Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Next Hot T206 Card (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=258617)

Throttlesteer 08-13-2018 05:26 PM

Next Hot T206 Card

The Green Cobb has taken the world by storm. Someone recently mentioned that WaJo Portraits seem to have surged in price. Young Portraits also seem to be gaining some steam. So, what's the next big T206 to go nuts?

The Nasty Nati 08-13-2018 09:57 PM

Lajoie portrait and Eddie Collins.

Solemany2k 08-14-2018 05:12 AM

For years I've been scratching my head in wonder why the T206 cards are so far behind other cards and under valued. They have been a sleeping giant ! I think there going to surge for awhile now to catch up where they should have been by now . Where is the top ? That's the mystery but im willing to bet it's going to raise the bar like never before. Just My opinion

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Aquarian Sports Cards 08-14-2018 05:30 AM

Good to see the board taking Ebay's advice from the National and trying to stay ahead of trends...

ullmandds 08-14-2018 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solemany2k (Post 1803625)
for years i've been scratching my head in wonder why the t206 cards are so far behind other cards and under valued. They have been a sleeping giant ! I think there going to surge for awhile now to catch up where they should have been by now . Where is the top ? That's the mystery but im willing to bet it's going to raise the bar like never before. Just my opinion

sent from my moto z (2) using tapatalk

seriously?????? T206 have been and continue to be some of the most popular and highly valued vintage out there. You have no clue!

Bpm0014 08-14-2018 06:45 AM

I always felt that the Cobb Bat On was such an undervalued card. The pose, the smirk, the colors, etc.

bbcard1 08-14-2018 06:54 AM

I wouldn't bet on it, but you would have done very well percentage-wise just getting lower grade but presentable commons. There was a time recently when getting them for $10 or under in groups was a reasonable expectation but they're 2.5-3 times that now.

I'd guess that Lajoie portrait may be the next runner or perhaps the horizontal cards may take another jump.

pokerplyr80 08-14-2018 08:44 AM

I dont follow too closely but thought the Matty portrait was already going up. If not that would seem the most likely choice.

Solemany2k 08-14-2018 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1803639)
seriously?????? T206 have been and continue to be some of the most popular and highly valued vintage out there. You have no clue!

Wow I didn't say that ? I'm just saying I'm surprised it took so long to spike. They have been a bargain for a long time. Sorry your so upset over my post

ullmandds 08-14-2018 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solemany2k (Post 1803625)
For years I've been scratching my head in wonder why the T206 cards are so far behind other cards and under valued. They have been a sleeping giant ! I think there going to surge for awhile now to catch up where they should have been by now . Where is the top ? That's the mystery but im willing to bet it's going to raise the bar like never before. Just My opinion

you didn't say what?????? T206 undervalued????? So far behind other cards? I'm not so upset...you're just saying things that aren't true.

rhettyeakley 08-14-2018 09:26 AM

“Undervalued” and “T206” in the same sentence may be the funniest thing I have ever read on this site!

I appreciate T206’s for what they are but they have never been really undervalued as they are quite literally the most common set of pre-Goudey baseball cards on the planet. Sets that are rarer but not as attractive or popular are “undervalued” (like T207).

Solemany2k 08-14-2018 09:29 AM

Well I never thought I would be so disappointed on a sight I love so much with such sharp replies. I will excuse myself from the forum.

rhettyeakley 08-14-2018 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solemany2k (Post 1803696)
Well I never thought I would be so disappointed on a sight I love so much with such sharp replies. I will excuse myself from the forum.

Really? That is all it took, someone not agreeing with your stance on something? Not sure what is so offensive about not thinking T206’s are undervalued.

Bpm0014 08-14-2018 10:00 AM

Millennials always living up to the stereotypes......:D

ullmandds 08-14-2018 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solemany2k (Post 1803696)

felisha!!!!!!

pokerplyr80 08-14-2018 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1803705)
felisha!!!!!!

I think you mean bye felisha!

ullmandds 08-14-2018 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 (Post 1803714)
I think you mean bye felisha!

is "THAT" what the millenials say????

pokerplyr80 08-14-2018 11:24 AM

It's from the movie Friday. I consider myself more gen x than a millennial. Anyone who's see the movie would get the reference.

ullmandds 08-14-2018 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 (Post 1803727)
It's from the movie Friday. I consider myself more gen x than a millennial. Anyone who's see the movie would get the reference.

thanks for the enlightenment!

pawpawdiv9 08-14-2018 12:33 PM

Back to the cards- I always felt the Magie error has plenty of room to peak as being one of the premier cards. btw, I always enjoyed Sean's Plank card, the ghostly image is quite cool. Just an opionon- as I am not a die-hard t206 collector.

ruth_rookie 08-14-2018 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bpm0014 (Post 1803647)
I always felt that the Cobb Bat On was such an undervalued card. The pose, the smirk, the colors, etc.

