Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Mastro sentenced (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=210341)

calvindog 08-20-2015 03:00 PM

Mastro sentenced

If anyone is looking to partner up with him to shill bid their own lots in the next Mastro auction you'll have to wait for 85% of 20 months. Sorry, fellas.

Sean1125 08-20-2015 03:06 PM

Restitution?

Rob D. 08-20-2015 03:08 PM

Let the mock outrage, hand-wringing and pontificating from the best and the brightest begin.

calvindog 08-20-2015 03:15 PM

No restitution. Bill and his painful urination will start serving his sentence in late November.

frankbmd 08-20-2015 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calvindog (Post 1444416)
No restitution. Bill and his painful urination will start serving his sentence in late November.

After Thanksgiving with his loving family?

calvindog 08-20-2015 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1444417)
After Thanksgiving with his loving family?

And his priest -- not the one whose name he used to set up a shill bidding account.

rdwyer 08-20-2015 03:21 PM

He'll go in Mint condition and come out authentic. :)

atx840 08-20-2015 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calvindog (Post 1444420)
And his priest -- not the one whose name he used to set up a shill bidding account.

http://i.imgur.com/3ZVzMTb.jpg

JoeyFarino 08-20-2015 03:26 PM

Quote:

Lol...painful urination

JoeyFarino 08-20-2015 03:27 PM

If he's not careful he might get altered in his cell

Sophiedog 08-20-2015 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atx840 (Post 1444422)

LOL...good one Chris; just noticed Wagner's new outfit

CW 08-20-2015 03:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
hopefully he has his soap on a rope....

JoeyFarino 08-20-2015 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CW (Post 1444429)
hopefully he has his soap on a rope....

If they have powdered soap he's screwed...literally

iowadoc77 08-20-2015 03:50 PM

more puns

Not sure his "grade" will be the same at the beginning and end of his sentence
He may possibly get "altered" by a shank
Possible to get "slabbed" in solitary confinement for bad behavior
Not sure he wants to be sold to the highest bidder while incarcerated
Good behavior hopefully won't "trim" his sentence
Surely someone could "alter" his appearance in prison to make him grade out higher
And many more tacky puns

I still think they should lock him up and make him sort 5000 count boxes of 1988-1990 topps baseball into teams, 10 boxes a day, 7 days a week while listening to hour after hour of Harry Caray singing Take Me Out to the Ballgame. (Nothing against Harry Caray, but can you imagine listening to that hour after hour after hour)

Pretty sure he gives a you know what about what he did at this point.

Jay Wolt 08-20-2015 04:15 PM

Jeff, where will he be doing his time? & is it a minimum security place?

RichardSimon 08-20-2015 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Wolt (Post 1444440)

My guess is that Jeff will answer yes,,, after all, Mastro has to have a place to improve on his tennis game.

Duluth Eskimo 08-20-2015 04:28 PM

I'm sure he'll be going to a camp walk-away style facility. He needs to go to a place where he cries and prays nightly. It shouldn't matter to me either way, but seeing the posts about people writing letters on his behalf makes me lose all respect for those people. Mastro and his minions have done more damage to this hobby then all the thieves at every show, house, or car you've ever had something stolen from. I would like to thank the people on the board that bring attention to the subject. I hope others in the future will possibly think twice before running a scam on collectors, but that is quite a bit to ask for.

Joshchisox08 08-20-2015 04:56 PM

Wow 20 months ehhh. Hopefully he doesn't drop the soap.

JoeyFarino 08-20-2015 05:06 PM

I heard the judge said he was only allowed a cutting board and exacto knife in his cell...just sayin

Eric72 08-20-2015 05:14 PM

Quote:

His victims almost certainly experienced painful defecation at some point.

calvindog 08-20-2015 05:22 PM

Quote:

He'll probably be in a prison camp but it's still prison. And Marshall Fogel was there to support him as was Steve Grad. Jimmy Spence wrote his love letter to Mastro of course.

And Mastro still got off easy in my mind despite the fact that he immediately flipped and cooperated against his friends and co-conspirators.

Peter_Spaeth 08-20-2015 05:37 PM

Slightly less than two months until Allen (and Theotikos). October 14 unless I missed a subsequent docket entry.

autograf 08-20-2015 05:39 PM

Tossed salad for everyone!

Kenny Cole 08-20-2015 06:14 PM

Well, I can't say I'm surprised, but I can say that I'm disappointed. Obviously, crime does pay, at least in certain circumstances.

CurtisFlood 08-20-2015 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iowadoc77 (Post 1444432)
Not sure his "grade" will be the same at the beginning and end of his sentence
He may possibly get "altered" by a shank
Possible to get "slabbed" in solitary confinement for bad behavior
Not sure he wants to be sold to the highest bidder while incarcerated
Good behavior hopefully won't "trim" his sentence
Surely someone could "alter" his appearance in prison to make him grade out higher
And many more tacky puns

I still think they should lock him up and make him sort 5000 count boxes of 1988-1990 topps baseball into teams, 10 boxes a day, 7 days a week while listening to hour after hour of Harry Caray singing Take Me Out to the Ballgame. (Nothing against Harry Caray, but can you imagine listening to that hour after hour after hour)

Pretty sure he gives a you know what about what he did at this point.

