Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Best Thread of 2018 (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=263469)

mrvster 12-18-2018 10:49 AM

Best Thread of 2018

With the year ending ...... hard for me to guess yet (I like the T206 forgery thread).....what thread has been the best/most memorable of 2018???

:)

tough one here...

HOF Auto Rookies 12-18-2018 10:50 AM

Love having fake signed T206's :(

mrvster 12-18-2018 10:54 AM

I'm

sorry I know that sucks! thank God we have the super sleuths here on 54....

I hope this helps prevent future fraud

phikappapsi 12-18-2018 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOF Auto Rookies (Post 1837416)
Love having fake signed T206's :(

Yup, I think that's the winner. And it isn't over. As more and more card issues are proven affected, that might be the one that changes autograph collecting as a whole.

ullmandds 12-18-2018 10:57 AM

agreed...gotta be that thread...question is...will we ever find out who the guilty party(parties) are...or will this just disappear as has usually happened in the past when scandalous behavior is proven?

rhettyeakley 12-18-2018 11:32 AM

I think it is sad that the “best thread” of the past year would be the signed T206 scandal.

Not a thread where new information about the cards we care about or a new set being discovered but a thread about some a**hole forging cards.

Also, enough with the cloak and dagger crap, who is doing this. I see NO benefit in keeping the entire hobby in suspense, there could be other fraud that has been perpetrated by the guilty party that is still being passed down the line by other collectors/dealers. If I have done business with the guilty party I want to know that. The suspense reeks of self-importance by those “in the know”

phikappapsi 12-18-2018 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1837425)
agreed...gotta be that thread...question is...will we ever find out who the guilty party(parties) are...or will this just disappear as has usually happened in the past when scandalous behavior is proven?

I really hope a name is released by someone. While I understand investigations are ongoing, it would also be nice to have that info public, to prevent further purchasing, selling, and allow everyone to review their own collections accordingly

ullmandds 12-18-2018 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhettyeakley (Post 1837440)
I think it is sad that the “best thread” of the past year would be the signed T206 scandal.

Not a thread where new information about the cards we care about or a new set being discovered but a thread about some a**hole forging cards.

Also, enough with the cloak and dagger crap, who is doing this. I see NO benefit in keeping the entire hobby in suspense, there could be other fraud that has been perpetrated by the guilty party that is still being passed down the line by other collectors/dealers. If I have done business with the guilty party I want to know that. The suspense reeks of self-importance by those “in the know”

agreed!

mrvster 12-18-2018 11:35 AM

Whats your monster number??

maybe???

always popular...

or one of Teds

show us your......ect:confused:

Sean 12-18-2018 01:47 PM

It has to be the T206 autograph fraud thread.

Arazi4442 12-18-2018 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean (Post 1837507)
It has to be the T206 autograph fraud thread.

That's probably the most important thread but my favorite was the Top 5 pieces thread.

I loved opening that thread and seeing all the great, diverse stuff people collect.

Stonepony 12-18-2018 04:44 PM

deleted due to error

ls7plus 12-18-2018 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhettyeakley (Post 1837440)

Agree completely!

Best wishes,

Larry

Peter_Spaeth 12-18-2018 05:44 PM

I don't think it's fair to Leon to say he is being "self-important." He explained his reasoning, apparently he was asked by law enforcement not to post the name.

rhettyeakley 12-18-2018 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1837626)
I don't think it's fair to Leon to say he is being "self-important." He explained his reasoning, apparently he was asked by law enforcement not to post the name.

Where did I mention Leon? There is more than one person “in the know” as many of Auction houses have knowledge of the situation, as do several collectors on this forum. I saw what Leon said and I respect his decision not to mention names as he was asked not to, that being said I have a hard time understanding why it must be kept a secret. I see more being gained by letting people know the suspected individual’s name as I am sure there are other victims that may have no idea they are victims.

