e1c0151.jpg

NiceDocter 11-13-2023 12:42 PM

for what its worth

2 Attachment(s)
Bought this off eBay about a year or so ago..... has a blank back but does have the name and team unlike the others. Its a blank back..... probably not a proof but from a cut advertising sheet IMO.

Moonshot Moose 11-14-2023 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 2388281)

Thanks .

I was thinking right along there as well.

shammus 11-14-2023 02:13 PM

Hi all, I'm the "other Net54 Brian" that had a large number of these. I had won a group of 65 of the captionless, blank backed "Proofs" in an REA auction over a decade ago and sold a large number of them last year. Judging by how it looks, the Lajoie from the original post could possibly have been a part of the same original collection given those two major characteristics along with the pinhole at the top and the writing on the back. It's interesting that the Lajoie was NOT part of my group, which did however include Leon's WaJo, so it's neat that other examples of those have survived. I don't believe I've seen any until today.

All of the other M116s I'm seeing in this thread came from my REA group with the exception being Rocky's Collins. I've owned a few handcut cards like this and can verify that the card stock used in these sort of cards is different from the captionless blank backs. The card stock is of a heavier, greyer more cardboard-like material. The other captionless cards are of a thinner stock and "whitish" in nature. Many of them are white as a cue-ball on the back.

Fun post....thanks for sharing this one!!

shammus 11-14-2023 02:18 PM

Original Auction I won -
https://robertedwardauctions.com/auc...walter-johnson

packs 11-14-2023 02:23 PM

What do you think about them as the original buyer of the lot? I still feel like if these were part of an advertisement, there wouldn't be so many common players without their names and teams listed underneath.

tycobb 11-14-2023 03:56 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Great Thread !!!

Here are some from most likely an advertisement piece.
These have been in my collection for about 14 years.

Anyone have anymore info. on M116 advertisement cutouts ?

Attachment 597248
Attachment 597249
Attachment 597250
Attachment 597251
Attachment 597252
Attachment 597253

G1911 11-14-2023 05:51 PM

I too doubt these are all proofs, but the crosshair alignment marks do not make a proof. Alignment marks indicate a proof, but there are many stages of proofing and multiple sheets were run (at least for the T's, provably) in different stages of proofing. Many proofs won't have the alignment marks. Usually it's something of an educated guess if a card is a proof or just incomplete from an unfinished sheet that got scrapped and backdoored, but we can produce proven proofs without crosshair alignment marks for the T cards.

gabrinus 11-14-2023 05:55 PM

cool

Cool thread guys...those are awesome Jorge...Jerry

soxinseven 11-15-2023 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jstottlemire1 (Post 2388286)
Facebook collectors have already bid this card offering sadly up over 700$ and the guy did not accept it. I too thought value was in line, with what you listed above.

Social media now reminds me of the days when I first started collecting on this forum. Cards often get snatched up quickly at full price or sell for a bit more than realistic value. The new influx of collectors to the pre war pool certainly has kept values steady and also made once common issues seem scarce.

tycobb 11-15-2023 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gabrinus (Post 2388719)
Cool thread guys...those are awesome Jorge...Jerry

Thanks Jerry appreciate it. Every time i pull these guys out ( which is not often ) im immediately reminded just how much i really dig this set. The blue backgrounds are just awesome !!

Jstottlemire1 11-15-2023 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soxinseven (Post 2388913)
Social media now reminds me of the days when I first started collecting on this forum. Cards often get snatched up quickly at full price or sell for a bit more than realistic value. The new influx of collectors to the pre war pool certainly has kept values steady and also made once common issues seem scarce.

Steve,

Def hit the mail on the head as we’ve discussed this in the past. Fb is full of swindlers in the card forums.

Moonshot Moose 11-17-2023 05:12 PM

Ended up selling for $1000...

Rhinoactions 11-18-2023 03:24 PM

I bought lajoie

Hey All

I bought the lajoie. It’s a card I’ve always wanted and when the proof popped up on Facebook, I didn’t really think twice about it. Just last week a similar Bresnahan sold at the sterling auction for over $400 if you include tax, shipping, and premium. Lajoie for $1000 seemed a bit high but fair. Too often cards have sold while I was negotiating, I didn’t want that to happen this time.

Thanks

Josh Reiner
Rhinoauctions on eBay