Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Trusting only graded High price cards and Ohio dealer (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=267237)

BillP 03-24-2019 02:00 PM

Trusting only graded High price cards and Ohio dealer

As a longer time collector and seeing so many fakes and reprints out there, my collecting views have turned to graded only cards for purchased of high priced cards. For me that's All Mantles, 50's major stars, 63 rose and also my '58 jimmy brown to name a few.
I like filling in my sets with cards that never were, i.e. the Lemke items, but I just can't swallow the risk of buying a Mantle under the raw title of "you judge" or "All sales final" or "sold under a could be reprint" theme. I also look at feedback to guide me with the moderately expense 50's cards.

On another front, where does the Ohio guy with 98.8-99.1% feedback get all his cards? He's always out there with lots and stars, albeit I have to say that most look 1 to 1.5x grades too high. But did buy a graded maris and it was fine.

Comments on either welcome.

billp

jchcollins 03-25-2019 01:06 PM

Agree with your sentiments on anything high priced. It's just too risky not to buy graded. The sad fact is, there is still a market for "listing this as a reprint" type-fakes when cards that routinely should sell for 5 figures can be faked and still sell for a couple hundred bucks. I find it hard to believe this kind of thing still goes on with eBay, but it does. If you have zero scruples whatsoever you can get some obviously fake Mantle cards and sell them every week for at least $50 a pop; I've seen it happen. My advice to people who like raw cards would be to buy graded for anything high dollar (to me that's over $50 but each unto their own...) and then learn how to bust out of the slab when it arrives.

AGuinness 03-25-2019 01:24 PM

Based on recent trimmed cards appearing in graded slabs, it’s not a fool-proof plan to just buy graded cards.
Get educated, buy from trusted and reliable sellers and stay aware of red flags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jchcollins 03-25-2019 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AGuinness (Post 1865078)
Based on recent trimmed cards appearing in graded slabs, it’s not a fool-proof plan to just buy graded cards.
Get educated, buy from trusted and reliable sellers and stay aware of red flags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grading is not infallible, but it is a good safety net. I would agree that a combination of a trusted seller plus getting PSA or SGC for high dollar items is the best bet.

pokerplyr80 03-25-2019 05:14 PM

You can probably trust graded low priced cards more than high priced examples. And I'm not sure about this Ohio guy. If be was from Wisconsin I'd say he's definitely trustworthy.

Volod 03-26-2019 12:45 PM

Cheezy

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 (Post 1865145)
You can probably trust graded low priced cards more than high priced examples. And I'm not sure about this Ohio guy. If he was from Wisconsin I'd say he's definitely trustworthy.

Hey, I think I resent that.:mad:

pokerplyr80 03-26-2019 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volod (Post 1865316)
Hey, I think I resent that.:mad:

Just a joke, I have no idea who the OP is referring to.

vintagebaseballcardguy 03-26-2019 05:07 PM

I think he's referring to Triple Play Vintage on ebay.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk