Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The Charles Conlon Collection (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=144692)

Leon 12-07-2011 07:52 PM

The Charles Conlon Collection

I am posting this for John Rogers. John has been a generous supporter of Net54baseball in the past. I am pleased to announce this for him-

All Net54 members are invited to check out www.theconloncollection.com. Every single glass plate negative...yes, all 8400 of Charles Conlon's images are unveiled for the first time to the public. The Rogers Photo Archive has spent the last two years digitizing and identifying each image. Special thanks to the following net54 members: Yeakleys, Rhett and Rheys, Frank Ceressi and his team of Danny, Nicole and Carol. A HUGE thank you to Gabriel Schecter and his vast knowledge of those cup of coffee, seldom seen pre war players. Everyone was a great help in the project. We know there are some mistakes on team identification. Please email us for any correction. The site is fully searchable by name, team, year, etc. For lovers of pre war imagery, the site is an excellent resource. For equipment collectors, an excellent resource for uniform styles. SPECIAL: Until 12/20, all net54 members will receive 25% off of orders of 200.00 or more. Enjoy! Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah.

FrankWakefield 12-07-2011 08:45 PM

I'm having a helluva time with the Conlon site. I keep getting messages about unresponsive script, and Firefox has shut down on me twice. The other 3 times I tried the unresponsive script messages appeared and it seemed that Firefox locked up. Maybe I should use internet explorer, but I won't. And if that's why I don't order 2 of these expensive prints then well enough.

The site seems very slow to me. I have no doubt that what they're offering is of great quality.

I tried for over 30 minutes... that's long enough for me. I give up on it, until someone posts explaining how they easily got through to the players in which they had interest. I do hope to see here that the site has improved.

frohme 12-07-2011 08:56 PM

Slow, but..

Like Frank, I've also found it slow, but I've not had any errors ... just (nearly) unbearable slowness. Once past that, some of the images really are amazing.

FrankWakefield 12-07-2011 09:03 PM

Mike, do you use Firefox, Internet Explorer... what browser?

toppcat 12-07-2011 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankWakefield (Post 945653)
I'm having a helluva time with the Conlon site. I keep getting messages about unresponsive script, and Firefox has shut down on me twice. The other 3 times I tried the unresponsive script messages appeared and it seemed that Firefox locked up. Maybe I should use internet explorer, but I won't. And if that's why I don't order 2 of these expensive prints then well enough.

The site seems very slow to me. I have no doubt that what they're offering is of great quality.

I tried for over 30 minutes... that's long enough for me. I give up on it, until someone posts explaining how they easily got through to the players in which they had interest. I do hope to see here that the site has improved.

Frank, I find Chrome usually works on sites that choke on Firefox.

FrankWakefield 12-07-2011 09:09 PM

Topcat, have you used Chrome on the Conlon site, and moved around in it?

frohme 12-07-2011 09:16 PM

Chrome

I've been using Chrome, Frank.

Ericc22 12-07-2011 09:17 PM

Same problem here, with Safari and Firefox for the Mac. Just learned about Conlon today so I am excited to look around and will check back to see when the kinks get worked out.

Thanks for sharing the information.

Eric

Leon 12-07-2011 09:23 PM

me too

I use Chrome and it's slow for me too. I have sent a message to John. regards

Orioles1954 12-07-2011 09:54 PM

Those Arkansans just won't be outdone!

Runscott 12-08-2011 12:56 AM

What little I could navigate through was fantastic, but it's certainly slow and cumbersome.

E93 12-08-2011 09:57 AM

I use Safari and am having a hard time pulling up images too.
JimB

Runscott 12-08-2011 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E93 (Post 945753)
I use Safari and am having a hard time pulling up images too.
JimB

I tried to add several items to my cart and the button didn't work. Kind of frustrating - I eventually gave up.

I also didn't quite understand the subscription service, or which Palladium prints are available now vs later.

But really great stuff.

TT40391 12-08-2011 10:43 AM

The images are great

Thanks for posting this Leon. The photos are great and I will probably snag a that Fred Toney Cardinals photo. I have been looking for an image of him in a Cardinals photo for a while and this is the first time I have seen an image of him in that uniform at the end of his career.

Tony

Leon 12-08-2011 11:37 AM

site slowness

John responded last night concerning the site slowness. I just now sent him another email about it however, I just now went to it and it seems fixed now. Is anyone still having slowness issues, as of now? thanks

E93 12-08-2011 11:45 AM

Still not pulling images on the Platinum pages for me.:confused:

Leon 12-08-2011 12:19 PM

yeap

Quote:

Originally Posted by E93 (Post 945792)
Still not pulling images on the Platinum pages for me.:confused:

Hi Jim,
Here is the response from John just a few minutes ago-

"Thank you VERY much for the feedback. Yes, we ran into tech problems and it was slow as a snail. They are working furiously on it. Should be improving. Thanks again"

I just now noticed some slowness in that Platinum section too, although it did come up in several seconds, and reported it to him again.....

