Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   O/t - Safes (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=249519)

Stampsfan 01-02-2018 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 1734664)
Just remember. . . .the typical homeowners policy excludes flood damage and the typical flood policy as far as I know excludes everything below ground. . .except the mechanicals. After Sandy I looked at my flood policy for the first time. Mine replaced boiler, furnace, washer, dryer. . .and absolutely nothing else. Don't think the insurance company will be particularly moved about your card collection you stored below ground.

Good points Steve. Never thought of that. Thanks...

EldoEsq 01-02-2018 01:51 PM

I have a Liberty safe. Love it.

An important thing to consider also is to buy a safe you can grow into. Whether its cards, coins, guns, etc., you do not want to buy something that fits your collection "just right." Like most, my "just right" has changed multiple times over my life! Buy the biggest and best you can afford!

Snapolit1 01-02-2018 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampsfan (Post 1734869)
Good points Steve. Never thought of that. Thanks...

Otherwise every time someone's basement flooded they would be seeing claims for rare stamp collections lost, rare cards washed away, comic books, etc. That's the reality of it. All of a sudden people's prized stuff would all be in the basement.

Of course if you live in an area with zero flood threat might be a non issue.

Tennis13 01-03-2018 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 1734512)
I put minimal thought into it and bought a Sentry safe from Amazon. Brand has a solid reputation. Heavy as hell and some dude carried it into my house. Works fine.
Flood and fire rating? If my house burns to the ground my collection will be the least of my worries. And is insured. Flood a little more important as I did have a terrible flood on the other side of my home.

I cannot believe how deep we are into this thread and nobody has posted this video. I think safes present the illusion of safety, and if someone wants in, they'll get in and it may involve you nicely opening it for them against your will. They protect to varying degrees and stop probably nearly every petty criminal. That said, some are just a joke. The Sentry safe is a giant POS that if someone is even moderately motivated to go to work, they can:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TBhfnIu9lTw

Snapolit1 01-03-2018 05:12 AM

I had no illusion I was protecting myself from a home invasion. Really just to put a few things so they would be out of eyesight of workers and other visitors to my home.

vintagetoppsguy 01-03-2018 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tennis13 (Post 1735032)
I cannot believe how deep we are into this thread and nobody has posted this video. I think safes present the illusion of safety, and if someone wants in, they'll get in and it may involve you nicely opening it for them against your will. They protect to varying degrees and stop probably nearly every petty criminal. That said, some are just a joke. The Sentry safe is a giant POS that if someone is even moderately motivated to go to work, they can:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TBhfnIu9lTw

2 Things:

1) It's a Sentry safe. Really I can stop right there and my point is made without saying another word.

2) It's an electronic locking mechanism which sucks as I mentioned in post #7 (although I tried to be nice about saying it).

Tennis13 01-03-2018 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy (Post 1735058)
2 Things:

1) It's a Sentry safe. Really I can stop right there and my point is made without saying another word.

2) It's an electronic locking mechanism which sucks as I mentioned in post #7 (although I tried to be nice about saying it).

Yes. I just want to make sure that people didnt just buy one at Wal Mart or amazon and think they were good for like $300. Spend the extra $500 or so and get something legit rather than flushing $300 down the drain. I mean i imagine there are low level safe thiefs that have this nailed down. Would be a shame to lose the lottery to them if they choose your house some night.

Stampsfan 01-03-2018 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 1735049)
I had no illusion I was protecting myself from a home invasion. Really just to put a few things so they would be out of eyesight of workers and other visitors to my home.

+1

BruceinGa 01-03-2018 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silvor (Post 1734560)
Don't get this safe.

For Christmas I bought myself an 8 gun Stack On gun cabinet from eBay. They were correct in calling it a cabinet as I compare it to a file cabinet. It's nothing like a safe. For keeping my guns away from young kids it suits my needs.
As for my cards, all of my "good" ones are in a large safe deposit box at Wells Fargo, $120 a year.