I agree and voted this way before reading the thread. Glad to see someone feels the same way. Considering it has a similar overall pop as green portrait (from what I’ve read, anyway... never done the math) I think it’s overdue.

Bpm0014 08-14-2018 01:35 PM

No doubt!

Touch'EmAll 08-14-2018 02:15 PM

PSA pops

Looking at the PSA pop report, hard to believe the Matty portrait in PSA 5 has population of 49. The Cobb green portrait has listed pop in PSA 5 of 54.

The others: Johnson portrait in PSA 5 has pop 92, Young portrait in PSA 5 has pop 76, Cobb red portrait in PSA 5 has pop 185, the Speaker in PSA 5 has pop 98.

Any takes on the low Matty portrait numbers? Lower than Cobb green in PSA 5, Wow !

MVSNYC 08-14-2018 02:39 PM

I think another dimension to this, is when you introduce rare backs into the conversation. These days, they add tremendous value and desirability to the cards. I've been a T206 rare back collector for 25 years, and usually just focused on getting the different backs in commons only, figuring why pay a premium to have a HOFer on the front...well, I have to admit, that's one of my biggest mistakes in the hobby...I wish I had focused on getting HOFers with rare backs...I've done some catching up over the last few years, and have been inspired by Derek H and Ryan H (hi guys)...they were the smart ones!

rats60 08-14-2018 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 100backstroke (Post 1803780)
Looking at the PSA pop report, hard to believe the Matty portrait in PSA 5 has population of 49. The Cobb green portrait has listed pop in PSA 5 of 54.

The others: Johnson portrait in PSA 5 has pop 92, Young portrait in PSA 5 has pop 76, Cobb red portrait in PSA 5 has pop 185, the Speaker in PSA 5 has pop 98.

Any takes on the low Matty portrait numbers? Lower than Cobb green in PSA 5, Wow !

There are more Mattys in PSA 6 than Cobb. If you total everything 5 & above, Cobb 101, Matty 120. Sounds like the Matty portrait might be a good pickup, but it won't have the demand of Cobb. Cobb is a tier above the other t206s (excluding Wagner).

KMayUSA6060 08-14-2018 03:19 PM

Is it wrong to single out a specific card, versus targeting a tier of cards? Cobb has its own tier, with tier 2 being Young/WaJo. I'd put Speaker/Matty/Lajoie in tier 3. And so on.

If you see a rise in a certain card, figure out what other subjects are in its tier, and target them.

ruth_rookie 08-14-2018 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rats60 (Post 1803794)
Sounds like the Matty portrait might be a good pickup, but it won't have the demand of Cobb.

Agreed. Eventually, as is true with every commodity, fundamentals take over. I’m not saying the Cobb green portrait is in a bubble. Not by any stretch. It could run another decade or longer...no one knows. But when you see similar overall pop numbers for green Cobb (831) to Matty portrait (856), I’m not sure how much longer the spread between the two can last before green Cobb decreases or Matty portrait increases. Or both. Then again, I said this five years ago to myself and the spread just keeps increasing. Shows you what I know... lol

Screw it. If you got the cash, just buy both and call it a day.

Throttlesteer 08-14-2018 03:28 PM

I think it's worth keeping things in perspective too. Cobb has 4 cards in the set, WaJo has 2, Matty 3, and Speaker only 1 (his RC). Population reports may be an indicator, but prices don't necessarily reflect it. Also, it's more a function of demand and what's hot. Certainly errors or short prints will always have their mystique.

Lajoie Portrait certainly has made a pretty good move as of late too.

ruth_rookie 08-14-2018 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Throttlesteer (Post 1803804)
Population reports may be an indicator, but prices don't necessarily reflect it. Also, it's more a function of demand and what's hot.

Very true. And the accuracy of the data. I have no idea how accurate those pop reports are. With all the crossovers, re-grades, etc., wouldn’t surprise me if they’re no longer a good reflection of supply.

iwantitiwinit 08-14-2018 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Throttlesteer (Post 1803804)
I think it's worth keeping things in perspective too. Cobb has 4 cards in the set, WaJo has 2, Matty 3, and Speaker only 1 (his RC). Population reports may be an indicator, but prices don't necessarily reflect it. Also, it's more a function of demand and what's hot. Certainly errors or short prints will always have their mystique.