Marckus99 12-08-2011 05:31 PM

Wow, incredible images!!!
Thx John!

Runscott 12-09-2011 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 945803)
Hi Jim,
Here is the response from John just a few minutes ago-

"Thank you VERY much for the feedback. Yes, we ran into tech problems and it was slow as a snail. They are working furiously on it. Should be improving. Thanks again"

I just now noticed some slowness in that Platinum section too, although it did come up in several seconds, and reported it to him again.....

To make things more confusing, the prices on some of the platinum prints changed during the day, and some specials this morning disappeared as I furiously tried to add to my basket...which did not work.

Leon 12-09-2011 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runscott (Post 945974)
To make things more confusing, the prices on some of the platinum prints changed during the day, and some specials this morning disappeared as I furiously tried to add to my basket...which did not work.

Hey Scott
Give me a a call and maybe I can help......no promises but ya never know. best regards

Boomer 12-09-2011 08:09 AM

How do you get the net54 discount?

Leon 12-09-2011 08:14 AM

not positive

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boomer (Post 946021)
How do you get the net54 discount?

Since I haven't ordered anything I am not positive but when/if you order from the site, and there is no way to take a discount, then post here and I will get some clarification and directions. Not to worry.....

Boomer 12-09-2011 08:21 AM

That is correct. No way to take a discount from the site

Boomer 12-09-2011 08:34 AM

Is there a phone number to call to place an order?

Leon 12-09-2011 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boomer (Post 946033)
Is there a phone number to call to place an order?

I am checking on this and the discount offered.....

Leon 12-09-2011 12:53 PM

response

John's response-

"Leon- Yep...our developers didnt have a built in promo code. It will be up within 24 hours. In the mean time, they can simply email us through the site and we can create an invoice with the discount built in. Thanks again for lending a hand on this. Still encountering issues with the speed of the site. Slow again today. Working our bugs as we speak."

That being said if anyone has difficulties just shoot me an email at leonl@flash.net and I will make sure the issue gets addressed. best regards

Texxxx 12-11-2011 07:44 PM

The site is running better now. Still a little slow but not bad. Great pictures. Christmas is coming a little early. The discount code box is up. What do we put in it for our discount?

Leon 12-11-2011 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texxxx (Post 946735)
The site is running better now. Still a little slow but not bad. Great pictures. Christmas is coming a little early. The discount code box is up. What do we put in it for our discount?

In the first post that John asked me to help with this is what it says...

" SPECIAL: Until 12/20, all net54 members will receive 25% off of orders of 200.00 or more. Enjoy! Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah."

Again, I haven't ordered so don't know how it is structured but until the 20th you should put in a 25% discount on orders of $200 or more. If there is a place for a code I would put Net54baseball and that should do it. If John asks me I can give him any member's USER ID to verify......Please let me know of any issues and I will get them addressed, or I am sure you can email them on the site too. best regards

Runscott 12-12-2011 12:11 AM

The code is accepted with no software error messages, then I went through the entire checkout procedure, including entering credit card information, then it did not give a discount.

I hate to give up on this, but sending a note to their email address seems like a waste of time, given that the one I sent four days ago received no response.

Leon 12-12-2011 09:36 AM

should be fine now

I just communicated with John and had his developer test the system twice. He said it does work now and you must put in net54 for the discount code and it does work. Please let me know if it doesn't or if anyone else has issues and I will run them up the flagpole. John mentioned that he never gave me the exact code and I had said it was whole phrase of net54baseball, which is incorrect. I should have known it needs to be precise and I was shooting from the hip when I said what to put in....my fault on that, sorry........ thanks again

Runscott 12-12-2011 09:48 AM

Yippee! Order successfully placed.

Thanks Leon!

Leon 12-12-2011 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runscott (Post 946827)
Yippee! Order successfully placed.

Thanks Leon!

Thanks for hanging in there Scott. I appreciate it as well as I know John does. As you and I spoke about, for the cost of some of these pictures, they are a great value for the aesthetics you get. best regards

Boomer 12-13-2011 06:33 AM

The discount box worked but when I got to checkout I could not complete

Leon 12-13-2011 07:13 AM

hmm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boomer (Post 947008)
The discount box worked but when I got to checkout I could not complete

what happened in not being able to complete it? You can PM me or post it here...

pitchernut 12-13-2011 07:42 AM

What Type of photo's

So are these considered type I or modern day reproductions? Seems very expensive for non original photos...

