Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Modern shiny stuff v. Vintage Pre War (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=145384)

YankeeCollector 12-27-2011 04:27 PM

Modern shiny stuff v. Vintage Pre War

One of the biggest reasons I love collecting vintage nowadays is because I don't have to videotape myself packaging an Exquisite Jordan Auto i sold with fear of a paypal complaint of an empty package anymore because almost all vintage collectors are gentlemen! Breath of fresh air! No more shiny stuff for me!

Leon 12-27-2011 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YankeeCollector (Post 950527)
One of the biggest reasons I love collecting vintage nowadays is because I don't have to videotape myself packaging an Exquisite Jordan Auto i sold with fear of a paypal complaint of an empty package anymore because almost all vintage collectors are gentlemen! Breath of fresh air! No more shiny stuff for me!

I agree Jim. Although i don't know a lot of the shiny collectors I feel that 99% or more of the vintage collectors are really great guys. I have said it many times before but the camaraderie in our niche of collecting is awesome. I have made some great friends since I started collecting, some 15 yrs ago....best regards

ps....I am sure there a lot of good shiny collectors too, I just don't know many folks in that field....

zljones 12-27-2011 04:55 PM

I second that, and the members I have spent hundreds on buying vintage cards from off this forum were all great guys that shipped fast, communicated fast, and offered fantastic deals to me. And they even talked with me a little bit about cards, which I never get to do in my life because everyone around me has zero interest in cards; friends, family, and my finacee just don't get it, hence why I have made so many posts for someone that has only been a member of this forum for 3 months.
I used to talk to the shiny collectors at the local card shop back in the mid 90s and I tried to collect some of those newer cards, and they were alot different from vintage collectors and usually alot younger. Talking about and collecting those cards bored me to death and made me stop collecting for 15 years til I decided to go with vintage.

kmac32 12-27-2011 05:06 PM

Agreed, and everyone for the most part, knows the riffraff

brickyardkennedy 12-27-2011 05:21 PM

Good point about vintage collectors, Jim and I agree.

"I feel that 99% or more of the vintage collectors are really great guys."

Leon, my extensive research into the matter, indicates that 99.3% is accurate.:D

Jason Carota 12-27-2011 07:41 PM

At the end of the day, be it shiny, prewar or both, someone enjoys and it collects it.

marvjung 12-27-2011 08:18 PM

You know, I actually collect both now. The primary difference I've picked up on is that with pre-war, the cards are a beast in their own right, beautiful, and aesthetically amazing, eloquently artful, and overall - freaking awesome!

The new stuff, I collect but I'll never drop the money that I would for pre-war; no way. In fact, I had mentioned on another board that my ratio of spending is 10 to 1 = pre-war vs modern. I don't mind getting burned on the modern stuff - it's only a few bucks. I'd get pissed if I got burned on pre-war and forums like this have been great educationally to learn real vs fake and good history lessons.

And it helps with the fact that I refuse to sell my cards - all for my personal, greedy enjoyment! :D

esd10 12-27-2011 09:00 PM

whats so appealing to me about the prewar cards there is a artistry and character about them not some machine pumping them and billions of them being made. i collected when i was a kid and my 1990 topps isnt worth the paper its printed on lol eveyone lied to me and said save them and they will be worth money one day LOL

Bicem 12-28-2011 07:10 AM

there are some pre-war dbags out there too, you know who you are!