Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   PSA VG 3 with a corner missing....... (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=201559)

Brian Van Horn 02-13-2015 07:58 PM

PSA VG 3 with a corner missing.......

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1933-Goudey-...item487a890f12

ullmandds 02-13-2015 08:11 PM

I love it! People pay...for PSA!!!!

Leon 02-13-2015 08:19 PM

Flesh wound.

gregr2 02-13-2015 08:19 PM

3 ????? WOW. That's a big missing chunk.

vthobby 02-13-2015 08:27 PM

VG

The VG in this case refers to ("Very Good" to have your money!).

:D

Mike

frankbmd 02-13-2015 08:27 PM

The card is graded correctly and labeled appropriately as a "Hack". :D

D.P.Johnson 02-13-2015 09:13 PM

That's wild...

Tao_Moko 02-13-2015 09:20 PM

Its crazy people pay for grades with any tpg. Absolutely crazy. There's zero chance of a long term investment on graded cards paid at graded prices.

freakhappy 02-13-2015 09:32 PM

What corner??? Maybe it was only created with three corners :eek::rolleyes:

Gobucsmagic74 02-13-2015 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tao_Moko (Post 1380004)
Its crazy people pay for grades with any tpg. Absolutely crazy. There's zero chance of a long term investment on graded cards paid at graded prices.

Not sure I agree completely, but clearly in this case.

Tao_Moko 02-14-2015 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gobucsmagic74 (Post 1380014)
Not sure I agree completely, but clearly in this case.

I'm sure some purchases will do well, when the card is undergraded:)

EvilKing00 02-14-2015 05:25 AM

ok so is this a fake flip or just PSA botching this grade up badly??:confused:

pcoz 02-14-2015 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tao_Moko (Post 1380004)

This may be true for modern cards, but I'd never pay any high end money for any prewar card that wasn't slabbed. With all the trimming & tampering that happens, anything that wasn't third party endorsed wouldn't get my money. Most people buy the card, some the holder. But, for me, I've seen cards I've bought for investment in a holder go up considerably, while others I enjoy for my collection hold their value while being protected in the holder. The PSA 3 here mentioned was an obvious error, as we're all human. But, for protection, resale value, I trust the tpg's for my cards unquestionably.

Leon 02-14-2015 07:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by pcoz (Post 1380053)
This may be true for modern cards, but I'd never pay any high end money for any prewar card that wasn't slabbed. With all the trimming & tampering that happens, anything that wasn't third party endorsed wouldn't get my money. Most people buy the card, some the holder. But, for me, I've seen cards I've bought for investment in a holder go up considerably, while others I enjoy for my collection hold their value while being protected in the holder. The PSA 3 here mentioned was an obvious error, as we're all human. But, for protection, resale value, I trust the tpg's for my cards unquestionably.

For the most part I agree with you Pete. But certainly not always. I absolutely will sell these as graded if they ever sell....but if I didn't buy raw I wouldn't have them. And we're not talking common T207 prices here...Cards can go up in value if they are raw too, btw.

ajjohnsonsoxfan 02-14-2015 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pcoz (Post 1380053)

+1

HRBAKER 02-14-2015 02:06 PM

I don't see the issue

VG - Very Generous

DixieBaseball 02-14-2015 08:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok... I would love to pile on, but I have been told by TPG's that vintage cards that are VG generally can have one bad corner. Now, I think they are taking that a little too far with the Hack, but check this out... Consistent, no?

freakhappy 02-14-2015 10:27 PM

PSA VG 3 with a corner missing.......

Quote:

Originally Posted by DixieBaseball (Post 1380429)
Ok... I would love to pile on, but I have been told by TPG's that vintage cards that are VG generally can have one bad corner. Now, I think they are taking that a little too far with the Hack, but check this out... Consistent, no?

I think you are right and honestly, there isn't much difference from the op's (and yours) card in question and a card that has massive corner wear graded the same grade. I mean, isn't some or most of these rounded corners missing their corners too? In this case, It's just not as symmetrical as most...they're just downright nasty like someone ripped it off.

Leon 02-20-2015 01:24 PM

Quote:

That shouldn't have been a 3 either.

4815162342 02-20-2015 01:36 PM

Quote:

Brian should change the title of this thread and add this scan to the first post.

Econteachert205 02-20-2015 01:44 PM

Could a computer be programmed to grade cards in a more efficient and consistent manner? The computer could hi res scan a card and have a program built in to detect flaws and doctoring, and spit out a grade. That grade could be quickly double checked by a human as quality control then finalized. Possible?