Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Authentic T206 with a blue Sovereign back...take a look (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=270301)

brianp-beme 06-18-2019 06:43 PM

Authentic T206 with a blue Sovereign back...take a look

2 Attachment(s)
Came across this T206 Sovereign card of Campbell in my duplicate pile. I know I have seen T206 reprints with incorrect back coloration (red Piedmonts come to mind), but this Campbell, as far as my experience tells me, is a 100% authentic card. I have provided a scan showing the Campbell back in the middle of a couple of other cards with regular Sovereign backs as a point of reference.

Let me know any knowledge you might possess about this, and/or what you think.

Brian

brianp-beme 06-18-2019 06:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A closer look at the back.

Brian

CMIZ5290 06-18-2019 06:49 PM

Looks green to me.....

brianp-beme 06-18-2019 07:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Another closer look.

Brian

CobbSpikedMe 06-18-2019 07:36 PM

It does look a little blue to me. Cool card.

MVSNYC 06-18-2019 07:43 PM

I think the soiling has shifted the appearance of the color a little. But I'm pretty confident it's still green.

brianp-beme 06-18-2019 11:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the replies so far...definitely something funky going on with this card, as it seems to have missed the red pass, as you can see all sorts of red in the sky, uniform and cheeks in his more normal, non-identical twin brother.

Brian

brianp-beme 06-18-2019 11:14 PM

Let's just say that it is no longer in the duplicate pile.

Brian

Bpm0014 06-19-2019 06:49 AM

Definitely looks blue to me. Great card!

buymycards 06-19-2019 06:58 AM

Green

It looks green to me. The back has heavy toning, and the green has toned along with the blank areas of the back. I don't think this has anything to do with the lack of red on the front.

obcmac 06-19-2019 07:14 AM

The card has been altered chemically, possibly by solvent or an adhesive. It is unsurprising to see other color variations is the "missing reds" which are always related to chemical action or fading. Neat curiosity though.

Mac

bnorth 06-19-2019 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by obcmac (Post 1890463)
The card has been altered chemically, possibly by solvent or an adhesive. It is unsurprising to see other color variations is the "missing reds" which are always related to chemical action or fading. Neat curiosity though.

Mac

The card looks "off" to me also. If a card is truly just missing a color the rest of the card would look normal. This one looks heavily faded out to me. I have very little experience with T206s but on newer cards like in the 50s it is very easy to turn green blue.

steve B 06-19-2019 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1890492)
The card looks "off" to me also. If a card is truly just missing a color the rest of the card would look normal. This one looks heavily faded out to me. I have very little experience with T206s but on newer cards like in the 50s it is very easy to turn green blue.

Unlike 50's green which is individual blue and yellow passes, the Sovereign backs are actual green ink.

I'd have to do a lot of looking up, but some colors are prone to changing colors when exposed to certain chemicals. Some yellows "oxidize" to brownish. I can see a green changing to be more bluish. since a lot of colors were hand mixed, I can also see a batch being made with more blue than usual.

Ronnie73 06-19-2019 04:02 PM

I've never questioned the green on the back of Sovereign T206's but T59 Flags have so many shades of blue and green backs.

frankbmd 06-19-2019 04:09 PM

If the sky is green, that card is blue.

You might want to remove your rose-colored glasses.

sando69 06-19-2019 05:18 PM

"If the sky is green, that card is blue"

ok dr. frank-
with all the bs stuff that is currently being discussed (tho not in this thread),
"If the sky is green, that card is blue"
is THE quote of the moment!
THAT alone is worthy of a free breakfast!
(please, keep me in mind) :cool:

Bill77 06-19-2019 07:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Kind of reminds me of my T59 Big Run card with a half blue and half green back. You can see where something was spilled on the card and changed the color of the ink.

brianp-beme 06-19-2019 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill77 (Post 1890732)
Kind of reminds me of my T59 Big Run card with a half blue and half green back. You can see where something was spilled on the card and changed the color of the ink.

Thanks for posting that T59 card Bill. It definitely highlights, within one card, the effect of a liquid agent, whether nefarious or not, can have on the ink printed on a card. My Campbell T206 is definitely blue (the blue shows better in person than on my scan), but the card back does have fairly consistent 'toning', and the dang thing has odd little surface bumps on front that are visible on the scan, as well as a washed-out appearance, as was mentioned previously.

Do you all think the red ink on the front of my Campbell would have completely disappeared as well after being exposed to a liquid agent, alias solvent? Remember, even water is a solvent.

Do you think a reputable Grading company, perhaps SGC, would be able to determine whether the ink color had been altered? Or is that asking too much in this crazy world we exist within?

Brian

bnorth 06-20-2019 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianp-beme (Post 1890761)
Thanks for posting that T59 card Bill. It definitely highlights, within one card, the effect of a liquid agent, whether nefarious or not, can have on the ink printed on a card. My Campbell T206 is definitely blue (the blue shows better in person than on my scan), but the card back does have fairly consistent 'toning', and the dang thing has odd little surface bumps on front that are visible on the scan, as well as a washed-out appearance, as was mentioned previously.

Do you all think the red ink on the front of my Campbell would have completely disappeared as well after being exposed to a liquid agent, alias solvent? Remember, even water is a solvent.

Do you think a reputable Grading company, perhaps SGC, would be able to determine whether the ink color had been altered? Or is that asking too much in this crazy world we exist within?

Brian

No grading company will touch that card. They have been burned by too many altered cards that supposedly had missing ink. I have a 100% authentic missing ink card and SGC would not label it as missing ink.

brianp-beme 06-20-2019 09:52 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Came across a few other 'no red' T206 Campbell cards on the internet, for the sake of comparison.

Brian