Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What type of member/collector are you? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=162010)

frankbmd 01-22-2013 08:12 PM

What type of member/collector are you?

The Hoarder - accumulates cards incessantly and never sells until death do him part.

The Drifter - Has focused goals that once met may refocus in a new goal resulting in the disposition of the old goal or those who drift from one goal to another without ever completing any of them.

The Churner - Auction addicts with some level of budgetary constraint who can’t resist a good auction and are forced to sell in order to pay their auction bills or save their marriage. Emotionally crazed collectors who frequently buy high and sell low.

The Hobby Investor (Wise old Collector) - Focused collector who consistently looks for deals on cards they hope to sell someday for more than their costs. No card in the gottahaveit category, only good deals. These are the savvy collectors who are chameleons who hide in the reeds with patience aplenty ready to pounce at the most opportune time.

The Bottom Feeder - whose best card is only slightly better than his worst, which has borderline authenticity, paper loss, markings, stains or rodent tooth prints, or better yet all of the above. Fills empty binder sleeves faster than a locomotive to complete sets that absolutely no one would be proud of.

The Elitest - whose worst card is only slightly worse than his best, which appears to never have been held in human hands. Cards where the terms immaculate and pristine somehow fall short and seem inadequate. The collector who pops his tops only after buying the tops in Pops.

The Flipper - Member without a true collection of their own who is looking for cards, often in larger lots that they can resell for a profit either here or on the Bay, but do this as a hobby and not for a living. Different from the group above in that the flip is a quicker maneuver and their collection is nonexistent.

The Sniper - the collector who gains pleasure from seeing grown men cry at their screens after losing an auction to his last second bid.

The Cracker - self-described liberator of cards entombed in plastic cases designed for their preservation. Also known as The Feeler

The Crossover Artist - buys only cards from a TPG he doesn't like so that he can spend more money resubmitting either for a higher grade or "the look".

The Dealer/Collector - Dealers that have legitimate collecting interest, but are clearly trying to make a living in the cardboard trade.

The Auctioneer - an owner in the proliferating Auction House Industry.

The Hard Core Dealer - full time non-collector who suck and feed on all of the above.

The Newbie - the awestruck deer (dear) who know they want to be hit by the approaching vehicle but can't decide quickly enough whether to take a head shot, a broadside or a kick in the ass.

The Ex-Collector - the guy who may or may not still have some or all of their collections but for one reason or another, financial or motivational, is not actively chasing anything.

The Dead Collector - sort of a permanent Ex, as Ex-Collectors can always re-enter. This category consists of (death) certified collectors only.

The Future Collector - The offspring of a collector who has no idea of what they may inherit from The Dead Collector

The Unborn Collector aka Collector-in-Utero - The last hope for the sexually active collector who already has a stable of deadbeat future collectors, who don't know the difference between a Cobb and an ear of corn.

The Researcher - Yes, there are valid research interests in prewar collecting, but if you can do a google search, copy & paste and post on
Net54, you may find your "research (?)" regarded with plaudits. ;):D:D

All of the above may be not be mutually exclusive, so that you may find that you are a Hybrid Collector. Don’t be alarmed. This is not a serious condition and can be treated.:D I think.

This thread is the result of a conversation (Boca) with another member (bird) earlier today who may want to remain anonymous (man).;)

Gradedcardman 01-22-2013 08:14 PM

Type

Unfortunately, the churner :)

g_vezina_c55 01-22-2013 08:17 PM

Verry cool thread Frank. I will think about it before post what kind i am :)

Kenny Cole 01-22-2013 08:20 PM

Hoarder

brianp-beme 01-22-2013 08:24 PM

Hoardchurner

A wannabe hoarder who churns out of necessity because otherwise he would only have cardboard for supper.

Brian

jimivintage 01-22-2013 08:34 PM

Definitely a cross breed of the churner and hobby investor. So an "investing hobby churner"? :)

HercDriver 01-22-2013 08:34 PM

Drifter

I'm a bit of a Drifter, although with a fairly long time span between drifts! I try to start something new, but always seem to come back to T205s in some form or other...

Take Care,
Geno

HRBAKER 01-22-2013 08:36 PM

Definitely, a Hoarder.

