Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Basketball / Cricket / Tennis Cards Forum (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   1966 Topps Bobby Orr (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=271269)

Bkrum 07-14-2019 10:46 AM

1966 Topps Bobby Orr

I purchased several 1960s hockey sets nearly 30 years ago and they have sat untouched since then. I’ve been sending some key cards to PSA recently and the Orr Rookie (and also a 1962 Topps Bobby Hull) came back “Altered”. There is no logical reason for the card to have been altered as I bought it before TPG even existed. I recall reading that some hockey cards in the 60s that came in vending boxes often did not come in consistent sizes. Has anyone else experienced any issues with this or have any insight for me?

Peter_Spaeth 07-14-2019 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bkrum (Post 1898833)
I purchased several 1960s hockey sets nearly 30 years ago and they have sat untouched since then. I’ve been sending some key cards to PSA recently and the Orr Rookie (and also a 1962 Topps Bobby Hull) came back “Altered”. There is no logical reason for the card to have been altered as I bought it before TPG even existed. I recall reading that some hockey cards in the 60s that came in vending boxes often did not come in consistent sizes. Has anyone else experienced any issues with this or have any insight for me?

How short are the cards?

Generally speaking, I think this is probably a bad time to get expensive material graded, they are probably kicking a lot of stuff.

irv 07-14-2019 01:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Did they elaborate on what was actually "Altered"? Personally, when thinking back that far, I would assume trimmed over altered but maybe that is what they mean without actually saying it?

Seems odd your 2 highest valued cards got that designation? I have also heard about different sizes right from the factory but you need more experienced folks to tell you more about that.

I decided to "trim" these back in the day as I assume I was unhappy with how the corners got dinged? :o

Anish 07-14-2019 01:55 PM

Yup, I recently saw a complete 66 set from vending come back with an “Altered” Orr.

Bkrum 07-14-2019 02:18 PM

Can never seem to get pics to load but no obvious reasons it would be trimmed. The flip says “altered”. Not in the market to sell so I guess I put it away for a couple years before figuring out what to do. Several cards came back Ok including 57 Howe, 67 Orr, 58 Howe (although they graded them pretty conservatively). I suppose I should send another 66 Topps hockey card in and see what happens. Were hockey cards distributed in both packs and wax through the 60s? Is there any difference in dimensions between the two?

irv 07-14-2019 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bkrum (Post 1898908)
Can never seem to get pics to load but no obvious reasons it would be trimmed. The flip says “altered”. Not in the market to sell so I guess I put it away for a couple years before figuring out what to do. Several cards came back Ok including 57 Howe, 67 Orr, 58 Howe (although they graded them pretty conservatively). I suppose I should send another 66 Topps hockey card in and see what happens. Were hockey cards distributed in both packs and wax through the 60s? Is there any difference in dimensions between the two?

If you want some pics posted send them to me and I'll post them for you.
PM if interested?

Personally, I'd like to see them. :)

samosa4u 07-15-2019 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irv (Post 1898886)
Did they elaborate on what was actually "Altered"? Personally, when thinking back that far, I would assume trimmed over altered but maybe that is what they mean without actually saying it?

If PSA thought his Orr rookie was trimmed, then you would see EVID TRIM on the label. And if the card was under-sized, then you would see MINSIZERQ.

You should just send it back to them for encapsulation. However, I would wait for a while because the Gary Moser scandal has freaked the graders out and they are probably rejecting more cards now.

irv 07-15-2019 01:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by samosa4u (Post 1899147)
If PSA thought his Orr rookie was trimmed, then you would see EVID TRIM on the label. And if the card was under-sized, then you would see MINSIZERQ.

You should just send it back to them for encapsulation. However, I would wait for a while because the Gary Moser scandal has freaked the graders out and they are probably rejecting more cards now.

I thought the same but I also assumed, if they gave the "Altered" designation, they would elaborate on it?

Here is his card.

Looks very nice to me!

samosa4u 07-15-2019 04:04 PM

Why did he get PSA to encapsulate it? On top of that he covers the serial number - LOL!

lowpopper 07-15-2019 11:35 PM

Quote:

If you are going to the national in Chicago, I will look at
them for you. PM me

toppcat 07-19-2019 12:46 PM

Why is there so much space in the holder?

samosa4u 07-20-2019 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toppcat (Post 1900453)
Why is there so much space in the holder?

It looks like PSA just put it in an over-sized holder.

irv 07-23-2019 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samosa4u (Post 1899199)
Why did he get PSA to encapsulate it? On top of that he covers the serial number - LOL!

He sent the pic to me with the cert partially covered (ghosting) so I covered in further as I assumed that is what he wanted?

I don't understand your LOL? I see many cover/obscure the cert number of their cards when posting pics of them so I assume it is for a good reason?

samosa4u 07-23-2019 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irv (Post 1901586)
He sent the pic to me with the cert partially covered (ghosting) so I covered in further as I assumed that is what he wanted?

I don't understand your LOL? I see many cover/obscure the cert number of their cards when posting pics of them so I assume it is for a good reason?

People cover cert numbers because they don't want fraudsters stealing them. Why would somebody want to steal a cert number of an altered card? That's why I put LOL in my comment.

irv 07-24-2019 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samosa4u (Post 1901639)
People cover cert numbers because they don't want fraudsters stealing them. Why would somebody want to steal a cert number of an altered card? That's why I put LOL in my comment.

Wasn't aware of that. Figured people covered them for personal information reasons only.

Thanks for the clarification.

chalupacollects 07-27-2019 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samosa4u (Post 1901639)

Fraudsters can steal the picture with a cert number which would come up as legit on PSA.com and post it on ebay, etsy, FB, Letgo etc and sell something they don't have....