Peter_Spaeth 12-18-2018 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhettyeakley (Post 1837631)
Where did I mention Leon? There is more than one person “in the know” as many of Auction houses have knowledge of the situation, as do several collectors on this forum. I saw what Leon said and I respect his decision not to mention names as he was asked not to, that being said I have a hard time understanding why it must be kept a secret. I see more being gained by letting people know the suspected individual’s name as I am sure there are other victims that may have no idea they are victims.

I assume the reason others have not named the name is the same as Leon's, or perhaps fear of getting entangled in a lawsuit, why do you attribute it to self-importance?

I do agree with the bigger point though, I don't see what's accomplished by keeping it under wraps at this point.

CobbSpikedMe 12-18-2018 06:06 PM

I think the Recent Pick Up threads are some of the best threads throughout the year.

Lordstan 12-18-2018 06:08 PM

I think "Best" is a tricky term to define.

The T206 thread is arguably the most important thread. With any luck, the main outcome of the thread is that a criminal gets locked away and prevented to doing further harm. Additionally, I hope it might lead to a better understanding of how the TPAs should be used and what their strength's and weaknesses are. Perhaps it will lead to better quality control from the TPAs as well.

rhettyeakley 12-18-2018 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1837633)
I assume the reason others have not named the name is the same as Leon's, or perhaps fear of getting entangled in a lawsuit, why do you attribute it to self-importance?

I do agree with the bigger point though, I don't see what's accomplished by keeping it under wraps at this point.

There are a lot of people that like to be in the crowd that knows info/people that others don’t and it makes them feel important or more relevant. Fairly common in all walks of life. There have been some on that other thread that have implied that they have info that others will find interesting but of course they will “wait” until the info comes out.

Rickyy 12-19-2018 02:06 PM

Well technically this thread started in 2013....but Jeff's post of Let's see some postcards are still going strong into 2018 and is one of the most eye pleasing threads I have seen since I've been a member.

Ricky Y

Leon 12-19-2018 02:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Rhett
I almost always agree with you on these kinds of matters. I know your comment wasn't necessarily directed at me but others who know the id info also.
As I said in my last post about the subject, in the forger thread today, if someone has a situation where they need to know the info, I am not opposed to giving it out privately. I have already done it once today. And several times in the past I am only trying to help those with skin in the game and do what I believe the authorities said they prefer, as of now.
I have asked those who I gave the info to, to not make it public because of the reasons stated.
As far as being self important, I can't speak for others but just do what I think is the right thing to do in these instances. I am wrong many times. But I can give a reason why I do something, each time.

Back to topic, I think the forger thread might be the most informative one. I am not sure what the best one is but seeing the Fans Cigarette pack for the first time was petty cool. Way to go Jon, on that one.

And Season's Greetings to all!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhettyeakley (Post 1837650)
There are a lot of people that like to be in the crowd that knows info/people that others don’t and it makes them feel important or more relevant. Fairly common in all walks of life. There have been some on that other thread that have implied that they have info that others will find interesting but of course they will “wait” until the info comes out.

frankbmd 12-19-2018 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1837902)
Hey Rhett
I almost always agree with you on these kinds of matters. I know your comment wasn't necessarily directed at me but others who know the id info also.
As I said in my last post about the subject, in the forger thread today, if someone has a situation where they need to know the info, I am not opposed to giving it out privately. I have already done it once today. And several times in the past I am only trying to help those with skin in the game and do what I believe the authorities said they prefer, as of now.
I have asked those who I gave the info to, to not make it public because of the reasons stated.
As far as being self important, I can't speak for others but just do what I think is the right thing to do in these instances. I am wrong many times. But I can give a reason why I do something, each time.

Back to topic, I think the forger thread might be the most informative one. I am not sure what the best one is but seeing the Fans Cigarette pack for the first time was petty cool. Way to go Jon, on that one.

And Season's Greetings to all!!

I agree with my contemporaries about the misuse of “sick” as a descriptive adjective for an item they drool over, but the item you have posted Leon is in fact truly Sick.:D

Sean 12-19-2018 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1837906)
I agree with my contemporaries about the misuse of “sick” as a descriptive adjective for an item they drool over, but the item you have posted Leon is in fact truly Sick.:D

And that's coming from a doctor.