Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   *Received Cards Back Scammer Alert(Do not accept payments from or ship to this buyer) (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=186733)

Sean1125 04-21-2014 08:50 AM

*Received Cards Back Scammer Alert(Do not accept payments from or ship to this buyer)

This guy bought two cards off my website. Verified he received shipment, then started a credit card company chargeback claiming he did not authorize the payments (even after an e-mail string where I ask him if he received it and he said he did).

Email: trippleblack1@gmail.com
Tel: 916626xxxx

Billing address
Eddie Morrill
xxxx Ruess Rd
Ripon, California 95366

Shipping address
Eddie Morrill Jr.
xxxx Lotus ave
Sacramento, California 95822

pencil1974 04-21-2014 10:25 AM

Sorry to hear that Sean, that sucks!

ATP 04-21-2014 10:36 AM

Thanks for the heads up Sean. Hope you are able to work through it.

Sean1125 04-21-2014 12:55 PM

There are the two cards... So keep an eye out please!

http://seanbassikcards.com/wp-conten.../02/img213.jpg
http://i57.tinypic.com/mvrqtj.jpg

bozzio37 04-21-2014 01:05 PM

They both appear to be on eBay now...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOLAN-RYAN-1...item258d255fc9

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1976-Dennis-...item258d0a39d7

ullmandds 04-21-2014 01:15 PM

interesting...2 different sellers at that? or 1 with multiple personality disorder?

t206hound 04-21-2014 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1267584)
interesting...2 different sellers at that? or 1 with multiple personality disorder?

one in minnesota and the other in california

Sean1125 04-21-2014 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t206hound (Post 1267587)
one in minnesota and the other in california

The California one is the scammer. The Minnesota guy bought it from him (sold at auction for $300 when he paid me $400)

ullmandds 04-21-2014 01:25 PM

im in mn if there's anything I can do to help

Sean1125 04-21-2014 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1267589)
im in mn if there's anything I can do to help

Show up to his door with a bat :rolleyes:

ullmandds 04-21-2014 01:27 PM

it sounds like i'd be bludgeoning an innocent bystander?

Sean1125 04-21-2014 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1267591)
it sounds like i'd be bludgeoning an innocent bystander?

I'm not okay with that!! I sent him a message on e-bay.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards 04-22-2014 09:14 PM

What a d-bag.

drcy 04-23-2014 12:46 PM

If your story is accurate, the cards are stolen, aka hot. It's illegal to knowingly sell items you know are stolen, even if you bought them innocently. The cards would have to be returned to you, and the second buyer would be entitled to a refund from the seller he bought the card from. If the second person has been informed the card is stolen, he should be aware that he himself would be breaking the law by reselling it.

I just wrote an article on this very subject:

The Importance of Provenance in Collecting

JasonD08 04-23-2014 03:00 PM

Call the local prosecutor and detective in that town he lives in. They can try to scare him. If that does not work a PI can help but may be more than what the cards are worth. If he doesn't break you are up a creek. I dealt with this years ago on a PSA 32 caramel Ruth and PSA 7 33 goudey Gehrig. It took me 7 months and I did ALL the work to track him down even with FBI involved. Taking CC nowadays is risky. Good luck.

Jason

drcy 04-23-2014 04:51 PM

If I was the owner and they were indeed stolen, I would post the serial numbers on the PSA board, state that the cards were stolen and anyone buying and selling them is dealing in stolen goods. The only legal thing to do is to return the cards to the rightful owner. It sucks if someone unknowingly bought something that was stolen, but that's the way it goes-- that person's legal recourse is to get a refund from the person he bought it from because that sale wasn't legal.

Kenny Cole 04-23-2014 07:52 PM

I would contact the FBI's internet fraud unit. They once helped me with a scammer.

Sean1125 04-23-2014 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drcy (Post 1268479)
If I was the owner and they were indeed stolen, I would post the serial numbers on the PSA board, state that the cards were stolen and anyone buying and selling them is dealing in stolen goods. The only legal thing to do is to return the cards to the rightful owner. It sucks if someone unknowingly bought something that was stolen, but that's the way it goes-- that person's legal recourse is to get a refund from the person he bought it from because that sale wasn't legal.

I am banned on the PSA boards.

