Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Football Cards Forum (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Can anyone explain this? 2000 Collector's Edge PSA Pop Report? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=195814)

swarmee 10-22-2014 03:56 PM

Can anyone explain this? 2000 Collector's Edge PSA Pop Report?

Collector's Edge Supreme 2000 Pop Report
Pop reports are clustered for this issue as such:
110 or so with ZERO cards graded out of the 150 in the main set.
The other 40 have the following POPs:
~20 with under 10 graded
~20 with 550 graded

Of the Rookie Updates #'d 151-190, pops range between 1-20 for some, 292 for one, 500 for one, 1200 for one, and 1700 for MANY. Some of the ones that have had 1700 graded cards are: Jerry Porter, Joe Hamilton, Tee Martin, Todd Pinkston, Danny Farmer, Dennis Northcutt, Bubba Franks, Ron Dugans, Dez White, etc. Basically, IMO NFL non-prospects.

I have to figure that some rogue actor decided to corner the market on these cards and lost his shirt. Were there any Chapter 11 bankruptcies over this series? Seems so bizarre to me.

steve B 10-27-2014 09:09 PM

Two things come to mind, maybe some of those came in something like edge graded, where there was one graded card to a pack.

Also, there's a few aftermarket retail boxes that are "deals" like a hundred cards, a few packs and a graded rookie card. So they probably bought a big batch of rookie update commons and had them graded.

Steve B

swarmee 10-28-2014 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve B (Post 1338234)
Two things come to mind, maybe some of those came in something like edge graded, where there was one graded card to a pack.

Also, there's a few aftermarket retail boxes that are "deals" like a hundred cards, a few packs and a graded rookie card. So they probably bought a big batch of rookie update commons and had them graded.

Steve B

That makes sense. But that's a lot of coin just to provide filler cards in random graded card boxes. Must have been done years ago, before BCCG got started.

steve B 10-29-2014 08:36 AM

If that's it, they probably got a nice bulk deal from PSA.

I bought a few signature rookies unsigned sets from someone who had a bunch of the stuff he bought when they went out of business. I bet the same sort of thing happened when Edge went out, all that stuff they had left had to go somewhere.

So figure they bought the leftovers for a few bucks, sent in around 36000 for grading. Maybe $2 each? maybe less? Add a couple old packs they get for pennies and a hundred random commons. Total cost of the product around 2.50 including the packaging? Then they sell it for 5 at wholesale and it retails for $10. profit around 90K........Not bad, and they sell other stuff too. Better profit if the retail is higher.

There's lots of "deals" out there if you can spend big and move the stuff quickly. When one local shop that did some wholesaling to other shops went out of business the owner sold boxes really cheap. But wouldn't go under $2 a box since he had a standing offer from a liquidator for that much. I could have bought 5 pallets full of 1990 Donruss baseball for 2.01 a box. (8.3 cents a pack) The problem of course would be selling that much.

Another local place is moving and offloaded 2.5 million recent commons :eek:

Steve B

frankh8147 10-29-2014 12:02 PM

In 2000, they released Edge Graded and it was one graded card per pack. If I remember correctly, the graded cards were rookie cards.

Beansballcardblog 09-06-2015 09:01 PM

If I remember correctly, there were retail boxes (I used to get mine at kmart) where you got one of these per box. I believe that I still have some of these from the WVU guys (Jerry Porter and Anthony Becht) that were rookies that season.

pariah1107 09-06-2015 09:20 PM

This sets a little weird, these graded cards came in packs sold for $9.99 each. The slabbed cards were either PSA 9's or PSA 10's.

There are some cards in the set that have hundreds of PSA 10's like a player I collect Jon Kitna, and others in the set with only one or two examples of PSA 10's. MAy want to fact check my info, that's how I remember them.