Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Mr. Counterfeit (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=246137)

ChiSoxFan 10-13-2017 10:03 PM

Mr. Counterfeit

Thought this was really interesting.

Autograph counterfeit ring. Forged autos from Ty Cobb and Babe Ruth to Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa. Also from famous entertainers like Ringo Star and Marilyn Monroe

Even showed how they "aged" new baseballs for Babe Ruth autos.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=21011515

OsFan 10-14-2017 05:26 AM

Wow

jb67 10-14-2017 08:03 AM

I'm glad I am not an auto. collector. Crazy stuff.

Snapolit1 10-14-2017 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb67 (Post 1710231)
I'm glad I am not an auto. collector. Crazy stuff.

Ditto. I'd guess the majority of vintage autographs out there are fakes.

bnorth 10-14-2017 08:33 AM

Thanks for posting the video. I have a Babe Ruth and Ted Williams I purchased(paid shipping) just because Greg was the forger.:eek:

I still need a Joe DiMaggio forged by Greg to complete my forgery collection.

icollectDCsports 10-14-2017 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1710240)
Thanks for posting the video. I have a Babe Ruth and Ted Williams I purchased(paid shipping) just because Greg was the forger.:eek:

But can you get someone to authenticate the forgery as a legit Greg signature?

rdwyer 10-14-2017 09:16 AM

Just got my Dizzy Dean auto authenticated yesterday at PSA Fridays. Was sweating bullets, but it was ok. The waiting and worrying was the hard part.

BeanTown 10-14-2017 09:35 AM

I would like to know the percentage of his forgeries that passed the experts "opinion" that are good, now graded by PSA. Very good story done by ESPN and thanks for posting. Hopefully they didn't forge the 500 HR Club print which I have in the basement and bought in the late 90s.

bmattioli 10-14-2017 09:46 AM

The prick sounds so proud of himself.. it's disgusting to me..

bnorth 10-14-2017 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icollectDCsports (Post 1710244)
But can you get someone to authenticate the forgery as a legit Greg signature?

The auto guys on this forum are great and know a lot of the main forgers so I trust their opinions on who forged what.

I have 3 forged autos in my collection. I got all 3 from this forum. People I trust posted in the autograph forum "is this real?". They just do not know that player good enough to determine it on their own. The guys that know those players and their main forgers replied that it was fake and sometimes who forged it.

They make great conversation pieces. I am not trying to fool anybody with them and explain who done them and how corrupt the auto industry is. Most people would rather look at/talk about my fake autos than any real Mantle, Williams, or Ruth cards I have.

icollectDCsports 10-14-2017 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1710264)
The auto guys on this forum are great and know a lot of the main forgers so I trust their opinions on who forged what.

I have 3 forged autos in my collection. I got all 3 from this forum. People I trust posted in the autograph forum "is this real?". They just do not know that player good enough to determine it on their own. The guys that know those players and their main forgers replied that it was fake and sometimes who forged it.

They make great conversation pieces. I am not trying to fool anybody with them and explain who done them and how corrupt the auto industry is. Most people would rather look at/talk about my fake autos than any real Mantle, Williams, or Ruth cards I have.

I wasn't trying to imply that you had any bad motives. Just sort of joking about what it's come to in the auto world that there are famous forgers and that their work can be identified via their unique quirks.

Marchillo 10-14-2017 10:45 AM

Not an ESPN fan but I watched the video and glad I did. Good piece. I collect autos and get many myself but do buy from "trusted" sources. My prized auto ball is my Ted Williams which is dual authenticated by green diamond and PSA. I'm sure there are Green Diamond fakes out there but hoping this one is real. I actually had a Williams that failed GAI that I got my money back on. I think this was way back when GAI was considered legitimate.

Marchillo 10-14-2017 10:57 AM

Here's a piece on eBay

MUHAMMAD ALI AUTOGRAPHED 18x24 LITHOGRAPH COLLAGE BY ANGELO MARINO FRAMED AUTO https://www.ebay.com/i/302024050856

kailes2872 10-14-2017 11:23 AM

Just watched the video. I recently binged the whole breaking bad series and Greg sounded a little like Walter White. He was good at it, he was an artist, he enjoyed the money.

irv 10-14-2017 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeanTown (Post 1710254)
I would like to know the percentage of his forgeries that passed the experts "opinion" that are good, now graded by PSA. Very good story done by ESPN and thanks for posting. Hopefully they didn't forge the 500 HR Club print which I have in the basement and bought in the late 90s.

We will obviously never know as I believe the guy was that good that he not only fooled PSA, he likely fooled all of them.

Him aside, don't forget about all the fake "Authentications" out there as well that were signed by other forgers.

I have one signed card and one picture and I think that is as far as I will take my auto collection. :(

samosa4u 10-14-2017 11:53 AM

Man, if I collected autographs, I'd feel like SH*T after watching this video.

brob28 10-14-2017 12:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If you haven't read this book its a great read about Marino and the forgery business. I'd say 99% of DiMaggio, T. Williams and Mantle autos out there are fake.

JollyElm 10-14-2017 03:50 PM

I really don't have much faith in vintage autographs being legitimate, but seeing how effortlessly this crook 'perfectly' signed Babe Ruth brings it to a whole new level. Yowza.

irv 10-14-2017 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brob28 (Post 1710318)
If you haven't read this book its a great read about Marino and the forgery business. I'd say 99% of DiMaggio, T. Williams and Mantle autos out there are fake.

That's a very high number. :eek:

I have heard DiMaggio didn't really care for signing autographs but did Ted and Mickey not care for them either?

irv 10-14-2017 04:53 PM

Quote:

In the blurb, it reads this is going to be a feature film.
https://www.amazon.ca/Operation-Bull.../dp/B00C0HODPY

The amazing true story of the high-flying national forgery ring that forged the autographs of sports stars and celebrities and ripped off the American public for more than $100 million, before being busted by a dramatic three-year FBI undercover investigation. As seen on ESPN, Tru-TV, and now being developed into a feature film.

MrSeven 10-14-2017 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irv (Post 1710357)

I have heard DiMaggio didn't really care for signing autographs but did Ted and Mickey not care for them either?

There are plenty of genuine examples of all three in great numbers.

John Henry Williams made his father sign at every waking moment towards the end. Mickey Mantle signed in insane numbers as well. Even DiMaggio was a volume signer.

One of the reason sticking to early examples (outside of the autograph circuit) & unique items is probably a safer choice.

brob28 10-15-2017 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irv (Post 1710357)

Hi Irv, I admit I got a little overzealous with the 99% statement, no doubt there are a lot.

OsFan 10-15-2017 02:46 PM

What’s amazing to me is I can’t even get my own signature to look the same every time.

JollyElm 10-15-2017 03:13 PM

If I was famous, I'd sign my name completely differently at times, including printed out (non-cursive) and in all-caps, just to mess with authenticators.

BeanTown 10-15-2017 05:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyElm (Post 1710584)
If I was famous, I'd sign my name completely differently at times, including printed out (non-cursive) and in all-caps, just to mess with authenticators.

It worked with Chief Myers until they figured out it was him.

steve B 10-15-2017 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icollectDCsports (Post 1710265)
I wasn't trying to imply that you had any bad motives. Just sort of joking about what it's come to in the auto world that there are famous forgers and that their work can be identified via their unique quirks.

It's not unusual in other hobbies.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_stamp_forgers

Forgeries by Sperati and a couple others can often have some decent value, and some people collect fakes alongside the real thing. Having the fake as a reference for comparison can be useful.

Steve B

Leon 10-16-2017 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeanTown (Post 1710611)

Just be glad I didn't finish erasing the signature. :).....Best hundred bucks I ever spent on ebay, I think. Glad you got it.

greco827 10-16-2017 08:23 AM

Never underestimate the power of ego, money, and a degree of sociopathic behavior.

pbspelly 10-16-2017 10:27 AM

Quote:

After watching the video, I went looking for the book "Operation Bullpen." I found a used copy at one website (American Book Exchange) that, wouldn't you know it, said it was "Signed by the Author."

greco827 10-16-2017 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbspelly (Post 1710780)
After watching the video, I went looking for the book "Operation Bullpen." I found a used copy at one website (American Book Exchange) that, wouldn't you know it, said it was "Signed by the Author."

Ah, the irony. :D

rjackson44 10-16-2017 11:33 AM

the book

is a scary read ,,if you collect this type of stuff.

Stampsfan 10-16-2017 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbspelly (Post 1710780)

OMG that's funny.

I wonder if there is any way to authenticate that signature... :rolleyes:

RichardSimon 10-16-2017 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1710240)

Unfortunately they are still not hard to find.

vargha 10-16-2017 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdwyer (Post 1710251)
Just got my Dizzy Dean auto authenticated yesterday at PSA Fridays. Was sweating bullets, but it was ok. The waiting and worrying was the hard part.

