Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   1963 Card Collectors Company Order...almost (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=234850)

brianp-beme 02-03-2017 09:11 PM

1963 Card Collectors Company Order...almost

3 Attachment(s)
In David's series of postings about the history of the hobby he included a scan of the 1963 Card Collectors Company price list from the early 1960's. I found my much older brother's copy of this price list (he handed over all his hobby stuff to me and my other brother back in the early 1970's), and included in the price list is an order form filled out by my brother.

He was a big Dodgers and Duke Snider fan, so it is not surprising that all the higher price (10 and 15 cent) early 50's cards he has listed feature Duke Snider. He also has the Snider and Ted Williams 1956 Topps Buttons (Pins) on the order form.

Even his alternate choices in the 1957 set for the most part showcased his search for the stars: Ted Williams, Aaron, Ford, F. Robinson, Spahn, Snider, Koufax, Campanella, Yankees Power Hitters card, while his Dodgers slant accounts for Jim Gilliam, Dodgers Sluggers and Dodgers Team Card selection. The Giles/Harridge card selection is just plain weird and my brother is no longer invited to future family gatherings because of it.

His was probably a typical kid order...trying to get the big names at the flat rate listed for each year. I can definitely see that it was just this type of order that would have, like David laid out in his posting, lead to dealers implementing more extensive tiered pricing for the star players in a set.

Alas, he never mailed this order off, so the Card Collectors Company never got his hard earned dollar, but at least you all get to see my brother's relatively neat handwriting.

Brian...my brother's name has been intentionally obscured to protect the guilty. A bonus is that the order should come quicker now.

hangman62 02-04-2017 05:32 AM

order

wow,
one buck..put it in the mail..maybe even don't seal and tape the envelope..and off it goes

BruceinGa 02-04-2017 05:41 AM

Great post! That is a year or two after I stopped "collecting". It wasn't really collecting as collecting is today.
Too bad I didn't know about the 1963 Card Collectors Company price list. :(

toppcat 02-04-2017 06:59 AM

I've collected Snider items for years-that's great, love it!

spaidly 02-04-2017 07:16 AM

Go Dodgers!

I would have filled out that order for the exact same way except add three zeros. That's for sharing that.
Scott

brianp-beme 02-04-2017 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hangman62 (Post 1627284)
wow,
one buck..put it in the mail..maybe even don't seal and tape the envelope..and off it goes

I'm thinking after robbing the piggy bank he would have taped quarters, dimes and nickels to the order form.

Brian

jakeinge 03-20-2017 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianp-beme (Post 1627254)
In David's series of postings about the history of the hobby he included a scan of the 1963 Card Collectors Company price list from the early 1960's. I found my much older brother's copy of this price list (he handed over all his hobby stuff to me and my other brother back in the early 1970's), and included in the price list is an order form filled out by my brother.

He was a big Dodgers and Duke Snider fan, so it is not surprising that all the higher price (10 and 15 cent) early 50's cards he has listed feature Duke Snider. He also has the Snider and Ted Williams 1956 Topps Buttons (Pins) on the order form.

Even his alternate choices in the 1957 set for the most part showcased his search for the stars: Ted Williams, Aaron, Ford, F. Robinson, Spahn, Snider, Koufax, Campanella, Yankees Power Hitters card, while his Dodgers slant accounts for Jim Gilliam, Dodgers Sluggers and Dodgers Team Card selection. The Giles/Harridge card selection is just plain weird and my brother is no longer invited to future family gatherings because of it.

His was probably a typical kid order...trying to get the big names at the flat rate listed for each year. I can definitely see that it was just this type of order that would have, like David laid out in his posting, lead to dealers implementing more extensive tiered pricing for the star players in a set.

Alas, he never mailed this order off, so the Card Collectors Company never got his hard earned dollar, but at least you all get to see my brother's relatively neat handwriting.

Brian...my brother's name has been intentionally obscured to protect the guilty. A bonus is that the order should come quicker now.

I'd call them and this is what you'd hear from me. "Hello sir, how many 52' Topps Mantles do you have? Great! I'll take them all! Thank you!"

brian1961 03-21-2017 10:48 AM

I think you are under the misperception the 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle could be easily acquired by the few mail order firms of the time.

In about 1969, I wrote to Bruce Yeko at Wholesale Cards Co. inquiring about the availability and price of that prized piece. Writing me back in his jagged scrawl, he had written $15, but crossed it out and wrote $20, and the cautionary "when available".

I am certain nearly ever '52 Mantle to be had were part of complete sets they had available. The price for them at the time seemed astronomical; today of course it is minuscule. Having to purchase the entire '52 set just to get the Mantle, or at least the primary motivation, would have been a substantial deterrent to any kid, tween, or teen. Of course, as we all know, in retrospect .....

I was able to finally get my 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle from Larry Fritsch during the first couple weeks of 1973. Oh how I miss that glorious card........:( Yeah, I know, it would be worth a small fortune, but I miss the card; it's such a beautiful card of Mickey.:(

Nice trip down memory lane, sort of. ---Brian Powell

Leon 03-23-2017 02:45 PM

Great Stuff, thanks for sharing. I too remember when a buck was good money...

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianp-beme (Post 1627254)