Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Sort of O/T: To Be or Not to Be (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=148270)

iggyman 02-29-2012 09:21 AM

Sort of O/T: To Be or Not to Be

2 Attachment(s)
I purchased these two small 1951 Bowman uncut error sheets (blank backs) with the idea of cutting them into individual cards, keeping a couple of the cut cards, and selling the rest of the cards on eBay. Yet, now that I have them in hand, I'm starting to have second thoughts. I'm still leaning towards cutting them, but I want to throw this question out for the masses. Should I cut away or not (all applications must be submitted by this weekend)???

Attachment 57999
Attachment 58000

By the way, I'm assuming these two small sheets came from the batch that both Huggins and Scott and REA had in prior auctions (Thus, there alot of these error cards in the marketplace) :

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/.../2009/619.html

http://apr08.hugginsandscott.com/cgi...pl?itemid=7410

Lovely Day...

barrysloate 02-29-2012 09:34 AM

Iggy- you have to know cutting them up is a terrible idea. Please leave it as is, it's a beautiful sheet.

atx840 02-29-2012 09:36 AM

UNCUT

Error looks more interesting this way. I'd frame one. :)

Leon 02-29-2012 09:48 AM

blasphemy

Great looking sheet. In my (collector) opinion it would be blasphemy to cut it up.

bn2cardz 02-29-2012 09:50 AM

I vote for:
"Yes! You own the sheet, do whatever you want with it."

Only because it is yours and you have the right to do with it as you please.

The only issue I do have is the motive of selling in the future. It has to be clear that they are hand cut from a sheet. Even if you disclose this, there is no guarantee the person buying from you won't flip it without disclosing this information. Eventually someone may try and get a TPG involved and they will say it is trimmed.

I am a strong believer of if it is yours you can do with it as you please within moral/legal limits, in this case not doing it with fraudulent intent.

EDIT to add: I wouldn't do it. I would frame them.

HOF Auto Rookies 02-29-2012 10:16 AM

It would look gorgeous framed. Please don't cut them up, or sell them to a board member. They look amazing. But, it is yours, you can do whatever you want.

3-2-count 02-29-2012 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 971420)
Great looking sheet. In my (collector) opinion it would be blasphemy to cut it up.

DITTO!! Don't do it man!!!!!!!!!!!!!

frankbmd 02-29-2012 10:36 AM

No cut....

or you'll forever be associated with the sawdust from Shoeless Joe's bat.

WWGjohn 02-29-2012 10:36 AM

Really nice sheet

I'd suggest sending it to me and that way you don't have to decide :-)
Seriously, don't cut it up, it's such a nice piece and would display beautifully.

John

HRBAKER 02-29-2012 10:51 AM

Save one, cut one.
Keep a few cards, sell a few cards.

t206hound 02-29-2012 11:08 AM

Looking at the auction listings...

I voted to keep 'em in sheets, but looking at the auction listings, your two "sheets" appear to have been cut down already.

Looks like the original had groupings that were 2 rows x 9 columns (call them A and B). Each grouping was paired with another grouping horizontally (2 rows x 19 columns) in which the left and right groups alternated:
AB
BA
AB
BA

I would still keep them together, but I wouldn't blame you for cutting off the far left column or one of the rows on one of your sheets.

iggyman 02-29-2012 12:40 PM

The masses have spoken and by a landslide. I had no idea that Net54ers could actually agree on something. Thanks for all those that responded. It was appreciated. I will nix the cutting of the sheet.

Oh well, I guess my daughter won't be getting that trampoline for her birthday..........................and how in the world am I going to convince my wife that the Net54 consensus was to frame both Bowman card sheets, remove a few pictures of the kids from the wall, and place the Bowman cards in its place......................."but honey, don't you get it; these are not just ordinary baseball cards, they are printer scrap baseball cards."

Lovely day...

bn2cardz 02-29-2012 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iggyman (Post 971487)
The masses have spoken and by a landslide. I had no idea that Net54ers could actually agree on something. Thanks for all those that responded. It was appreciated. I will nix the cutting of the sheet.

Oh well, I guess my daughter won't be getting that trampoline for her birthday..........................and how in the world am I going to convince my wife that the Net54 consensus was to frame both Bowman card sheets, remove a few pictures of the kids from the wall, and place the Bowman cards in its place......................."but honey, don't you get it; these are not just ordinary baseball cards, they are printer scrap baseball cards."

Lovely day...

I am glad my wife agrees that I should display my stuff. She has even said it would be nice if we could get a bigger place so that I could have a full room for my baseball stuff, a room for our batman stuff (we are both huge batman nerds), and a room for my movie posters (or as she calls it a theater for my posters). She feels the children would just have to decide what room they want to sleep in.

Instead of moving pictures off the wall, tell her that you are willing to put them on the ceiling so that you can look at them while you are laying down.

rjackson44 02-29-2012 12:56 PM

do not cut those lovely cards pleeease,,,

calvindog 02-29-2012 05:19 PM

Iggy, if it meant not getting your daughter the trampoline -- I'd cut the sheet.

FrankWakefield 02-29-2012 05:28 PM

The only reason I can think of to suggest that yes, you should cut them up as mentioned, would be if you were going to give me one of the cards. I'll send you a stamped envelope, just let me know. Otherwise, keep 'em in tact. If it's a money thing, sell one and keep the other in tact.

iggyman 02-29-2012 05:28 PM

Thanks for the sentiment, it is appreciated. She will get here trampoline, whether I cut, sell, or not. All these years I always thought you were one of the tough guys. Sort-of like the John Wayne of prewar cards.................I guess I will have to reassess my interpretation ;).

Quote:

Originally Posted by calvindog (Post 971587)
Iggy, if it meant not getting your daughter the trampoline -- I'd cut the sheet.

steve B 02-29-2012 06:44 PM

I'd had my eye on those but missed the ending. Glad someone here got them.

I wouldn't cut them. But I can't usually even cut old magazines for the ads, even the trashed ones usually get a reprieve.

Steve B