Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   I'm Done with Net54 (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=273539)

barrysloate 09-13-2019 02:41 PM

I'm Done with Net54

I know, we've had these melodramatic posts before, but I'm doing this for a reason: I'm tired of politics on Net54.

We've had a few instances lately of posters adding politics to their posts, and I spoke with Leon about putting a stop to it. It has no place on a baseball card chatboard.

I happened to click on the thread today about Sep 11 in the Watercooler Section; it's a day I remember all too well as I live only a mile from the WTC. And sure enough, two of our regular dumbasses turned the post hostile by showing us how stupid they actually are. And that's it for me, I'm done with this bullshit.

Pleae don't post here asking me back. It won't happen. And it's unlikely I will read Net54 anymore. There are idiots everywhere, I don't need to come here to find them.

However, if anybody has questions about baseball memorabilia, and need my expertise, feel free to email me at bsloate@verizon.net, I'm always happy to help. and happy collecting to all.

ullmandds 09-13-2019 03:07 PM

Sorry to see you go, barry...you’re as good a guy as anyone ive met in this hobby!

bobbyw8469 09-13-2019 03:19 PM

I read the post over in the water cooler section, and I really don't see whatever you saw to make you want to leave forever. I remember that day like it was yesterday. A lot of Americans lost their lives on that fateful day. I hear some conspiracy theorists say that it was our own government that caused 9/11. That angers me to no end. People LOST THEIR LIVES. I too, am angered by the phrase "Some People Did Something". It lessens and cheapens the value of the thousands of lives that were lost that day. I am sorry to see you go, but don't let your anger about politics affect you.

davidb 09-13-2019 03:23 PM

Done

Barry, I understand your frustration but don't leave... you are a true voice of reason and objectivity for the industry. Don't let the political boneheads win!

vintagetoppsguy 09-13-2019 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrysloate (Post 1916547)
I know, we've had these melodramatic posts before, but I'm doing this for a reason: I'm tired of politics on Net54.

We've had a few instances lately of posters adding politics to their posts, and I spoke with Leon about putting a stop to it. It has no place on a baseball card chatboard.

I happened to click on the thread today about Sep 11 in the Watercooler Section; it's a day I remember all too well as I live only a mile from the WTC. And sure enough, two of our regular dumbasses turned the post hostile by showing us how stupid they actually are. And that's it for me, I'm done with this bullshit.

Pleae don't post here asking me back. It won't happen. And it's unlikely I will read Net54 anymore. There are idiots everywhere, I don't need to come here to find them.

However, if anybody has questions about baseball memorabilia, and need my expertise, feel free to email me at bsloate@verizon.net, I'm always happy to help. and happy collecting to all.

Goodbye and good riddance!

Just because a political figure made the comment does not make it a political comment. It was a stupid and insensitive comment to make no matter who said it. If it were some actor, sports star, celebrity or other notable figure that had made the comment that I quoted we wouldn't even be having this discussion and it wouldn't be considered political. But Because Ilhan Omar made the comment, you want to call it political. You're the dumbass!

Edited to add: We use phrases like "Never Forget" but if we don't condemn comments like hers (again regardless of who said it), then we have forgotten.

earlywynnfan 09-13-2019 03:34 PM

Any chance you can take David with you?

samosa4u 09-13-2019 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 1916553)
I read the post over in the water cooler section, and I really don't see whatever you saw to make you want to leave forever. I remember that day like it was yesterday. A lot of Americans lost their lives on that fateful day. I hear some conspiracy theorists say that it was our own government that caused 9/11. That angers me to no end. People LOST THEIR LIVES. I too, am angered by the phrase "Some People Did Something". It lessens and cheapens the value of the thousands of lives that were lost that day. I am sorry to see you go, but don't let your anger about politics affect you.

+1

Rich Klein 09-13-2019 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1916551)
Sorry to see you go, barry...you’re as good a guy as anyone ive met in this hobby!

This may be the 1st time, but I'm in total agreement with another person who grew up in the NY area: ullmandds

Regards
Rich

Leon 09-13-2019 03:47 PM

I guess the infraction you just got didn't matter. Good bye.
Political statements can be made elsewhere, not here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy (Post 1916557)
Goodbye and good riddance!

Just because a political figure made the comment does not make it a political comment. It was a stupid and insensitive comment to make no matter who said it. If it were some actor, sports star, celebrity or other notable figure that had made the comment that I quoted we wouldn't even be having this discussion and it wouldn't be considered political. But Because Ilhan Omar made the comment, you want to call it political. You're the dumbass!