Lajoie Portrait certainly has made a pretty good move as of late too.

In my opinion it's the portraits. Wajo and Mathewson have great looking portraits and the yellow background make them pop even more. While Young has the green portrait in my opinion it is not as attractive a card as the Mathewson or Wajo.

luciobar1980 08-14-2018 04:34 PM

I think Eddie Collins, considering how great a ballplayer he was, is way undervalued and due for a bump.

Solemany2k 08-14-2018 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhettyeakley (Post 1803698)
Really? That is all it took, someone not agreeing with your stance on something? Not sure what is so offensive about not thinking T206’s are undervalued.

Some of you are too funny :-) I took the day off got some private emails and feel much better about what I said And maybe I should rephrase what I was actually thinking and writing And by the way I'm way too old to be a millennial and that did hurt uggggg LOL just kidding. Anyway by no means do I mean the set is undervalued what I actually was trying to get accross was so many cards I felt were undervalued for example, how the heck can you buy a card over a hundred years old that's a Hall of Famer for a couple hundred dollars? Believe me I'm very thankful I've been able to buy such beautiful cards at such a good price for so many years. I don't know how many cobbs I sat on for so many years like so many other people and they just never went up to much in value and then recently it's like they've woken up like a sleeping giant and they've more than doubled in price in just one year. Not all of them but your big players you know who I'm talking about. No Digs at anybody it was just my thoughts when I said undervalued. I mean when people are paying $1, 000 and more for current players when you could have bought a Cobb a year ago for the thousand bucks or so it's just seemed the cobbs were way undervalued at the time along with so many others. The dead ball era is my favorite and I am a history nut so a t206 fan I will always be.

ullmandds 08-14-2018 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solemany2k (Post 1803828)
Some of you are too funny :-) I took the day off got some private emails and feel much better about what I said And maybe I should rephrase what I was actually thinking and writing And by the way I'm way too old to be a millennial and that did hurt uggggg LOL just kidding. Anyway by no means do I mean the set is undervalued what I actually was trying to get accross was so many cards I felt were undervalued for example, how the heck can you buy a card over a hundred years old that's a Hall of Famer for a couple hundred dollars? Believe me I'm very thankful I've been able to buy such beautiful cards at such a good price for so many years. I don't know how many cobbs I sat on for so many years like so many other people and they just never went up to much in value and then recently it's like they've woken up like a sleeping giant and they've more than doubled in price in just one year. Not all of them but your big players you know who I'm talking about. No Digs at anybody it was just my thoughts when I said undervalued. I mean when people are paying $1, 000 and more for current players when you could have bought a Cobb a year ago for the thousand bucks or so it's just seemed the cobbs were way undervalued at the time along with so many others. The dead ball era is my favorite and I am a history nut so a t206 fan I will always be.

Why didn't you say that in the first place! I AGREE!!!!!

Solemany2k 08-14-2018 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1803831)
Why didn't you say that in the first place! I AGREE!!!!!

I thought I was but hey living in the Deep South things just don't come out right sometimes LOL

ullmandds 08-14-2018 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solemany2k (Post 1803832)
I thought I was but hey living in the Deep South things just don't come out right sometimes LOL

you're forgiven!

sreader3 08-14-2018 08:09 PM

Seems like some of the comments on this thread neglect half of the pricing equation. The argument from some Net54 Illuminati, in a nutshell, seems to go like this: “T206s are far more plentiful than other prewar sets, yet command higher prices. So they are overvalued.”

But viewing pricing solely as function of supply/scarcity is myopic. There’s this pesky thing called demand that also contributes to market prices. T206 is an iconic set (like ‘33 Goudey and ‘52 Topps) that attracts attention from thousands of collectors and remains part of the zeitgeist after more than a century. No other pre-Goudey set I can think of can make that claim (maybe '14-'15 Cracker Jack comes the closest).

So, yes, T206s may well be undervalued relative to other prewar sets. While past is not necessarily prologue, T206s have out(price)performed most if not all other prewar sets in the last 40 years. I think that trend is more likely to continue than not.

I say this as someone who a little more than a decade ago became enamored with scarce prewar cards and lost more than a few dollars pursuing those.

BTW I voted for Cy Young Portrait. WaJo was a better pitcher but Cy has the award named after him and thus remains more in the umbra of the zeitgeist.

vintagerookies51 08-15-2018 10:55 AM

There’s something about the look of the Cy Young portrait that I love, so that’s my vote. My second choice would be the red Cobb