Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   1950 Bowman Baseball 1c packs (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=238144)

Ribbens 04-09-2017 09:16 PM

1950 Bowman Baseball 1c packs

1 Attachment(s)
Looking for input and advice on a lot of 15 ~ 1950 Bowman Baseball 1c packs. This lot of 19 packs was found in a wall in a brown paper bag on a demo of a bar outside of Chicago. 2 of them were opened by the founder, 2 were sold at Heritage Auctions - one in May 2016 for 2390.00 and the other in August 2016 for 3585.00 - both were verified by PSA. The remaining 15 packs are not considered unopened because the glue has come loose from the folds but they are considered unsearched. The question I have for the group is whether it is worth the 100.00/pack to get them in front of PSA for their review and verification or to sell them as a lot? I have seen the packs myself and I know they have not been opened, I have a photo example of one of the packs for your viewing. Thanks for your collective input on this lot.

GrayGhost 04-10-2017 06:57 AM

Im not sure there would be enough of a market for a pack that is not sealed more strongly. There may be some nice cards in, and of course, the wrappers would bring solid prices if decent. IMO, Id open em, but whether you can make a profit on whatever card is inside, condition, etc. and the wrapper, over the prices is the key. Good luck!

MK 04-10-2017 07:15 AM

My advice is don't chew the gum!

packs 04-10-2017 07:18 AM

I don't think there will be any value to them as "unsearched". If money is the game then I say search them and hope they're in good condition.

vintagesportscollector 04-10-2017 07:57 AM

Based on that picture I could never assume that pack is "unsearched".

Republicaninmass 04-10-2017 09:13 AM

Is there only one card in the pack? Unsearched really deosnt apply in that case, as you can probably make out the one card

JustinD 04-10-2017 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Republicaninmass (Post 1649507)
Is there only one card in the pack? Unsearched really deosnt apply in that case, as you can probably make out the one card

agreed.

The others were of value as a sealed pack because pack collectors rarely see them. I would open and sell the cards and wrappers.

slidekellyslide 04-10-2017 09:44 AM

I don't think I would open them, but I would sell them as is. Opening them just means there are less unopened 1950 Bowman 1 cent packs in the world that can never be undone. I would try to ascertain which cards are in each pack which shouldn't be too hard to do and then sell them letting the buyer(s) know which card is in the pack. I'm not too familiar with how the 1 card packs were packed, but I assume every card has a wax and or bubble gum stain so you're not going to get any PSA mint cards.

bigfanNY 04-10-2017 03:48 PM

IMHO definitely worth more as is than as opened cards and wrappers. They are what they are and I for one would love a pack and I know that more than 15 other collectors share my view. Even if they sell for 10-20% of what unopened packs did that's a big premium over what you would get for cards and wrappers.
Jonathan

Ribbens 04-10-2017 08:41 PM

Thanks for your input, will post an update on the plan from here in the near future.

autograf 04-11-2017 09:59 AM

1950 Bowman wrappers are tough to find. None on eBay now and none in closed auctions. Don't write off the wrapper collectors either. I would think clean wrapper would be $300 or more.

GrayGhost 04-11-2017 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by autograf (Post 1649887)
1950 Bowman wrappers are tough to find. None on eBay now and none in closed auctions. Don't write off the wrapper collectors either. I would think clean wrapper would be $300 or more.

that one in pic has some dirt, but yes, that is where the money may be. Id say the cards would have some gum issues, etc so that's a crapshoot

vthobby 04-11-2017 11:31 AM

Agree!

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigfanNY (Post 1649665)
IMHO definitely worth more as is than as opened cards and wrappers. They are what they are and I for one would love a pack and I know that more than 15 other collectors share my view. Even if they sell for 10-20% of what unopened packs did that's a big premium over what you would get for cards and wrappers.
Jonathan

I am also interested in a "loose" unopened pack. If you open them all, you will have 15 wrappers and 15 most likely damaged cards in some way shape or form.
I would not be interested at all in the wrapper and just a card but if you leave them "as is", you have something that most people in the hobby can only dream of!

Let me know! Thanks! Mike

pow323 04-11-2017 11:33 AM

50 Bowman

I would be interested in a pack also! Thanks, Marc

slidekellyslide 04-11-2017 12:55 PM

It's a seriously rare wrapper. Only one on worthpoint past sales history and it sold in 2007.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...x-pack-wrapper

btw it sold for $141.72 and that was 10 years ago. Tom B might be right, it could be a $300 wrapper today.

I still wouldn't unwrap them though.

Ribbens 04-16-2017 05:36 PM

The owner is looking for 500.00/pack. If you are interested at that price point let me know. I know it is steep but it is still quite a unique and valuable piece of history.

