Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Supreme Court overturns Quill, subjects all internet transactions to sales tax (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=256539)

Santo10Fan 06-21-2018 11:07 AM

Supreme Court overturns Quill, subjects all internet transactions to sales tax

Today is a day many of us have known would come. It was a 5-4 decision. While many giant etailers already collect tax, I feel ebay sellers like many on this board are going to feel the change most. The Post mentions over 11,000 jurisdictions affected-so municipalities will get their taste as well.

KMayUSA6060 06-21-2018 11:20 AM

:mad:

No further comment.

Leon 06-21-2018 11:28 AM

As a small business owner, so far, I want to see how this plays out. There should have already been taxes being collected on many items. A lot of my ebay stuff has sales tax added. All (or almost all) of my Amazon purchases do.

This law could help the small, especially brick and mortar businesses, who get hurt by the current law. We shall see. I am generally never in favor of new taxes otherwise.

frankbmd 06-21-2018 11:33 AM

Fortunately we (Net54) already have this covered

Buy
Sell
Tax

;)

steve B 06-21-2018 11:36 AM

With a small seller, which tax gets charged? Does the sale happen where I am? Where they are?

If I buy something from a seller in NH, which has no sales tax do I pay the MA rate? And if I do, then as it probably works now, the seller gets the MA sales tax and has to file forms to pay it. And probably the forms to be allowed to collect it. Being in NH they probably won't do that, so they benefit by 6.25%
If I sell something to someone in NH, will I have to collect the 6.25% that I'll probably owe Mass?

What a miserable decision. The overhead alone of tracking what's owed to who will probably kill off most small sellers.

Santo10Fan 06-21-2018 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve B (Post 1788510)
With a small seller, which tax gets charged? Does the sale happen where I am? Where they are?

If I buy something from a seller in NH, which has no sales tax do I pay the MA rate? And if I do, then as it probably works now, the seller gets the MA sales tax and has to file forms to pay it. And probably the forms to be allowed to collect it. Being in NH they probably won't do that, so they benefit by 6.25%
If I sell something to someone in NH, will I have to collect the 6.25% that I'll probably owe Mass?

What a miserable decision. The overhead alone of tracking what's owed to who will probably kill off most small sellers.

As best I can tell, the sales tax charge will be based on the seller's zip code. The burden will then be on the seller to determine if the item falls under state, local and county tax codes.

glchen 06-21-2018 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Santo10Fan (Post 1788511)
As best I can tell, the sales tax charge will be based on the seller's zip code. The burden will then be on the seller to determine if the item falls under state, local and county tax codes.

I think it will be based upon the buyer's ship to zip code, and not the seller's zip code. Therefore, unless ebay changes their software to automatically collect the tax for all sellers, each seller may have to collect tax for all of their buyers and then send these taxes that they collected to all 50 states (or those that have a sales tax), which would be a huge pain. Right now, I only collect tax for buyers in California, and I have to complete a form every year for that. If I have to do that for all 50 states, it would be a tremendous overhead.

Rhotchkiss 06-21-2018 12:37 PM

Have not read the decision -- when is it effective? I mean, by what date do sellers need to charge/buyers need to pay, sales tax?

markf31 06-21-2018 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glchen (Post 1788536)
I think it will be based upon the buyer's ship to zip code, and not the seller's zip code. Therefore, unless ebay changes their software to automatically collect the tax for all sellers, each seller may have to collect tax for all of their buyers and then send these taxes that they collected to all 50 states (or those that have a sales tax), which would be a huge pain. Right now, I only collect tax for buyers in California, and I have to complete a form every year for that. If I have to do that for all 50 states, it would be a tremendous overhead.

I believe you are correct, that the tax would be based on the buyer's ship to zip code.

This case originated out of South Dakota, which enacted a law that required all merchants to collect a 4.5 percent sales tax if they had more than $100,000 in annual sales or more than 200 individual transactions in the state. State officials sued three large online retailers — Wayfair, Overstock.com and Newegg — for violating the law. Those lawsuits led to this decision today.

I would hope that states, as they move forward with this new taxing power, would institute similar statues in regards to which merchants they would require to collect sales tax.... ie annual sales over X number of dollars or Y number of transactions.

AGuinness 06-21-2018 02:54 PM

I wonder what impact this will have on COMC, too...

If the SD law is mirrored by other states, the 200 transactions part would be an easy one to surpass just breaking a single box of cards and selling singles. Could be a few hundred transactions at a total of maybe $100...