Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   July Pick Ups Thread (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=257181)

slidekellyslide 07-06-2018 04:54 PM

July Pick Ups Thread
 
9 Attachment(s)
Just got this today. It's a 1920s-30s scrapbook made by the trainer for the University of Nebraska and the Lincoln minor league baseball team. It is filled with goodies. Over 20 baseball season passes for the Western League, Nebraska State League, Lincoln and Omaha teams. There are autographs (Christy Walsh, Cy Sherman, Les Nunamaker, Bernie Masterson, Dana X Bible, Roland Locke, Johnny Goodman and others). Also photos of the Husker football teams from the 1920s-30s and even a snapshot of Knute Rockne. Right in my wheelhouse considering I collect both Lincoln minor league and pre-WW2 Husker football memorabilia.

ooo-ribay 07-06-2018 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slidekellyslide (Post 1792725)
Just got this today. It's a 1920s-30s scrapbook made by the trainer for the University of Nebraska and the Lincoln minor league baseball team. It is filled with goodies. Over 20 baseball season passes for the Western League, Nebraska State League, Lincoln and Omaha teams. There are autographs (Christy Walsh, Cy Sherman, Les Nunamaker, Bernie Masterson, Dana X Bible, Roland Locke, Johnny Goodman and others). Also photos of the Husker football teams from the 1920s-30s and even a snapshot of Knute Rockne. Right in my wheelhouse considering I collect both Lincoln minor league and pre-WW2 Husker football memorabilia.

Definitely a treasure trove for you! That said, I’ll bet most of us non-Nebraska collectors would enjoy looking through it, as well.

bobfreedman 07-06-2018 08:51 PM

Matty Fad-A-Way Box
 
1 Attachment(s)
Recent eBay pickup, not a very rare piece but in fantastic condition. One in REA in their last auction, in terrible condition sold for $3k. I will listen to offers if anyone would like to purchase this? Comes with the glass top as well as the gumballs

ksfarmboy 07-06-2018 10:48 PM

Incredible find Dan. Great stuff in there.

Baseballcrazy62 07-07-2018 05:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Picked this up today.Attachment 322314

Scott Garner 07-07-2018 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slidekellyslide (Post 1792725)
Just got this today. It's a 1920s-30s scrapbook made by the trainer for the University of Nebraska and the Lincoln minor league baseball team. It is filled with goodies. Over 20 baseball season passes for the Western League, Nebraska State League, Lincoln and Omaha teams. There are autographs (Christy Walsh, Cy Sherman, Les Nunamaker, Bernie Masterson, Dana X Bible, Roland Locke, Johnny Goodman and others). Also photos of the Husker football teams from the 1920s-30s and even a snapshot of Knute Rockne. Right in my wheelhouse considering I collect both Lincoln minor league and pre-WW2 Husker football memorabilia.


Wow, Dan!! These are great items for your collection. Excellent pickups, all. :cool:

Baseballcrazy62 07-07-2018 07:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This caught my eye today. Same design on both sides. It’s about 20” across. Debating whether to put some HOF signatures on it. Anyone remember seeing these in Canton?

Attachment 322315

slidekellyslide 07-08-2018 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baseballcrazy62 (Post 1792984)
Picked this up today.Attachment 322314

I’ve got this one on my fireplace. Around here he’s called “The Bobfather”.

ooo-ribay 07-08-2018 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slidekellyslide (Post 1793083)
Around here he’s called “The Bobfather”.

Ain’t that the truth!

RedsFan1941 07-08-2018 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baseballcrazy62 (Post 1793021)
This caught my eye today. Same design on both sides. It’s about 20” across. Debating whether to put some HOF signatures on it. Anyone remember seeing these in Canton?

Attachment 322315

Having lived in Canton almost my whole life, I remember seeing these all over the place. In stores, along the parade route, in bars, hung in the windows of residents’ homes ... all over the city. Great piece!

ruth-gehrig 07-08-2018 11:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Recently found these 2 items in a box I packed away close to 10 years ago lol

Den*nis O*Brien 07-08-2018 01:34 PM

Wow !!!
 
Dan's Nebraska find is the stuff of dreams for focused collectors. The snapshot is a jewel.

seattlerainiers 07-08-2018 04:08 PM

Dan's score
 
Exceptional pick-up, Dan.

The Lincoln season pass horde is amazing. Those of us that avidly collect season passes with a definite #1 city (Lincoln for Dan, Seattle for me) know that this group is a once or twice in a collecting-lifetime grab.