I believe Tom petty stated something similar.

baseballfan 10-16-2017 02:16 PM

interesting thanks for posting

Leon 10-18-2017 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardSimon (Post 1710839)
Unfortunately they are still not hard to find.

It was scary watching the video. No doubt that the problem still exists.

thetruthisoutthere 10-18-2017 02:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

A cherished item from my humble collection.

A copy of "Operation Bullpen" signed by Tim Fitzsimmons.

Attachment 291546

pbspelly 10-19-2017 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere (Post 1711496)
A cherished item from my humble collection.

A copy of "Operation Bullpen" signed by Tim Fitzsimmons.

Attachment 291546

Funny, I have the same message written to me on my signed copy of "Catcher in the Rye"

Aquarian Sports Cards 10-19-2017 11:23 AM

I have the same inscription on my VHS copy of The Happy Hooker Goes To Washington!...

alexanderautographs 10-19-2017 12:22 PM

Friends, if you think baseball autographs are bad...look into militaria! Medals, uniforms, hats, daggers, you name it. It's best to ONLY buy from the best in the business, real experts who will stand behind their material. I've been after some of the fly-by-night TPAs for decades, and they STILL surface regularly on some of the sleazier auction and dealer websites.

Mr. Zipper 10-19-2017 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbspelly (Post 1711749)
Funny, I have the same message written to me on my signed copy of "Catcher in the Rye"

Is this snide message your way of implying the signed book posted by Chris Williams is not genuine?

thetruthisoutthere 10-19-2017 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbspelly (Post 1711749)

If you're going to make a snide comment, have the guts to post your name.

RichardSimon 10-19-2017 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kailes2872 (Post 1710291)
Just watched the video. I recently binged the whole breaking bad series and Greg sounded a little like Walter White. He was good at it, he was an artist, he enjoyed the money.

Except Walter White was dying.

Mr. Zipper 10-19-2017 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irv (Post 1710293)
We will obviously never know as I believe the guy was that good that he not only fooled PSA, he likely fooled all of them.

Marino was great only in the volume he produced. His forgeries are not that deceptive. I'm sure some have slipped by, but not many have gotten by credible authenticators.

Note how carefully and methodically he "draws" the signatures. Trained eyes can easily identify this unnatural look.

thetruthisoutthere 10-19-2017 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 1711762)
I have the same inscription on my VHS copy of The Happy Hooker Goes To Washington!...

At least Scott has his name posted for his condescending remark.

irv 10-20-2017 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper (Post 1711940)
Marino was great only in the volume he produced. His forgeries are not that deceptive. I'm sure some have slipped by, but not many have gotten by credible authenticators.

Note how carefully and methodically he "draws" the signatures. Trained eyes can easily identify this unnatural look.

For autograph collectors, and the hobby in general, I hope that is the case.

Aquarian Sports Cards 10-20-2017 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere (Post 1711953)
At least Scott has his name posted for his condescending remark.

Mine was merely a joke (which is actually how I took the one before mine, but maybe I was wrong) I was trying to think of the funniest place to read those words. Was meant to be light-hearted, not in any way condescending. I tend to call things out straightforwardly when I have a problem with them.

pbspelly 10-20-2017 10:55 AM

My apologies. Based on the effusive praise in the dedication (it's not often you see the term "selfless patriot" in book dedications), I thought that Chris had written it himself as a joke. I thought I was playing along, not being snide. If that is a genuine dedication from the author, it's very impressive. I thought Chris was deliberately being funny after I commented that I had seen a copy of the book--a book about fake autographs--advertised as autographed by the author. Again, my sincere apologies. No need to take offense.

Big Six 10-20-2017 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeanTown (Post 1710611)

I love this card...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RichardSimon 10-20-2017 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbspelly (Post 1712138)
My apologies. Based on the effusive praise in the dedication (it's not often you see the term "selfless patriot" in book dedications), I thought that Chris had written it himself as a joke. I thought I was playing along, not being snide. If that is a genuine dedication from the author, it's very impressive. I thought Chris was deliberately being funny after I commented that I had seen a copy of the book--a book about fake autographs--advertised as autographed by the author. Again, my sincere apologies. No need to take offense.

The dedication is not from the author. It is from the FBI agent in charge of Operation Bullpen Tim Fitzsimmons.