Edited to add: We use phrases like "Never Forget" but if we don't condemn comments like hers (again regardless of who said it), then we have forgotten.

ramram 09-13-2019 03:49 PM

What we need here is now leaving and what needs to leave is remaining. Sucks.

Rob M

Edited to add - Looks like Leon took care of the later part of that statement.

Cliff Bowman 09-13-2019 03:55 PM

I would have way more respect for Mr Sloate if he had complained equally about political statements made by those on his side of the aisle, there would only be silence from him on those occasions but his head would explode if it was someone from the other side. I will PayPal anyone $20 if they show me a post he made telling someone with views similar to his to knock it off or complain about it.

HOF Auto Rookies 09-13-2019 03:56 PM

Sorry to see you go, Barry. I have always enjoyed your insight.

KMayUSA6060 09-13-2019 03:57 PM

Hmmmm...

My EMT professor ran a pen down my finger/knuckles last night to check for responsiveness. I responded - it hurt. I'll refrain from risking a slap to that wrist as well.

Sorry to see you go, Barry.

Ricky 09-13-2019 04:08 PM

That's a big loss. Barry is one of most knowledgeable baseball card guys around.

OldOriole 09-13-2019 04:11 PM

Sorry to see you go, Barry

A true gentleman with a wealth of card knowledge and history. Barry, I really hate to see you go. I have appreciated your posts on here since well before we made the change to this website. Much like your auctions, I will miss you on the board.

bmattioli 09-13-2019 04:37 PM

If you don't want to be here delete your account and move on. That easy..

al032184 09-13-2019 04:40 PM

JollyElm 09-13-2019 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman (Post 1916565)
I would have way more respect for Mr Sloate if he had complained equally about political statements made by those on his side of the aisle, there would only be silence from him on those occasions but his head would explode if it was someone from the other side. I will PayPal anyone $20 if they show me a post he made telling someone with views similar to his to knock it off or complain about it.

I wish this site had a button that would give 10,000 'likes' with a single click.

CuriousGeorge 09-13-2019 04:56 PM

I’m going to miss David

robkas68 09-13-2019 04:57 PM

I got an idea

Let’s talk about baseball cards

judsonhamlin 09-13-2019 04:58 PM

I may not post much on this forum, but I have known Barry for 25 years and he is the person who introduced me to VCBC (for which I wrote a few articles) and this forum. For those of you who don't know or have never met him, there is no way to fully appreciate his hobby knowledge and experience. I hope that he reconsiders but fully understand why he most likely will not.

Orioles1954 09-13-2019 05:01 PM

Another "I'm mad as hell and leaving Net54" thread. I don't care how well known the person is in the hobby, it's just not a good look.

Fred 09-13-2019 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramram (Post 1916564)
What we need here is now leaving and what needs to leave is remaining. Sucks.

Rob M

Nicely said Rob. If Barry departs, then we'll be losing a lot of cool knowledge and someone that cannot be replaced on this board. This sucks.

CuriousGeorge 09-13-2019 05:08 PM

He left you his email and says he will be happy to supply his knowledge privately.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred (Post 1916584)
Nicely said Rob. If Barry departs, then we'll be losing a lot of cool knowledge and someone that cannot be replaced on this board. This sucks.

Fred 09-13-2019 05:23 PM

Steven,

Being able to read a random post on different topics and have people with good knowledge and insight provide comments is different than sending an email to someone to get general information about a specific subject. The randomness of the topics and comments made by board members with cool information make this a fun place to read. One less knowledgeable contributor doesn't provide anything positive to this board.

Leon 09-13-2019 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by al032184 (Post 1916577)
edited

And I see a full name needed, please.

Rhotchkiss 09-13-2019 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CuriousGeorge (Post 1916580)
I’m going to miss David

I am thrilled he is gone.

Ryan Hotchkiss

CuriousGeorge 09-13-2019 06:03 PM

8291 posts to make up for. Peter’s going to need to step it up!

RedsFan1941 09-13-2019 06:16 PM

barry go across the street to LTS. i hear you will fit right in there and they are hurting for members.

pokerplyr80 09-13-2019 06:18 PM

I admit I don't read every thread, but I didnt realize political comments were such a problem around here. I rarely see them.

Peter_Spaeth 09-13-2019 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedsFan1941 (Post 1916608)
barry go across the street to LTS. i hear you will fit right in there and they are hurting for members.

Or go to a speakeasy.

Leon 09-13-2019 06:28 PM

I just want world peace and to be able to get this last pickle slice out of the jar. It is wedged in....

edjs 09-13-2019 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1916611)
I just want world peace and to be able to get this last pickle slice out of the jar. It is wedged in....