Congrats!

slidekellyslide 07-08-2018 05:06 PM

Thank you for the nice words fellas. Dave is right, before this pickup I had exactly zero pre-1947 Lincoln season passes. In fact I'd never even seen one before.

Dewey 07-08-2018 06:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
1949 Jackie Robinson congressional testimony. Love that the back has Sugar Ray crossed out. How do you get Jackie wrong in 1949?

JoeDfan 07-11-2018 06:22 PM

Mail Day!
 
2 Attachment(s)
Got this MONSTER bat today. Probably the thickest handle I have ever seen. More like a log than a bat.
I love the logos on a lot of the vintage bats; they are like little pieces of artwork.

aquarius31 07-14-2018 11:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It has been a quiet 2018 as the stuff I'm collecting as of recent tends to be obscure and doesn't come up for auction too often. I'm still in shock that I was able to pick up this beautiful 19th century lithograph with President Grover Cleveland bidding farewell to White Stockings before their 1888-1889 world tour! I have quite a few woodcuts and books regarding the world tour but this one definitely takes the cake! In frame, it's a whopping 33"x40".

Huysmans 07-14-2018 02:40 PM

Great pick up George.
I've always liked that lithograph.

Brent

aquarius31 07-15-2018 11:32 AM

Thanks Brent!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Runscott 07-16-2018 06:53 PM

Great pick-up Dan. You probably have the best Nebraska sports history museum in the country.

I bought this a while back, but just got it framed yesterday (Gerrit Beneker study for 'Baseball Magazine' cover of Federal League issue):

71buc 07-20-2018 03:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Nice "find" on those trophies Scott and I love the original artwork. I just picked up this poster advertising the first Telethon for the Roberto Clemente Sports City. I posted a bit more information for those who are interested on docpatlv's 365 days of Roberto Clemente thread on the Post War Cards side.

bobfreedman 07-20-2018 10:39 AM

Two Hunts Pickups
 
2 Attachment(s)
1925 Pirates Pin and Max Carey's HOF pin

ooo-ribay 07-20-2018 12:18 PM

Mike - awesome find for your Bucs collection!

Bob - Wow! Just wow. Is that pin a six incher? Isn't that the one Muchinsky had some crazy number on?

71buc 07-20-2018 01:13 PM

Bob doesn't have a collection he has a museum :eek:

bobfreedman 07-20-2018 01:55 PM

Pickups
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 1796500)
Mike - awesome find for your Bucs collection!

Bob - Wow! Just wow. Is that pin a six incher? Isn't that the one Muchinsky had some crazy number on?

Yes, it is a very large piece and my guess is 6" . I have a duplicate (in lesser condition) that I will be selling shortly. I have no idea what Muchinsky said about this, sorry

perezfan 07-20-2018 04:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pleasantly surprised to get this one from Hunts...

Rollie Hemsley all-original Zip-front Flannel from Senators Inaugural Season.

Runscott 07-26-2018 04:05 PM

Just got this one framed - Gerrit Beneker watercolor study for cover of the May, 1911 Baseball Magazine:

Dewey 07-26-2018 07:41 PM

Really great, Scott. Love the art.

slidekellyslide 07-27-2018 11:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Picked up a Nebraska Indians cover envelope. My third one..and all have been different.

JoeDfan 07-27-2018 09:11 PM

Mail day
 
3 Attachment(s)
Picked up another really cool Kren Gehrig to go along with my Klouter. This one is a Kren's Special.

Runscott 07-30-2018 08:40 PM

I picked up a few modern game-used items this month.
  • James Paxton game-used no-hitter baseball
  • James Paxton no-hitter ticket
  • Ichiro baseball he fielded in his last game in right-field. I think he played two more games after this one, but not in right.

Also won a 1958-59 scorebook from when Mel Ott worked with the Tigers. Some of the handwriting is authenticated by JSA, but I'll be curious about 'what' since Mel died prior to the 1958 season.

CarltonHendricks 07-31-2018 12:26 AM

congrat
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by aquarius31 (Post 1794796)
It has been a quiet 2018 as the stuff I'm collecting as of recent tends to be obscure and doesn't come up for auction too often. I'm still in shock that I was able to pick up this beautiful 19th century lithograph with President Grover Cleveland bidding farewell to White Stockings before their 1888-1889 world tour! I have quite a few woodcuts and books regarding the world tour but this one definitely takes the cake! In frame, it's a whopping 33"x40".

what the heck...i've never see that before...what a find congrats...and 33" x 40" wow a great looking piece...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:03 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.