Runscott 12-13-2011 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pitchernut (Post 947022)
So are these considered type I or modern day reproductions? Seems very expensive for non original photos...

Jim, here you go: PSA Photo Type Definitions

E93 12-13-2011 11:51 AM

I ordered a few photos and it went through but the Net54 discount was not 25%. It was nice, but closer to 16.7%. I have sent two emails but not received a response.
JimB

Runscott 12-13-2011 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E93 (Post 947092)
I ordered a few photos and it went through but the Net54 discount was not 25%. It was nice, but closer to 16.7%. I have sent two emails but not received a response.
JimB

Jim, mine came out to exactly 25% before shipping

Leon 12-13-2011 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E93 (Post 947092)
JimB

Hi Jim
PM just sent to you. Since you ordered 2 of the same thing the program only discounted one. It was a software error and is now fixed. John's team apologized for this and the other small issues. Anyone that has developed a website knows how this goes. There are almost always small kinks to get worked out. So far they have all been handled quickly and professionally. Once again John and team want to thank all of the Net54baseball members and wish them all a happy holidays. thanks

Jaybird 12-13-2011 09:23 PM

I notice that some of Conlon's images aren't in their database. Is this because they don't have those negatives? For example, they have one of the Roush closeups but not another, somewhat similar, image.

Also, not included is the classic Ed Walsh close up of his curve ball that is on the cover of the first Conlon collection book.

THere are a few others that I've looked for and not found either. I have about 6 or 7 that I would probably purchase if they had them. Also wondering if it is possible to get the Platinum Palladium prints in just silver so that I would be paying $150 rather than $1000 for the same image. I'm just looking to hang them on my wall and appreciate the difference in quality but would be nice to have the option of a lesser quality print. Though I'm not sure the process so maybe this isn't possible for certain images? For example the Wagner "Grip" image is only available in the Platinum.

Ericc22 12-13-2011 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaybird (Post 947212)
Also wondering if it is possible to get the Platinum Palladium prints in just silver so that I would be paying $150 rather than $1000 for the same image. I'm just looking to hang them on my wall and appreciate the difference in quality but would be nice to have the option of a lesser quality print. Though I'm not sure the process so maybe this isn't possible for certain images? For example the Wagner "Grip" image is only available in the Platinum.

I have emailed them about this very thing. I am assuming that the Platinum images aren't available in silver but I'd like to confirm. FYI I sent the email several days ago and haven't heard back. Perhaps the emails from their 'contact us' page aren't going through.

Thanks.

Eric

Leon 12-13-2011 10:05 PM

guys

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ericc22 (Post 947214)
I have emailed them about this very thing. I am assuming that the Platinum images aren't available in silver but I'd like to confirm. FYI I sent the email several days ago and haven't heard back. Perhaps the emails from their 'contact us' page aren't going through.

Thanks.

Eric

Hey guys
Let me see what I can find out for ya'll tomorrow. I am not sure but don't think the Platinum types are available otherwise. I don't know that for sure though. I will check on the email response issue also. best regards

Runscott 12-13-2011 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 947220)
Hey guys
Let me see what I can find out for ya'll tomorrow. I am not sure but don't think the Platinum types are available otherwise. I don't know that for sure though. I will check on the email response issue also. best regards

Leon - it says on the site that those 150 particular images will only be produced as Platinum prints. That's part of the appeal and collectibility value.

Jaybird 12-13-2011 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runscott (Post 947223)
Leon - it says on the site that those 150 particular images will only be produced as Platinum prints. That's part of the appeal and collectibility value.

You want me to read???!!! :)

E93 12-14-2011 12:34 PM

I just wanted to follow up to mention that the glitch with the discount was fixed and customer service on this was great. Thanks also to Leon for your help with this. I think the problem was that I ordered two of one photo and one of another and the website software initially only gave the Net54 discount for the first of two identical ones. They have fixed their software on that problem going forward.
JimB

Runscott 12-14-2011 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaybird (Post 947228)
You want me to read???!!! :)

I remembered reading it, but just now had a tough time finding it again - it's in the middle of the 'Portfolio Subscriptions' page:

"Taken as a whole, these sacred 150 Conlon images (comprising less than 2% of the 8,354 unique glass negatives acquired from The Sporting News) have been exclusively saved for this ambitious project alone, and will not be made available to the public in any other format."

Runscott 01-23-2012 11:11 AM

Has anyone received their prints? I have mine and was just curious what your thoughts are. Anyone order a platinum yet?