Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Victor Wembanyama (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=341882)

BobbyStrawberry 10-25-2023 08:53 AM

Victor Wembanyama

Anyone else excited for his debut tonight? Certainly the most hyped rookie since LBJ and he seems to be the real deal.

Peter_Spaeth 10-25-2023 09:32 AM

From highlights, he's ridiculously mobile for someone his size. Hopefully he won't get Ralph Sampson disease and think he's a point guard.

D. Bergin 10-25-2023 09:34 AM

He'll be a legit superstar if he can stay healthy. Unfortunately, all the physical tools that make him unlike any other player in existence, also make him vulnerable to long term injuries.

NBA season is very long, especially if your team makes the playoffs. He'll always be a microfracture away from missing significant time.

Maybe present day rules will benefit him. He might be a shot-blocker, but he'll never be an big inside banger and I think he'll be boxed out of a lot of rebounds.

Best case is an even taller, rangier Kevin Durant, with the shot blocking (but not rebounding skills) of Hakeem or Mutombo.

Worst case, we see lots of great highlights when he plays, but he becomes a part-time phenom, like a Yao Ming or Joel Embiid.

packs 10-25-2023 09:40 AM

I don't think he's really an injury risk like the prototypical big men are. He's very tall but he's more Kevin Durant than Greg Oden. I don't think his body is carrying an oversized frame. Freak injuries are freak injuries but I don't think he has a bad body like a lot of big men do.

D. Bergin 10-25-2023 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 2383384)
I don't think he's really an injury risk like the prototypical big men are. He's very tall but he's more Kevin Durant than Greg Oden. I don't think his body is carrying an oversized frame. Freak injuries are freak injuries but I don't think he has a bad body like a lot of big men do.

That's what I'm hoping. I'd still like to see him fill out a bit, but in the modern NBA, it may actually help him that he's not carrying much extra weight on his joints and tendons.

They will have to pair him up with another big man to do the dirty work inside, as I don't think he's going to be hoovering up a lot of rebounds.

Looking at the Spurs roster right now, it doesn't look too promising. Hopefully they don't ask him to do too much right away. I do think he ended up in the best organization with the best coach to help nurture him along the way.

BobbyStrawberry 10-25-2023 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D. Bergin (Post 2383389)
That's what I'm hoping. I'd still like to see him fill out a bit, but in the modern NBA, it may actually help him that he's not carrying much extra weight on his joints and tendons.

They will have to pair him up with another big man to do the dirty work inside, as I don't think he's going to be hoovering up a lot of rebounds.

Looking at the Spurs roster right now, it doesn't look too promising. Hopefully they don't ask him to do too much right away. I do think he ended up in the best organization with the best coach to help nurture him along the way.

They signed Zach Collins, who will probably start at C with Wemby at the 4.

D. Bergin 10-25-2023 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry (Post 2383391)
They signed Zach Collins, who will probably start at C with Wemby at the 4.

Sorry, but unless Collins makes a giant leap forward this year, that doesn't give me a lot of confidence. ;)

BobbyStrawberry 10-25-2023 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D. Bergin (Post 2383393)
Sorry, but unless Collins makes a giant leap forward this year, that doesn't give me a lot of confidence. ;)

He's not a star player by any means, but he did improve last year with career highs in pretty much every category. The guy to watch besides Wemby IMO is Devin Vassell. Could be a star in the making also

Seven 10-25-2023 11:04 AM

I've seen a lot of highlights of the kid, I definitely think he will be good for the league.

On the whole, nowadays, I find it very difficult to enjoy the NFL and the NBA, however, from a style of play standpoint. Both leagues have "sold out" for offense. No hard defense can be played in either situation, as they have fine tuned the rules in both leagues for an offensive explosion.

Everything, the slightest touch nowadays, is a foul. Similarly in the NFL, penalties are called for hits now, that 20 years ago would not have been an issue. The rules have been entirely skewed to the offensive side of the football.

My ranting aside, and back to the original point, I think he will be the next big player, we haven't had a prospect hyped like this, for basketball, in a long time, and I'm interested to see where he goes.

mrreality68 10-25-2023 11:13 AM

I am looking forward to watching them and the season in general.

He looks like a beast among men.

