Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Beckett Acquires Goodwin and Co. (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=198614)

olrac44 12-19-2014 07:30 AM

Beckett Acquires Goodwin and Co.

I was quite surprised when I read this article this morning.

http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com...pany-auctions/

Leon 12-19-2014 07:53 AM

That's interesting....

ullmandds 12-19-2014 08:06 AM

Wow!

bobbyw8469 12-19-2014 08:12 AM

Not quite sure if that is good or bad...lol

wolf441 12-19-2014 08:18 AM

Interesting...

Glad that Bill is staying on. Sounds like it could be a good thing moving forward with an infusion of capital. I've always been a fan of Goodwin Auctions. Nice catalogs and any time I've had questions, I've received emailed responses directly from Bill.

ullmandds 12-19-2014 08:19 AM

Things that make you go, hmmmm? Not sure how I feel about a grading co and an auction house under the same roof...but I can certainly think of areas of the biz that may improve.

wolf441 12-19-2014 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1356622)
Things that make you go, hmmmm? Not sure how I feel about a grading co and an auction house under the same roof...but I can certainly think of areas of the biz that may improve.

Good point Pete,

I've never bought a Beckett graded item, so I almost forgot they were in the business...

atx840 12-19-2014 09:41 AM

Hopefully raw consignments can still be submitted to SGC or PSA through the house.

nolemmings 12-19-2014 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atx840 (Post 1356641)
Hopefully raw consignments can still be submitted to SGC or PSA through the house.

I would doubt it.

ethicsprof 12-19-2014 09:57 AM

marriage?

with Pete, I have to go hmmmm....

best,
barry

Sean1125 12-19-2014 11:10 AM

Maybe he can pay quicker than after the next auction with this infusion. Waiting nearly 90 days for payment was un-excusable.

CardboardCollector 12-19-2014 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atx840 (Post 1356641)

It makes me wonder if SGC or PSA will play with the grading if they see the Goodwin address (aka Beckett).

Also in a similar vein, will Beckett play with the grading if it comes through Goodwin.

I like Bill, but he works for Beckett now.

Hopefully this is not a wave of acquisitions of other AHs by grading companies.

None of this passes my sniff test.

Dean

Mikehealer 12-19-2014 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean1125 (Post 1356680)
Maybe he can pay quicker than after the next auction with this infusion. Waiting nearly 90 days for payment was un-excusable.

un-excusable?

slidekellyslide 12-19-2014 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolemmings (Post 1356643)
I would doubt it.

They'll lose money if they don't.

nolemmings 12-19-2014 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slidekellyslide (Post 1356704)
They'll lose money if they don't.

Probably, at least in the short term. But what better way to get your brand out there in the auction circles than to grade the raw cards and thus have several more in the market, especially if you offer the grading to consignors for little or no cost? They'll have to be wary of the conflict suspicions though.

Leon 12-19-2014 02:31 PM

My understanding from just now speaking with Bill is that he is free to submit to any grading company he wants to. He said he will continue using the grader the consignor chooses and/or the one that will bring the most money in auction. I think in our space that will continue to be mostly SGC and PSA. He said his catalog is staying the same. I understand he is under a multi-year contract and after that I don't know (I didn't ask). :). He is going to continue to be a valued advertiser on our board too, which I am appreciative of. The checks and resources will be coming from Beckett but Bill's auction should look the same for at least several years to come. He is excited about the new possibilities he has coming his way. I wish him all the best.

iwantitiwinit 12-19-2014 02:38 PM

I have always found Bill to be fair and get the highest prices for sellers. Best of luck Bill.

slidekellyslide 12-19-2014 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1356754)
My understanding from just now speaking with Bill is that he is free to submit to any grading company he wants to. He said he will continue using the grader the consignor chooses and/or the one that will bring the most money in auction. I think in our space that will continue to be mostly SGC and PSA. He said his catalog is staying the same. I understand he is under a multi-year contract and after that I don't know (I didn't ask). :). He is going to continue to be a valued advertiser on our board too, which I am appreciative of. The checks and resources will be coming from Beckett but Bill's auction should look the same for at least several years to come. He is excited about the new possibilities he has coming his way. I wish him all the best.

So basically Bill went from owner to employee and everything stays the same. Sometimes it's good to be the boss, but it's a lot less of a headache to just be an employee, and I can understand that.

steve B 12-19-2014 03:40 PM

I haven't bought from any of the big auctions, but this feels like when I found out Chrysler owned a big chunk of Lamborghini.

Me being me, I asked the Chrysler zone rep when I could get a V12 reliant or a 2.2 turbo Countach. He wasn't amused. :D

Steve B

ullmandds 12-19-2014 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slidekellyslide (Post 1356764)
so basically bill went from owner to employee and everything stays the same. Sometimes it's good to be the boss, but it's a lot less of a headache to just be an employee, and i can understand that.

i am sure "everything" won't stay the same...it never does!

slidekellyslide 12-19-2014 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1356792)
i am sure "everything" won't stay the same...it never does!

Hmmm....didn't "everything" stay the same when Doug took over from Bill M? :D