Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   New way to get rid of old auction catalogs (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=148579)

drc 03-08-2012 11:15 AM

New way to get rid of old auction catalogs

I volunteer once a week at a local playhouse. My boss is an older guy who doesn't collect but likes baseball and sits in the box office booth all day. Each week I bring one of my old auction catalogs for him to browse through in his office. A form of recycling, plus my form of throwing them away.

He doesn't know the memorabilia or cards, but, for example, knows what was Merkle's Boner.

novakjr 03-08-2012 11:20 AM

Maybe offering up old auction catalogs and other assorted hobby publications, to doctor/dentist offices and such for their waiting rooms could be a good way to promote the hobby.

drc 03-08-2012 11:27 AM

A remember a number of years ago a similar non-collecting sports fan friend was browsing through my old Halper Auction catalog and vocally marveling at the incredibly high prices. I said "Uh, those are the minimum bids."

iggyman 03-08-2012 11:41 AM

David,

That is a great idea and before you know it, docs and dents will be making deals for T206 cards!!! Imagine walking into a doctors office and offering them a stack of T206's including a Chief Bender for a colonoscopy. "Come on doc, it's a fair trade, that Bender is a Sovereign back."

Lovely Day...

Quote:

Originally Posted by novakjr (Post 973737)
Maybe offering up old auction catalogs and other assorted hobby publications, to doctor/dentist offices and such for their waiting rooms could be a good way to promote the hobby.

frankbmd 03-08-2012 11:54 AM

A real Bender

Quote:

Originally Posted by iggyman (Post 973744)
David,

That is a great idea and before you know it, docs and dents will be making deals for T206 cards!!! Imagine walking into a doctors office and offering them a stack of T206's including a Chief Bender for a colonoscopy. "Come on doc, it's a fair trade, that Bender is a Sovereign back."

Lovely Day...

Iggy, I used to perform colonoscopies. If you've never had one, you'll find out what a real "bender" is, when you have one. And your back is not sovereign as well

No one ever offered cards for services rendered, but I would have been open to the idea.

Please do not send me catalogs for my office. I'm no longer practicing.

docpatlv 03-08-2012 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 973746)
Iggy, I used to perform colonoscopies. If you've never had one, you'll find out what a real "bender" is, when you have one. And your back is not sovereign as well

No one ever offered cards for services rendered, but I would have been open to the idea.

Please do not send me catalogs for my office. I'm no longer practicing.

I am still in practice and would gladly trade cards for services rendered...although my wife might have something to say about that:mad:

I might have to let my female patients bring in shoes and purses for trade to keep the other half happy.