He has all the potential in the world and could be a super star. But he needs the right cast of players around him for his team to be a factor and to enhance him and the biggest thing is his health. If he can stay healthy he will be enjoyable to watch for years. If not he could be a what if.

Zion is on the border. Been hurt to much but when he is healthy he is a beast and can dominate a game

Peter_Spaeth 10-25-2023 11:34 AM

Why do I keep thinking Ralph Sampson?

D. Bergin 10-25-2023 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2383411)
Why do I keep thinking Ralph Sampson?

Similar builds. Sampson was damn good before his knees started to give out on him.

Peter_Spaeth 10-25-2023 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D. Bergin (Post 2383417)
Similar builds. Sampson was damn good before his knees started to give out on him.

He really was I remember him at UVa.

wpeters 10-25-2023 03:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This picture should tell us something about his defensive prowess. When he reaches his prime he'll be able to guard anyone on the court.

Carter08 10-25-2023 04:57 PM

Go Jazz!

bk400 10-26-2023 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seven (Post 2383407)
I've seen a lot of highlights of the kid, I definitely think he will be good for the league.

On the whole, nowadays, I find it very difficult to enjoy the NFL and the NBA, however, from a style of play standpoint. Both leagues have "sold out" for offense. No hard defense can be played in either situation, as they have fine tuned the rules in both leagues for an offensive explosion.

Everything, the slightest touch nowadays, is a foul. Similarly in the NFL, penalties are called for hits now, that 20 years ago would not have been an issue. The rules have been entirely skewed to the offensive side of the football.

My ranting aside, and back to the original point, I think he will be the next big player, we haven't had a prospect hyped like this, for basketball, in a long time, and I'm interested to see where he goes.

Completely agree on all fronts. If he played 30 years ago, guys like Charles Oakley and Anthony Mason would put him in the hospital.

This said, he looks like he will be fun to watch in today's NBA.

Prof 10-29-2023 11:17 PM

Wemby is going to be amazing. Assuming he doesn't get hurt, I think he'll be an all-timer.

He took a big leap from summer league to the regular season, and another leap from just game 1 to game 2.

Dude's legit.

And he's incredibly wise and mature for 19. Go listen to his ~1 hr interview on JJ Redick's podcast from earlier in the summer. Absolutely no ego, won't get caught up in stupid stuff, eager to be coached by Pop, etc.

Yeah, he's have gotten crushed in the 80s/90s/early 00s. But, it's 2023. He's going to play the 4 for a few years, and he'll feast.

mrreality68 10-30-2023 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prof (Post 2384514)
Wemby is going to be amazing. Assuming he doesn't get hurt, I think he'll be an all-timer.

He took a big leap from summer league to the regular season, and another leap from just game 1 to game 2.

Dude's legit.

And he's incredibly wise and mature for 19. Go listen to his ~1 hr interview on JJ Redick's podcast from earlier in the summer. Absolutely no ego, won't get caught up in stupid stuff, eager to be coached by Pop, etc.

Yeah, he's have gotten crushed in the 80s/90s/early 00s. But, it's 2023. He's going to play the 4 for a few years, and he'll feast.

I agree he has the potential but to say he will be an All Timer with the small sample size might be a little premature.
He needs to stay healthy and he needs to perform and he needs to perform for approx 15 years.

But I am excited to watch him perform

BobbyStrawberry 11-03-2023 08:47 AM

38 and 10 last night. This guy is special!

mrreality68 11-04-2023 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry (Post 2385661)
38 and 10 last night. This guy is special!

Agreed he is special and I hope he stays healthy and keeps it up for the next decade plus.
Always love seeing the greats perform and compete against other greats in the league.
But with his size the worry is always the health.
But I enjoy watching him so far

Peter_Spaeth 11-04-2023 11:48 AM

He looks like a strong breeze would knock him over lol.

BobbyStrawberry 11-04-2023 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2385996)
He looks like a strong breeze would knock him over lol.

They'll get him in the weight room. Soon he'll be looking like Joel Embiid!

mrreality68 11-09-2023 07:14 AM

last night against Knicks
4 for 14 (with 0 for 4 from) 3) for 14 Points and 9 rebounds and 1 block
3 night ago agains Indiana
3 for 12(2 for 5 from 3) for 13 Points and 10 Rebounds and 2 Blocks

Rough little stretch and it shows their is a learning curve and adjustments to play in the NBA.
He needs to bulk up a bit and continue to learn and adapt and he will be good. How long to potential greatness unknown but so much upside and has the right coach and system to learn in to maximize his potential.
Also on one of the youngest teams in the league so will be fun to watch them all grow together

packs 11-09-2023 07:20 AM

People keep saying he needs to bulk up while also saying he needs to avoid injury. When I think of the big men who lost their careers to injury, they were bulky.