I suppose he could be mounted and stuffed by the prison taxidermist.

autograf 08-20-2015 07:00 PM

What's the over/under on Doug now, given the Bill news?

birdman42 08-20-2015 07:04 PM

Quote:

"What are you in for?"
"Trimming baseball cards"
And they all moved away from him there on the Group W bench.
"And fraud"
and they all moved back.

Peter_Spaeth 08-20-2015 07:08 PM

Shrink, I want to shill.

calvindog 08-20-2015 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by autograf (Post 1444505)
What's the over/under on Doug now, given the Bill news?

I think Dougie is looking at about 8 years. Hopefully for Doug, his lawyers will have learned from the mistakes Mastro's lawyers made with his sentencing submission. I mean hopefully for him, not the rest of the law-abiding world.

EvilKing00 08-20-2015 07:30 PM

Since oj is away for stealing collectables maybe by chance they are cell mates??

Peter_Spaeth 08-20-2015 07:34 PM

The Code of Conduct

When it comes to business ethics and integrity, Mastro Auctions has operated ever since its inception under the premise that actions speak louder than words. We thought, perhaps naively, that that was enough. I have talked to a lot of customers over the last few months, both at the National Convention and through my travels, and have come to the conclusion that our customers, in fact, expect more.

As the hobby continues to evolve and new concerns plague our industry, the time to assume a proactive stance has arrived. To that end, Mastro Auctions is taking our unwritten code of professional conduct to the next level by enhancing the code and memorializing it in writing (see below). This act of leadership is not required by law or by the industry, but it represents the high standards of commitment and responsibility that Mastro Auctions has always embodied.

Since we just missed our deadline for the October Classic sale to make this announcement, this code will appear in and be in full effect for our December Premium Catalog sale. As always, we greatly value your support and assistance. By working proactively as a team, we can make a difference in the hobby we all enjoy today — and ensure that it is headed in the right direction for future enthusiasts.

Sincerely yours, Doug Allen
President & COO
Mastro Auctions

Mastro Auctions Code of Professional Conduct

1. Disclosure of Ownership

Mastro Auctions allows employees, authenticators, the Mastro Auctions corporate entity and other third party affiliates to own and consign items in Mastro Auctions’ sales. Mastro Auctions will disclose in its catalogs which items are owned by any of the aforementioned parties. PLEASE NOTE: The definition of ownership extends to spouses and immediate family members associated with the aforementioned groups.

2. Mastro Auctions Employee Bidding Rules

Certain Mastro Auctions employees are also collectors, and, similar to the practices followed by other major auction houses (e.g. Sotheby’s, Christies, etc.) are permitted to bid in Mastro Auctions sales. The following restrictions have been placed on the bidding practices of employee(s) to ensure fairness for all auction participants: · Mastro Auctions employees do not have access to ceiling or “top-all” bids. One designated administrative employee will have access to this information for the sole purpose of responding to bidding questions or for correcting bid errors. That designated individual will not be allowed to bid in the auction. · Mastro Auctions employees, the Mastro Auctions corporate entity, and all third party affiliates (authenticators, service providers, etc.) are considered related parties. These related parties are prohibited from bidding on each other’s consigned items. PLEASE NOTE: The definition of the Mastro Auctions “related parties” extends to family members.

3. Disclosure of Restoration

If Mastro Auctions believes or has knowledge that an item has been altered in any way, this information will be fully disclosed in the auction catalog. Occasionally, we will have items restored in order to improve their presentation quality. In these cases, the extent and nature of any restoration will be fully disclosed. Under no circumstances will we have restoration work done on trading cards.

4. Trading Card Guidelines

Mastro Auctions prohibits its employees from altering trading cards. Our policy on altering trading cards is in strict compliance with standards set by all major grading companies.

5. Use of Third Party Authenticators

Mastro Auctions is a company of experts. In almost all of the collecting genres handled by the company, there is an employee on staff who specializes in that area. As a result, before an item ever reaches a third party authenticator, it must first pass our scrutiny. Once an item that requires third party authentication has been accepted by Mastro Auctions, the following process will be employed: for each auction, the catalog will identify approved third party authenticating sources by category. We will not sell an item unless it has been authenticated by one of the listed third party authenticators.

6. Bidding Records

Effective for auctions held in 2007, all Mastro Auctions bidding records are maintained into perpetuity. These records are considered private and confidential. In order to maintain the privacy of our customers’ information, these records will not be voluntarily shared with any third parties.

slidekellyslide 08-20-2015 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calvindog (Post 1444411)
If anyone is looking to partner up with him to shill bid their own lots in the next Mastro auction you'll have to wait for 85% of 20 months. Sorry, fellas.