Drain the juice first, then you can shake the jar upside down.:)

For the first, put the peas in the blender, use the “whirl” button. :)

Leon 09-13-2019 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edjs (Post 1916612)
Drain the juice first, then you can shake the jar upside down.:)

For the first, put the peas in the blender, use the “whirl” button. :)

I ended up drinking the juice (I love to do that) and then tipping the jar over. Worked fine. Yum.

Barry is a very good hobby friend and I hope he comes back. He certainly has a lot of knowledge. I am sure we will keep in touch even if he doesn't post. He used to not post for a few years (*I think) and we still spoke.

edjs 09-13-2019 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1916613)
I ended up drinking the juice (I love to do that) and then tipping the jar over. Worked fine. Yum.

Barry is a very good hobby friend and I hope he comes back. He certainly has a lot of knowledge. I am sure we will keep in touch even if he doesn't post. He used to not post for a few years (*I think) and we still spoke.

They sell pickle-sickles from the pickle juice at Silver Dollar City in Branson. Can’t bring myself to try one.

Mark17 09-13-2019 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 (Post 1916609)
I admit I don't read every thread, but I didnt realize political comments were such a problem around here. I rarely see them.

I didn't realize it was a problem either, I've found this site to be more politically free than the comments made on the internal web pages by employees at my recent employer (Wells Fargo,) and they had a no politics rule too.

I come here to think about baseball, cards, memorabilia (and my own happy childhood) and I appreciate the efforts made to keep this place politics free.

Having said that, in a free society, it is sometimes impossible to get away from the topic entirely, and I think people by necessity need to have thick enough skin to withstand the onslaught of being exposed to someone else expressing their opinion on that subject, now and then.

But to each his own. I have backed away from certain sites for awhile, and quit others entirely, when I no longer enjoyed them, for whatever reason. I do think all the bad news involving the card altering scandal has put a damper on things here.... (not saying it shouldn't have, just saying it did.)

brianp-beme 09-13-2019 07:09 PM

Sounds like the posts were in the watercooler section, somewhere that I have never visited until today.

It is usually damp around watercoolers, and dampness typically attracts cockroaches. My best advice to everyone out there is to stop hanging around the watercooler, and get back to work (talking baseball cards).

Brian

Vintagecatcher 09-13-2019 07:45 PM

We need more positive contributors like Barry!

Barry,

Hope you reconsider!

We need more positive and knowledgeable contributors like you!

You are a valuable member on this site!

Patrick

Shoeless Moe 09-13-2019 08:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Yoda 09-13-2019 08:38 PM

Say it ain't so, Barry.

btcarfagno 09-13-2019 08:39 PM

If I were that ticked off by seeing posts regarding politics, the last place I would wander into would be a topic about 9/11.

But that's just me.

drcy 09-13-2019 08:43 PM

Political posts are rare on Net54, and usually quickly stopped by Leon or the others.

Aquarian Sports Cards 09-13-2019 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1916613)

chase the pickle juice with whiskey. It's amazing.

irv 09-13-2019 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrysloate (Post 1916547)

Dumb asses and turned it hostile?? Wow, isn't that special and a little melodramatic as you're trying to come across all angelic like.

Sorry I got your panties in a twist. It wasn't my intent to upset and talk politics, like I said in the post, but one would think, no matter what political side they were on, what was said should outrage anyone with a heart and some compassion.

drcy 09-13-2019 09:53 PM

There's talk about talk about politics in this thread.

I'm half offended.

Peter_Spaeth 09-13-2019 10:01 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkkivgDXG1E

calvindog 09-13-2019 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peter_spaeth (Post 1916653)

lolololol!

pokerplyr80 09-13-2019 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianp-beme (Post 1916619)
Sounds like the posts were in the watercooler section, somewhere that I have never visited until today.

It is usually damp around watercoolers, and dampness typically attracts cockroaches. My best advice to everyone out there is to stop hanging around the watercooler, and get back to work (talking baseball cards).

Brian

Ironically the water cooler section is usually free of the drama and negativity found on the main page. The sports section is a fun place to talk about current sports news and big games.

brianp-beme 09-14-2019 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 (Post 1916660)
Ironically the water cooler section is usually free of the drama and negativity found on the main page. The sports section is a fun place to talk about current sports news and big games.

Then maybe it is not a bad place. But I would still feel guilty being there and not earning my salary typing about baseball cards back at my work desk.

Brian

robertsmithnocure 09-14-2019 01:18 AM

Why do people want to announce that they are leaving? Isn’t it really easy just to delete your account or just never long on and/or visit this site again?