GrayGhost 04-16-2017 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ribbens (Post 1651447)
The owner is looking for 500.00/pack. If you are interested at that price point let me know. I know it is steep but it is still quite a unique and valuable piece of history.

break up prob wouldn't work at that price. wow..interesting to see how sales go

Steve_NY 03-05-2018 07:38 PM

Did these "packs" sell at $500? As others have indicated, the money here is just in the wrapper; the card is probably ruined from the looks of the wrapper. But I would be interested if the seller has figured out that $500 is just too high. I would buy them all if the price has gone down substantially. If they found any other really unopened packs, my interest grows. Best regards,

Steve -

Ribbens 03-06-2018 08:36 PM

The wrappers are not in that much demand based on recent sale, no where near 300.00 as thought here. 500.00 is the asking price. Still a rare find

Steve_NY 03-07-2018 07:40 PM

Thanks David, I appreciate your response, and I agree they are a rare find. If all of them were sealed like the auctioned ones, they would sell similarly. I consider them attractive and still desirable, but not as an unopened pack. Yes, there is a limited market for rare and tough to find wrappers, but that is the market that these appeal to. They would pay more to get the wrapper and one card, but $500 may not appeal to more than a few collectors. If the seller wants to move them all, contact me again. Otherwise, thanks again and best wishes.

Ribbens 03-07-2018 08:12 PM

I will contact him again about his interest in selling the balance of 14 packs as a lot at a better price. Thanks

packs 03-08-2018 07:16 AM

Why doesn't he search the packs? He can still sell the wrapper.

Steve_NY 03-08-2018 10:48 PM

That could be a plan -- but then they lose their appeal to someone like me. I would buy them as wrappers but at a way reduced price. I am interested either way but would want to see more than one example unless that is the best condition they are in. Also I am in the Northeast and my power keeps going out. We lost it for 16 hours today, and hope it stays on all night. Stay warm wherever you are.

packs 03-09-2018 08:02 AM

I'm thinking if the packs are only valuable as wrappers and sold for wrapper prices, then why not at least see what condition the cards are in?

Runscott 03-09-2018 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagesportscollector (Post 1649462)
Based on that picture I could never assume that pack is "unsearched".

Agreed. As a kid I could peak in a pack and leave less evidence than this one shows.

Steve_NY 03-11-2018 08:24 PM

I also suspect that if the sealed packs were in exceptional condition they would have sold for far greater prices. That is why the picture may show one of the better survivors of the remaining packs. We will see --- or maybe we won't. Best to all.

cfhofer 03-12-2018 11:45 AM

Agree with Packs. For those prices, open them up and sell the wrappers/cards. I doubt anyone would believe these cards are actually unsearched....at least enough to pay a decent premium.

If all commons, sell the wrappers and cards in a single lot. If a decent card pops up sell it with the actual wrapper (even if somewhat damaged). Can even record yourself opening them as proof.

Steve_NY 03-13-2018 01:57 PM

I tend to disagree - it actually makes more sense to sell them as is. How long will it take to sell them as wrappers and cards. Just ask anyone who had a choice between selling their collectible as one lot versus individually. I could see if they were graded, then an auction scenario could be the best option. But I buy from most auction houses, and often I find that I get terrific deals, and I buy to resell. Either way, our seller wants $500 a pack which is too much for me anyway. If they all look the same, I might be interested at $300 a pack; maybe not; I would have to see more pix. Best regards to all, Steve

Streetsideguy 03-16-2018 05:24 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Pack from this find in my personal collection. Jason

bigfanNY 03-16-2018 05:40 PM

So there were unopened sealed packs in this find as well? I made what I thought was a very fair offer for 2 packs almost a year ago. But maybe he dose not understand the large drop from sealed to almost sealed in price.

Aquarian Sports Cards 03-16-2018 05:51 PM

Awesome item Jason but how the hell does that rate a 6???

Streetsideguy 03-16-2018 09:04 PM

I don’t grade them. Just collect them. Jason.

Steve_NY 03-16-2018 10:14 PM

See -- this is what disturbs me about grading. If I were grading that 1950 pack, I would give it no better than a 3, if that much. Maybe because it is very rare, PSA graders made a decision to grade it higher because there are no available packs to make comparisons to. In any graded condition, it is rare. Unfortunately, the other so-called 'unopened packs" can not be graded as it is clear they could feasibly have been opened; there is no way to confirm that they were never opened. I would still buy them all at a reduced price. I promise no further mention of that again. I have moved on to other really unopened packs.

Ribbens 03-19-2018 07:45 PM

1950 Bowman Baseball 1c packs

2 Attachment(s)
Two of the PSA packs in this 17 pack lot in this find were sold @ HA for 2390.00 and then 3595.00 for the record.....14 packs left.

Steve_NY 03-20-2018 11:33 AM

The second pack looks better and sold for less. But both graded Authentic; still a decent price for very rare packs. If graded an 8 or 9, the amount could have been alot more. Just remember they are 1 cent packs NOT 5 cent packs. But the 14 remaining packs at $500 probably are worth it if you really have to have a 1 cent 1950 pack, but most unopened pack collectors will not buy them because they could have been opened. Also wrapper collectors will not buy them because they don't want to spend that much on a wrapper. Your seller is really stuck with a tough decision: 1 - open them and sell the wrappers and cards individually or as a group, or 2 - try to find someone who will pay $500 a pack, or 3 - Lower the price to sell them all to one person. Tough decisions take time. I would be real cautious and advise against #1; if just for the sake of having them, I would advise sticking with #2 or #3. Whether you can find collectors to buy them at $500 a piece or not, it would be a pity to remove them from future collectors in their current condition.

Steve_NY 05-18-2018 10:50 PM

David, Just thought about these 1950 packs. I can be reached at dynamictwo@aol.com or booth 600 at this year's National Sports Collectors Convention in Cleveland. Best regards, Steve