20 months? Seems pretty light considering the crimes he's committed, I guess turning on his cohorts did the trick.

Kenny Cole 08-20-2015 08:03 PM

Re: the Masto Code of Conduct

LOL. Q: so which of those statements are false? A: all of them? Q: Are those statements fraudulent, intended to deceive, full of half-truths at best, and wholly dishonest? A: Yes. That is my take.

Anyone who disagrees, please feel free to point out the part of that BS that you feel the principals of the company actually believed to be the truth when written. I don't see any.

I guess another letter will be in order here in a bit. Hopefully, there will be more who contribute letters this time. Step up or don't bitch.

Kenny

Peter_Spaeth 08-20-2015 08:05 PM

It doesn't get much better than the first lines introducing the Code, does it?

When it comes to business ethics and integrity, Mastro Auctions has operated ever since its inception under the premise that actions speak louder than words. We thought, perhaps naively, that that was enough. I have talked to a lot of customers over the last few months, both at the National Convention and through my travels, and have come to the conclusion that our customers, in fact, expect more.

Jeffrompa 08-20-2015 08:08 PM

Crime doesn't pay . Crime costs ! I would love to read the judges ruling .

Brian Van Horn 08-20-2015 08:08 PM

Here's the sad thing about the whole matter:

What will Mastro do after getting out? His career in any other field is toast and from what I have read, I do not exactly get the feeling he will learn from this experience. That said, my opinion is that when he gets out, he will revert to some similar line of behavior.

Kenny Cole 08-20-2015 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffrompa (Post 1444540)
Crime doesn't pay . Crime costs ! I would love to read the judges ruling .

Really? Mastro has millions in the bank that he "earned" by cheating his customers. He will be sent to Club Fed for under two years. He pays no restitution to any of the victims he stole from because there were too many to identify. His crime cost us, but it certainly didn't cost him too much.

calvindog 08-20-2015 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny Cole (Post 1444549)
Really? Mastro has millions in the bank that he "earned" by cheating his customers. He will be sent to Club Fed for under two years. He pays no restitution to any of the victims he stole from because there were too many to identify. His crime cost us, but it certainly didn't cost him too much.

Agreed.

conor912 08-20-2015 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny Cole (Post 1444549)

I was thinking the same thing. I'd happily do 17 months in a cushy min. security prison for a couple mil.

Shoeless Moe 08-20-2015 08:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Andy Dufresne: "Get busy living, or get busy trimming."

campyfan39 08-20-2015 08:58 PM

He and Subway Jared can share a cell

Jeffrompa 08-20-2015 09:32 PM

If crime pays so well why doesn't everyone jump in that boat .

Brian Van Horn 08-20-2015 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffrompa (Post 1444580)

Are we talking about bankers now? :D

RichardSimon 08-20-2015 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by campyfan39 (Post 1444573)
He and Subway Jared can share a cell

Who would be the top and who would be the bottom?:eek:

Kenny Cole 08-20-2015 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffrompa (Post 1444580)

Because most people are not smart enough to do it well, or to make enough money to make it worthwhile. Pretty simple.

batsballsbases 08-20-2015 10:17 PM

Jeff,
Im curious how much weight do you think the judge gave on the letters that were written against Mastro? Seems to me not so much. And for this crime what was the maximum sentence the judge could have given him? Like most I fell that this was very light, 17 months and yes millions in the bank most people work their whole lives and never see that kind of money seems like an easy stretch and walk away still rich. And people wonder why the justice system is the way it is. Last question why was there no restitution as it seems ever ordered? Was this his reward for throwing the others under the bus?

Jeffrompa 08-20-2015 10:25 PM

I think the sentence is way too light also . That is why I said I would like to read the judges ruling . Is there a Civil case to follow up the Criminal ? He can be found guilty there also and forced to pay restitution . He has ruined his reputation and name in front of the whole world . How much money will it take to buy that back ? The penalty doesn't fit the crime for sure . What I am saying is should we all be like that for money ?

Kenny Cole 08-20-2015 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffrompa (Post 1444593)
I think the sentence is way too light also . That is why I said I would like to read the judges ruling . Is there a Civil case to follow up the Criminal ? He can be found guilty there also and forced to pay restitution . He has ruined his reputation and name in front of the whole world . How much money will it take to buy that back ? The penalty doesn't fit the crime for sure . What I am saying is should we all be like that for money ?

Maybe a fraud case. That is problematic though. Where I practice, and I think (but don't know) in most other states, fraud has a discovery rule. Here, it is 2 years from the date you knew or should have known that you were being cheated. That can get pretty complicated and ugly when the defendant says that you should have known you were getting screwed years before if you had just read the fine print. I'm gonna try two cases in the next couple of months where that is one of the big issues

WhenItWasAHobby 08-21-2015 06:07 AM

So what's the status of Doug Allen?

Brian Van Horn 08-21-2015 06:11 AM

Is it possible that Mastro, Allen and Theotikos all end up in the same minimum security prison?