D. Bergin 11-09-2023 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 2387306)
People keep saying he needs to bulk up while also saying he needs to avoid injury. When I think of the big men who lost their careers to injury, they were bulky.

Maybe "strengthen up" is a better term. He needs to be more Hakeem Olajuwan, or Dikembe Mutombo, and less Ralph Sampson/Shawn Bradley/Manute Bol.

It's fair to be concerned about his future health and strength level, since those are really the only things to be tremendously concerned about with him. For his age, he is waaaay ahead of the curve skill-wise, for a multi-dimensional big man in the NBA.

Chet Holmgren is another similar build with a somewhat similar skill-set, who already missed his entire Rookie season with a Lisfranc injury.

Fortunately he's come back from that and is putting up some impressive stats so far this year. Maybe not as dynamic or with as high of a ceiling as Wemby, but I'd like to see him continue to stay healthy for the duration also.

bk400 11-09-2023 09:01 AM

I'm most interested in seeing whether Wemby brings back the Kevin Garnetts to the NBA. Which would be great.

Peter_Spaeth 11-23-2023 02:50 PM

LOL
https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2023...00-at-auction/

BobbyStrawberry 11-23-2023 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2391143)

Yikes. He did put up a nice line last night - 22pts 15reb 3ast 3blk 1stl

Peter_Spaeth 11-23-2023 04:56 PM

So how does someone come into possession of his jersey anyhow?

frankbmd 11-23-2023 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2391169)
So how does someone come into possession of his jersey anyhow?

Look for a long one.;)

a long 1 like this

carlsonjok 11-24-2023 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D. Bergin (Post 2387330)
Chet Holmgren is another similar build with a somewhat similar skill-set, who already missed his entire Rookie season with a Lisfranc injury.

Fortunately he's come back from that and is putting up some impressive stats so far this year. Maybe not as dynamic or with as high of a ceiling as Wemby, but I'd like to see him continue to stay healthy for the duration also.

I haven't seen Wembanyama play yet, but my wife and I have a 10 game ticket package for the Thunder and I have seen Holmgren both in person and on TV. Don't sleep on him. Small sample size, but so far this season he has a significantly higher shooting percentages than Wembanyana, including shooting over 43% from 3.

He'll also need to add some bulk. We saw the Thunder play the Pelicans and Holmgren got absolutely manhandled by Jonas Valančiūnas.

BobbyStrawberry 11-24-2023 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlsonjok (Post 2391301)
I haven't seen Wembanyama play yet, but my wife and I have a 10 game ticket package for the Thunder and I have seen Holmgren both in person and on TV. Don't sleep on him. Small sample size, but so far this season he has a significantly higher shooting percentages than Wembanyana, including shooting over 43% from 3.

He'll also need to add some bulk. We saw the Thunder play the Pelicans and Holmgren got absolutely manhandled by Jonas Valančiūnas.

Yeah, Holmgren is definitely looking great. I'm jealous - OKC is a super fun team to watch right now. (More than the Spurs!) SGA is playing like an MVP candidate.

D. Bergin 11-24-2023 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlsonjok (Post 2391301)

Yeah, I'd give Holmgren the edge in ROY right now. He's been getting good reviews defensively also, from what I have seen.

Wemby really needs to up his shooting% to be truly effective as a big man. He's only 19, so he's got plenty of time to develop. Nobody expects him to shoot like Kevin Durant right away........except maybe the guy who payed close to a Mill for his jersey. ;)

BobbyStrawberry 11-25-2023 10:07 AM

Another solid outing from Wemby last night, but man the Spurs are bad. I'm guessing they are going to tank again this year.

Shoeless Moe 11-25-2023 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry (Post 2391549)
Another solid outing from Wemby last night, but man the Spurs are bad. I'm guessing they are going to tank again this year.

I'm hoping the Blackhawks do the same this year......over der in da NHL eh?