Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Exhibits: Questions and observations on 3 variations (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=262040)

tschock 11-11-2018 04:59 PM

Exhibits: Questions and observations on 3 variations

2 Attachment(s)
In putting together an extensive '1947-1966' Exhibit collection, I've noticed a couple things that might help clarify a few differences and maybe mistakes in some of the guides.
  1. Yogi (not Larry) Berra. The SCD has variations listed for the Berra card as "Printed in USA" with or without "An Exhibit Card" (and I may have seen this elsewhere as well). However I question if a "PIU" with "AEC" actually exists. Based on the print type and years issued, was this even possible since the AEC was only done for the "Made in USA" in 1949? Granted there are other 'oddities' but this one seems highly unlikely. Can anyone confirm a PIU w/ AEC exists with an example? Or knows with relatively certainty this is an error in the guide and does not exist?
  2. Larry Doby (bat well off shoulder border). This one is just irksome. Why not just list this 'variation' as "PIU"? While there is a projection difference (see below), it's not easy to tell unless side-by-side. So why not just listing them as the following? MIU w AEC, MIU w/o AEC, MIU w AEC scratched out, and PIU. Or does someone have a 'bat well off shoulder' (ie smaller projection) that is an MIU card?
  3. Pee Wee Reese. The old 'ball partially visible' card. This is similar to the Doby with a twist. It really depends on the cropping of the photo. However also similar to the Doby, there is a very slight projection difference. The PIU is a smaller projection by about 2 mm (from tip of right foot to button on cap). As you can see below, there is a MIU where the ball is partially visible, but the projection is the same as all the other MIU cards. It's just more 'off center than the others (see below). So my belief is that all versions would have the ball if the cards were off center enough. Thoughts on this one?

JollyElm 11-11-2018 05:31 PM

The Doby could be easier qualified by stating whether or not his cap touches the top border and/or whether or not his belt touches (falls off) the bottom border. Much, much easier things to see.

tschock 11-12-2018 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyElm (Post 1826380)
The Doby could be easier qualified by stating whether or not his cap touches the top border and/or whether or not his belt touches (falls off) the bottom border. Much, much easier things to see.

True. And that's the way I used to identify them. But I'm curious if only the PIU versions have this characteristic. Regardless, and looking at both examples above, either designation is more obvious than 'bat well off right border'.

Exhibitman 11-13-2018 12:30 PM

Problem with characterizing these is that there are multiple variations in the Doby cards. Look at these three:

https://photos.imageevent.com/exhibi...ize/Doby_1.jpg

MIU, MIU+AEC, MIU w/AEC scratched out.

So there are at least four different versions of the card.

I don't think it would be out of line with expectations for there to be a slight difference in image size every year during a card's issue. The question is whether these variations are of academic or actual interest. IMO a true variation like the different legends on the four Doby cards is far more interesting than minute image size variations between cards within a specific type, but that's just me.

tschock 11-13-2018 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 1826724)
IMO a true variation like the different legends on the four Doby cards is far more interesting than minute image size variations between cards within a specific type, but that's just me.

Adam,

I agree. I just noticed the size difference was with a PIU card (vs MIU types). I don't get why they make a deal out of MIU differences but no mention of PIU, specifically in the Doby (and a few other cases, such as Reese). If MIU w/wo AEC (or scratched out) matters to list these 'variations', why wouldn't PIU matter to list? (yeah, a rhetorical question)

Still curious on #1 though. Have you seen a Berra with both the PIU and the AEC designation on the same card?

Text differences seem like 100 course level stuff. We'll leave the differences between red/brown and sepia for the 400 course level. :)

Exhibitman 11-15-2018 02:17 PM

I haven't looked for one, so the answer is "I don't know".