Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   ‘38 Goudey Collectors (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=345116)

conor912 01-15-2024 09:41 PM

‘38 Goudey Collectors

I’m thinking of taking on the set in the near future. Anyone have any learnings they can share? I’m a seasoned gum card collector, but have never actually owned a single ‘38. Would be curious to hear about how people approach this set…cartoons or not? Would a mixed set be the talk of a mad man?:) Curious if y’all have seen a premium on one version over the other? Any other scarcities or pitfalls to be aware of?

Any thoughts or insights are much appreciated!

Zan 01-16-2024 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by conor912 (Post 2405113)
I’m thinking of taking on the set in the near future. Anyone have any learnings they can share? I’m a seasoned gum card collector, but have never actually owned a single ‘38. Would be curious to hear about how people approach this set…cartoons or not? Would a mixed set be the talk of a mad man?:) Curious if y’all have seen a premium on one version over the other? Any other scarcities or pitfalls to be aware of?

Any thoughts or insights are much appreciated!

Any card with the cartoons is a different card number than one without, so a complete set would have many subjects with two cards.

I am most familiar with the Greenberg as I collect him - he is featured on card #253 and #277. I know the cartoons are a bit tougher and command more of a premium.

brianp-beme 01-16-2024 10:28 AM

2 Attachment(s)
You would not be crazy. A complete set is 48 cards, two of each of the 24 players, but I think a mixed group of 1 of each player either no cartoons/cartoons is definitely the fun, economical route, especially since the set includes some fairly expensive players (DiMaggio, Feller, Greenberg, Foxx) that would put a crimp in many a hobby budget to 'double' up. Like Zan mentioned, I believe the cartoon versions carry a slight premium, but I haven't paid too much attention. And I have never heard of any scarcities in this set.

Good luck in the pursuit however you decide to approach it! Here is a Ducky Medwick with cartoons just so folks know what a messed up miscut card looks like (which is, of course, very important for a hobbyist to know). And the bonus of the cartoon versions is that you get to learn some fun facts about the player, but I am still unwilling to believe that Ducky liked to play ping-pong.

Brian

conor912 01-16-2024 11:11 AM

Thanks guys. My collector brain wants all 48 but my wallet is perfectly content with 24. I’ll probably start with half and then see how I feel about it. This project would be in honor of my grandfather who died a few years ago but had fond memories of the “cards with the funny heads” growing up in Cleveland in the 30’s.

refz 01-16-2024 04:14 PM

I’ve never owned a 38 Goudey in my entirety of collecting. I’ve had some unique types over the years. Before 2024 is over I would like to pick up the Foxx w/cartoons. Preferably low grade. Good luck on your quest

sycks22 01-16-2024 04:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
It's the only set I'm currently going after. Like people have said before it's only 48 cards with 2-3 spendy cards (Dimaggio, Feller, Foxx). Most of the cards are easily obtained for under $100 so it's easily obtainable.

hcv123 01-16-2024 04:37 PM

GREAT set!

Quote:

Originally Posted by conor912 (Post 2405222)
Thanks guys. My collector brain wants all 48 but my wallet is perfectly content with 24. I’ll probably start with half and then see how I feel about it. This project would be in honor of my grandfather who died a few years ago but had fond memories of the “cards with the funny heads” growing up in Cleveland in the 30’s.

Not as easy to find as 33's and 34's, but not so hard you can't put it together. If you are starting with 24 - make them the ones with cartoons - they are much higher demand as most collectors think they look cooler. The DiMaggio, Feller, Greenberg and Foxx are your biggies.

BabyRuth 01-16-2024 04:41 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Great set - get 'em all, you won't be disappointed. There is a rarer variation of Lombardi #246 with no black ball. Here's a few from my set.

Johnny T 01-17-2024 11:48 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I completed the cartoons part of the set only and have no regrets about not having any cards from the set without the cartoons. It is a bit of a premium to get cards with the cartoons, but they look so much better in my opinion. At the time I had so many other sets that I was working on that I figured that if I wanted to go back and finish the set with the first batch I could always do that, but that urge never came. Great set! One of my all time favorites.

Enjoy the journey!

GeoPoto 01-17-2024 01:33 PM

1938 Goudey: Zeke Bonura

2 Attachment(s)
Henry J. "Zeke" Bonura (pronounced like Sonora). First baseman for the Washington Senators in 1938 and 1940. 1,099 hits and 119 home runs in 7 MLB seasons. He had a career OBP of .380. He debuted with the Chicago White Sox in 1934. His best season was probably 1936 for the White Sox as he posted a .426 OBP with 120 runs scored and 138 RBI's in 688 plate appearances. His indifferent defense on balls hit to his right gave rise to the "Bonura Salute".

https://www.net54baseball.com/attach...1&d=1705523539
https://www.net54baseball.com/attach...1&d=1705523542