Maddog 04-23-2014 08:26 PM

You might also want to contact the US Post Office Inspector General's Office.
Since these are items of stolen property and the Postal Service was used to facilitate this, there might be a case for mail fraud.

bigfanNY 04-23-2014 10:00 PM

I feel your pain I once took a paypal payment for a card and when the person reported his card stolen the same thing happened to me Funds were frozen by paypal. I was lucky that guy was up and up and contacted his credit card and paypal and told them that this transaction was up and up so after about 3 months I got paid. But I was very surprised to know that by him funding his paypal with a credit card in the eyes of paypal I was taking a credit card payment. And I was really shocked by how quickly Paypal stepped out of the way and let me deal with the heat and offered me no help and my 3% bought me no protection. Scary world. Postal inspectors should help and hope it works out.
Jonathan

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards 04-24-2014 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drcy (Post 1268412)
If your story is accurate, the cards are stolen, aka hot. It's illegal to knowingly sell items you know are stolen, even if you bought them innocently. The cards would have to be returned to you, and the second buyer would be entitled to a refund from the seller he bought the card from. If the second person has been informed the card is stolen, he should be aware that he himself would be breaking the law by reselling it.

I just wrote an article on this very subject:

The Importance of Provenance in Collecting

I am not familiar with the federal law on the issue but I do not that different states treat this issue differently.

Sean1125 05-05-2014 11:55 AM

I wanted to update this. The seller who purchased the stolen cards RETURNED them to me - there are still honest sellers out there folks.

Sean

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards 05-05-2014 03:26 PM

That's good to hear.

Rich Klein 05-05-2014 03:27 PM

Sean how did you get banned from the PSA boards?

Sean1125 05-05-2014 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Klein (Post 1272889)
Sean how did you get banned from the PSA boards?

I insulted 4sharp.

Rich Klein 05-05-2014 04:38 PM

Thank you for the answer

Understood totally

Eric72 05-05-2014 05:14 PM

So...insult a particular member on CU and you get the boot. Reading this makes me that much more appreciative of Leon and Net54. Thanks to all for making this site so great.

Best regards,

Eric

Peter_Spaeth 05-05-2014 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric72 (Post 1272925)
So...insult a particular member on CU and you get the boot. Reading this makes me that much more appreciative of Leon and Net54. Thanks to all for making this site so great.

Best regards,

Eric

He didn't insult just a member, he insulted submitter numero uno (or close to it).

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards 05-05-2014 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1272957)
He didn't insult just a member, he insulted submitter numero uno (or close to it).

That guy sounds like a bitch. "Someone insulted me so ban them." Grow a pair.

Exhibitman 05-06-2014 07:05 AM

The civil laws on this vary by state. First you have to define the nature of the theft. You weren't held up at gunpoint for the cards, you were tricked out of them. In your case it was a criminal fraud--you parted with the items willingly but under false pretenses. There may also be a wire fraud and a mail fraud involved. Whether you can recover the cards is entirely dependent on which state the purchaser is in. I had a case like this a few years ago. In CA, a seller who parts with an item under false pretenses retains title to the item and the person who received the item cannot transfer good title to an innocent purchaser. You could sue the innocent person and get your goods back. In TX at the time, the law allowed a recipient of goods taken under false pretenses to transfer good title to an innocent purchaser.

bbcard1 05-06-2014 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I Only Smoke 4 the Cards (Post 1273024)
That guy sounds like a bitch. "Someone insulted me so ban them." Grow a pair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgq9wn0Fv1g

Sean1125 05-06-2014 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 1273085)
The civil laws on this vary by state. First you have to define the nature of the theft. You weren't held up at gunpoint for the cards, you were tricked out of them. In your case it was a criminal fraud--you parted with the items willingly but under false pretenses. There may also be a wire fraud and a mail fraud involved. Whether you can recover the cards is entirely dependent on which state the purchaser is in. I had a case like this a few years ago. In CA, a seller who parts with an item under false pretenses retains title to the item and the person who received the item cannot transfer good title to an innocent purchaser. You could sue the innocent person and get your goods back. In TX at the time, the law allowed a recipient of goods taken under false pretenses to transfer good title to an innocent purchaser.

The officer said he wasn't sure if it was fraud or theft so he just filed grand theft. The lady, luckily enough, was honest and when alerted to the situation sent me the cards back.

pencil1974 05-06-2014 08:19 AM

Glad it worked out Sean!

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards 05-06-2014 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 1273085)

In Louisiana there are circumstances where you may have to buy the item from the innocent purchaser.