Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Early morning auction endings (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=250179)

Snapolit1 01-16-2018 08:25 PM

Early morning auction endings

Will you stay up until 4 or 5 am EST to win an auction?

Leon 01-17-2018 06:46 AM

I voted once in a blue moon but even then there is chance I fall asleep. I am not 20 anymore and all nighters aren't what they used to be. :cool:

Jason 01-17-2018 07:02 AM

For the ones that always end past 5am I will just call it an early night and set an alarm. No more all nighters for me. Not that I havent been there. I just dont find it necessary anymore.

Eggoman 01-17-2018 07:10 AM

There is NOTHING that I gotta have THAT bad!

sycks22 01-17-2018 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eggoman (Post 1739445)
There is NOTHING that I gotta have THAT bad!

+1

frankbmd 01-17-2018 07:21 AM

A juicy swollen prostate gland is an asset in solving this dilemma.:eek:

A successful operation on same ruins everything.;)

KingFisk 01-17-2018 07:42 AM

I have never bid with a major online auction house for precisely this reason. Won't stay to that late to win an auction. Fortunately what I collect isn't super rare, so there's no reason.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Snapolit1 01-17-2018 07:51 AM

Consistent with Frank's message, increasingly frequent trips to the bathroom at 2 or 3 am have occasionally coincided with a live auction. Even then it's hard to turn the phone on and get engaged. If you have the text messaging that shows whether you've been outbid that's helpful. But in my experience now a lot of guys just wait to the "last call" email before getting serious. You could be winning at 4 am EST and go back to sleep and still lose 90 minutes later.

iowadoc77 01-17-2018 07:58 AM

This is why I like REA's format best. Sunday afternoon. best possible situation. i place a bid and go to bed otherwise.

jasonc 01-17-2018 04:34 PM

I know for me personally, there is a greater chance of me getting up at 4am for an auction, then to stay up until 4am for an auction. :)

jefferyepayne 01-17-2018 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iowadoc77 (Post 1739455)
This is why I like REA's format best. Sunday afternoon. best possible situation. i place a bid and go to bed otherwise.

I like their format too! There are others who are doing things to thwart late night auctions ... either ending lot by lot or having a hard stop of some sort. At this point they are pretty much the only auctions I will bid in. Here are some that I can think of:

BST Auctions
LOTG
Heritage
Huggins & Scott

Vote with your dollars for those who are listening to what collectors want. It is ridiculous to have to stay up until 4am waiting for an auction to close.

jeff

itjclarke 01-18-2018 01:25 AM

I'm a total night owl, have no problem staying up. I am on the West Coast, but it wouldn't change if I were on the east coast.

I also prefer auctions that use the 15 minute rule and end simultaneously, since it allows me to re-allocate funds to secondary items in the event I get priced out on my prime target(s). A large % of items won through AHs have been this type. That said, I get why others feel the way they do.

Snapolit1 01-18-2018 05:27 AM

And your logic is precisely why the AHs do what they do. Reallocation in the wee hours. Never really works for me because it’s rare that I have a strong burning need for more than one item in a particular auction.

And I can’t stay up past 1 am if my life depended on it.