Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Mugged by Ebay/Seller (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=214729)

Yoda 11-30-2015 08:11 AM

Mugged by Ebay/Seller

I need some advice about the vagaries of the Ebay dynamic. Not sure if anybody saw the group of Sporting Life cabinets that appeared yesterday, I think, of Chance Matty, Honus, and Larry L. on Ebay. God, when is the last time you saw such a group come up, and they looked ok except for the staining. The seller's story seemed almost plausible. The opening bids for the 3 non-Honus cards was $500 and I jumped right in slightly above the minimum and thought this was going to be a real interesting auction. Well, you can imagine my surprise when I received 3 separate emails saying my bids had been cancelled and I should go someplace to find out why. I tried but couldn't find anything and all evidence of the SL cards had been removed. Can anybody explain what happened here. Thanks. John

Sean1125 11-30-2015 08:13 AM

Send me a message with more info on the auctions and I will look for you.

D. Bergin 11-30-2015 09:16 AM

I'm guessing somebody reported the auction was bogus, possibly with stolen scans and EBay wiped record of it from existence. Seller might have had other stuff up that also drew red flags.

Leon 11-30-2015 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D. Bergin (Post 1477408)
I'm guessing somebody reported the auction was bogus, possibly with stolen scans and EBay wiped record of it from existence. Seller might have had other stuff up that also drew red flags.

Seller probably got besieged with offers and took them down. I was watching and should have emailed them :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Extremely-Ra...UAAOSwHQ9WWj1d

D. Bergin 11-30-2015 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1477410)
Seller probably got besieged with offers and took them down. I was watching and should have emailed them :)

OK, I guess all trace hasn't been removed then. Somebody else probably made a big offer to end them I imagine.

Jobu 11-30-2015 11:17 AM

I too was curious where they went and shot the seller a message. He took them down to get them graded - he will be selling them in the future. It all seems very legit to me, no effort to sell them to me and he says he turned down a sizeable offer already.

asoriano 11-30-2015 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean1125 (Post 1477399)
Send me a message with more info on the auctions and I will look for you.

Sean, did you get them?

Fred 11-30-2015 05:23 PM

It would be the smartest move on the sellers part to have them graded. It would be interesting to know what size the offer(s) were that the seller was given.

gnaz01 11-30-2015 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1477410)

Yeah, I was watching them as well.

JoeyFarino 11-30-2015 08:04 PM

I live 10 mins away from sumner..i can go check for you...:D

Yoda 12-01-2015 11:38 AM

Still a bit confused. Obviously, somebody enlightened the seller that these special cabinet cards would fetch a ton more loot if they were graded and, hence, he pulled them. Doesn't he need Ebay clearance to do that once the auction commences? I am missing something.

vintagetoppsguy 12-01-2015 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1477697)
Doesn't he need Ebay clearance to do that once the auction commences? I am missing something.

Not at all. Seller is free to end a listing early even if it has bids.

GregMitch34 12-01-2015 11:47 AM

Don't they often have to pay small penalty based on size of bids when they pull?

D. Bergin 12-01-2015 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GregMitch34 (Post 1477701)
Don't they often have to pay small penalty based on size of bids when they pull?

Based on Ebay policy as of a few years ago, A seller gets 1 pass to cancel an auction early with bids per year, more then that he gets charged a full final value fee on whatever the high bid was when he cancels the auction.

I don't know if the simple run-around on this would be if the seller also cancelled all bids before he ended the auction.

Bicem 12-01-2015 12:29 PM

Mugged? Sounds like it was self defense.

T206Jim 12-01-2015 08:05 PM

Now he has them listed together as a lot of four.......for a mere $100,000 opening bid, and of course he states "these are 1 of a kind!!!!!" , "I hear Bill Gates and Paul Allen may be interested" and "they are in a bank safety deposit box and we'll go to the bank together". Well that settles it, I am all in, who's going to outbid me?

BeanTown 12-01-2015 08:29 PM

Looks like he ended his first listings with an error in the listing and now he has everything correct with 100k opening and they are in a group! So much for a 50k private offer.

t206fix 12-01-2015 08:43 PM

Who cares about those silly cards? You can pick up a jacket from the same seller worn by Mel Blanc!!! I hear Bugs and Daffy are serious bidders!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jacket-worn-...YAAOSw8-tWU8Y7

slidekellyslide 12-01-2015 10:48 PM

He hears that Paul Allen and Bill Gates may be interested? LOL. Which one of you guys told him that. :D

Leon 12-02-2015 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeanTown (Post 1477871)
Looks like he ended his first listings with an error in the listing and now he has everything correct with 100k opening and they are in a group! So much for a 50k private offer.

Either someone bought them or he took them back down as they aren't there anymore. Maybe he will do some research and figure out what they really are and really are worth. Nice cards.....

bnorth 12-02-2015 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1477946)
Either someone bought them or he took them back down as they aren't there anymore. Maybe he will do some research and figure out what they really are and really are worth. Nice cards.....

Seller pulled them again. There was no bids. Seller seams like a stand up guy.:rolleyes:

I hate these type of slimeballs way worse than the people selling the reprints as real. The people that email sellers and ask to buy direct are a very close second. With a little knowledge the fakes are easy to spot but there is nothing you can do about the slimeballs that email sellers with offers or the sellers that accept them.

1952boyntoncollector 12-02-2015 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1477950)
Seller pulled them again. There was no bids. Seller seams like a stand up guy.:rolleyes:

I hate these type of slimeballs way worse than the people selling the reprints as real. The people that email sellers and ask to buy direct are a very close second. With a little knowledge the fakes are easy to spot but there is nothing you can do about the slimeballs that email sellers with offers or the sellers that accept them.

I hear ya...buyer beware...on legit cards though I can ask all day for a direct deal on this forum or other means off ebay but only when listed on ebay I suddenly get all these direct offers...(no bids at my asking price) so I don't think theres anything wrong to not give ebay the money and allow the buyer to save a bit of money and I net a bit more..

Republicaninmass 12-02-2015 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1477950)

It's unavoidable, and I've decided that the only way to counter it, is to stoop to their level. However, It really bugs me when someone makes the offer, gets a huge bargain, then asks for a partial refund because the cards "weren't in very good shape". It happens!! I try to communicate with the sellers after the fact, and ask who has made these offers. Hoping to find what happens once the cards have shipped.