Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Info on mini balls (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=195398)

ullmandds 10-12-2014 08:16 PM

Info on mini balls

Does anyone know much about "mini balls" such as this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310917687795...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I have one that my neighbor(sportswriter harold rosenthal) gave me in the 70's...it's my HOF ball from my youth.

I know these balls are kinda rare as I've seen very few...does anyone know anything about these mini replica official ML balls?

Nashvol 10-12-2014 08:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
As a way of boosting attendance, at the June 3, 1954 game at Sulphur Dell, the Nashville baseball club gave away 1,000 miniature baseballs; 700 of those ‘small balls’ bore the signatures of major league players, and 300 of them had the autographs of Vols players. The mini-balls were also given away in 1955, sans autographs. "Sulphur Dell" and the year was stamped on both.

These show up at local yard sales from time-to-time and also Ebay...

ullmandds 10-13-2014 10:52 AM

interesting skip...the ball i have...and the one in the link are mini replicas of the official major league balls...they look to be of the same quality.

Any info on these major league mini balls?

D. Broughman 10-13-2014 11:58 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Pete hear are two mini baseballs and a full sized one. As you can see on the Rawlings ball it says it is a practice ball don't know anything about the little one. Hope this helps. D.

Nashvol 10-13-2014 05:28 PM

H
Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1333411)
interesting skip...the ball i have...and the one in the link are mini replicas of the official major league balls...they look to be of the same quality.

Any info on these major league mini balls?

Pete, I should have prefaced my post with, "not sure this the same type ball". Sorry, obviously the balls were made for different uses. I believe the Sulphur Dell balls were produced by Dick Culler's Autographed Baseball Co. Culler had played for Nashville in the 40s...

Duluth Eskimo 10-13-2014 10:57 PM

I have an early major league one with stamping that is signed, but I don't know much about them. I picked it up many years ago. I saw a Ruth signed mini ball once before that I believe was very similar to the ball I have. I can post a photo if you like. Probably doesn't help answer much though. Jason

ullmandds 10-14-2014 07:00 AM

sure...I'd love to see pics!

ullmandds 10-14-2014 08:44 AM

while I could NOT take very good pics of mine...it is a william harridge official american league mini ball...made by reach...in the usa...and also has another stamp with "official ball american league...Joe Cronin."

Duluth Eskimo 10-14-2014 11:16 PM

Mini ball

It took me a while to find it, but I did. Unfortunately I cannot make out any stamping on the ball. I could swear it used to be visible, but who knows. Here are a couple of photos for size anyways. Jason

ullmandds 10-15-2014 05:15 AM

5 Attachment(s)
here is mine...which I was given as a kid in the 70's...it became my old timers day HOF ball.

not the best photo...the other won't load.

Duluth Eskimo 10-15-2014 02:06 PM

That's cool. You don't see them that often. I always though they might be some kind of salesman sample as well, but don't know. I've never seen one with a real nice stamp, they all seem to be very faded.

PS: you may not want to photo you banking document next time. Someone might pay let you pay for their next purchase.

ullmandds 10-15-2014 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo (Post 1334070)
That's cool. You don't see them that often. I always though they might be some kind of salesman sample as well, but don't know. I've never seen one with a real nice stamp, they all seem to be very faded.

PS: you may not want to photo you banking document next time. Someone might pay let you pay for their next purchase.

yeah...oops! I'll try to get some better pics.

sayhey24 10-15-2014 10:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
At least some of these definitely were salesmans samples -- this Worth mini ball is accompanied by the salesman's card.

And this Willie Keeler bat was a giveaway at a night honoring Keeler.

Greg