Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   PSA Grade Opinion (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=198138)

Cozumeleno 12-09-2014 04:49 PM

PSA Grade Opinion

2 Attachment(s)
I picked up this card from eBay recently for my 1933 Goudey set. While I'm not disappointed (a graded card is a graded card), I'm a little surprised that it received a grade of a PSA 3.

The back (which the seller did not scan, FWIW) has a little more damage than what I would expect a 3 to receive. That's particularly true given that there is a crease that runs the entire way through the card horizontally that can only be seen on the back (through BIG LEAGUE). The seller offers returns so I don't particularly feel they were being dishonest without showing the back. And I'm probably keeping the card, anyway. The grade just seems high to me.

I'm aware that cards can be removed and replaced in graded holders (so I've heard, anyway), but the case has no sign of tampering at all.

I've attached scans of the front/back. This looks more like a 2, or even a 1.5 by a stingy grader to me), but just wondering what anyone else thinks. I have a few PSA 3s of other cards in the set that look considerably better than this.

Donscards 12-09-2014 04:52 PM

I would give it a 2.5 the card does have a crease on the back, but that still falls in the grade of a 3, which is very good condition.

Cozumeleno 12-09-2014 05:25 PM

Yeah

That sounds more accurate - I'd probably lean to a 2, but 2.5 wouldn't have surprised me.

I don't know - I guess I'm comparing it to the other 3s I have and it seems lacking. But granted, I don't have a ton of graded cards, either, so there are probably other 3s out there that are comparable.

iwantitiwinit 12-09-2014 05:32 PM

Two at best the right edge is a mess as is the back. Id be po'd too but a graded card is a graded card. You could always sell it as a 3 if you had too.

conor912 12-09-2014 06:48 PM

A good rule of thumb for cards in general is that if you see staining like that on the edges, it almost always continues onto the back of the card, most times worse. I always ask to see the back of a card, without question. If the seller knew their market, they would have posted one from the start. 90% of the time i ask to see the back and they happily send scans with no issue. The rest of the time they give me grief and I move right along, figuring they are a) hiding something or b) an a$$hole.

I agree that card is a 2 all day long, but I concluded that before I even saw the back.

kamikidEFFL 12-09-2014 07:41 PM

I buy really only graded cards. I see it as a two as well. Anyway that's what happens when a third party gets involved. It's subject to what another thinks. I don't blame the seller for selling it as a 3 because that's what is encapsulated in. I do not agree with no picture of the back though. In the future always ask for more photos and make the judgment if u think its a true 3,4,5 or what ever grade.

Cozumeleno 12-09-2014 08:39 PM

Glad to see I'm not the only one who agrees it's too high

2 Attachment(s)
Oh yeah, definitely - I've bought hundreds of Goudeys and definitely always make it a habit to ask for a back photo unless it's described as poor or graded.

I don't really fault the seller. They had a PSA 3, which they advertised as such, and that I agreed to purchase. Plus, they take returns so I don't know that they were really trying to be overly deceptive. I also got it at a reasonable price at $135.00, when other lower grades have gone for more on eBay, so I'll probably just keep it.

I'm just surprised it warranted such a high grade. If I saw it at a 1.5, even, I probably wouldn't flinch.

I continue to remain flabbergasted at grading inconsistencies, even within the same company, though. For example, here is my Lefty Gomez that is graded a 3 by PSA. Just crushes this card all day long and there's no logical reason they should have the same grade - overlooking the miscut since that is a qualifier, it has a spotless front/back and a very light/small crease in upper left corner as opposed to the full length one in the Berg. Makes zero sense.

glchen 12-09-2014 09:45 PM

I'd return the Berg. It's overgraded, and you're not going to be happy with it long term.

Brian Van Horn 12-09-2014 11:16 PM

pclpads 12-10-2014 01:19 AM

Very generous 3. Maybe the grader had a few martoonis for lunch B4 heading back to the lab for the afternoon grading of this one.