BengoughingForAwhile 01-22-2013 08:52 PM

The Chick Magnet Collector

None of the above. I collect for the chicks. Nothing turns women on more than when you tell em you collect old baseball cards! :D

DeanH3 01-22-2013 09:10 PM

I need a catagory for a collector that wants to keep everything but has budgetary constraints that force them to sell something in order to afford another card. I cringe at some of the cards I have sold, and probably will sell in the future, in order to acquire another card. It sure is tough to build a collection when all I do is rotate cards. :mad:

frankbmd 01-22-2013 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeanH3 (Post 1077198)
I need a catagory for a collector that wants to keep everything but has budgetary constraints that force them to sell something in order to afford another card. I cringe at some of the cards I have sold, and probably will sell in the future, in order to acquire another card. It sure is tough to build a collection when all I do is rotate cards. :mad:

Hoardchurner hybrid

atx840 01-22-2013 09:21 PM

Hoardchurner hybrid :(

Leon 01-22-2013 09:23 PM

nice list

Pick 6 and then add babysitter to the list :). I am there. Fun list Frank!!

sdkammeyer 01-22-2013 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1077176)

All of the above may be not be mutually exclusive, so that you may find that you are a Hybrid Collector. Don’t be alarmed. This is not a serious condition and can be treated.:D I think.
(man).;)

I fear I am a hybrid. What I fear more is the treatment. Will you be prescribing a pill, cream, or suppository for my condition Doc?

Also, is treatment covered under my collector's insurance policy?

alanu 01-22-2013 09:44 PM

I'm a churner/drifter/flipper

RCMcKenzie 01-22-2013 09:47 PM

all of the above

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 85252

Investor-hoarder. I spent an hour this afternoon at my office making this non-sport cabinet card instead of working.

Iron Horse 01-22-2013 09:56 PM

well,

A hybrid/churner i would be. Also, partial to cards that may not be on my list, but look damn good and must have NOW! :D

chris6net 01-22-2013 10:11 PM

A Hoarder

Howe’s Hunter 01-22-2013 10:13 PM

Hoarder and proud of it.

varsitycollectibles 01-22-2013 11:17 PM

Drifter

I like songs about drifters, books about the same. They both make me feel a little less insane. - Modest Mouse

teetwoohsix 01-23-2013 12:03 AM

Hoarder. :D

Sincerely, Clayton

DeanH3 01-23-2013 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1077199)
Hoardchurner hybrid

That fits just fine. :D

joeadcock 01-23-2013 03:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Drifter hybrid type.

But mostly, I've survived in this hobby "cause I'm a dancer". In the immortal words of John Belushi.

leaflover 01-23-2013 03:56 AM

A Hoarder/Churner who breaks New Year resolutions by the middle of January. Each year I check myself into REHAB shortly after the National.

Bocabirdman 01-23-2013 04:01 AM

I started out as a Hoarder almost 50 years ago. I slid into being a Drifter after about 10 years. I eventually graduated to being a Dealer. Shortly thereafter, I became either an extra slow (30 years) Churner or noncataloged Flusher as I sold my collection for literally pennies on the dollar.:D A little less than three years ago, I returned as a Hoarder again, attempting to replace the collection from long ago. I have eventually settled in as a Pre-War Drifter with a Monster on my back.:D

I wonder if we'll hear from any Hard Core Dealers?:eek:

EvilKing00 01-23-2013 04:27 AM

im a mixed breed between The Churner & Hobby Investor

rainier2004 01-23-2013 04:54 AM

I really question that Im the first Cracker here? Nothin but a drifter/cracker jack hybrid...nice list!

Bocabirdman 01-23-2013 05:17 AM

We'll hear from some Newbies as soon as a kindly Hoarder or Drifter points them in the right direction and the headlights pass.:D

markf31 01-23-2013 05:42 AM

I don't think I fit into any of those, when I saw The Drifter, I suspected that would have been me, but after reading the description I realized it's not because my goals rarely seem to stay focused for very long before something else catches my attention.

I propose an amendment to the original list and add the following:

The Wanderer – Has loosely focused goals or ever changing goals, could also be referred to as a “Type Collector”. They wonder auction listings, the Bay and the B/S/T unhindered by set, issue, type or player constraints, where others find chaos and disorder the wonderer finds a sense of freedom.

I would be a Wanderer/Churner hybrid, not affraid to sell something I have to augment my funds to acquire something new.

Bocabirdman 01-23-2013 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markf31 (Post 1077268)
I don't think I fit into any of those, when I saw The Drifter, I suspected that would have been me, but after reading the description I realized it's not because my goals rarely seem to stay focused for very long before something else catches my attention.

I propose an amendment to the original list and add the following:

The Wonderer – Has loosely focused goals or ever changing goals, could also be referred to as a “Type Collector”. They wonder auction listings, the Bay and the B/S/T unhindered by set, issue, type or player constraints, where others find chaos and disorder the wonderer finds a sense of freedom.

I would be a Wonderer/Churner hybrid, not affraid to sell something I have to augment my funds to acquire something new.

I wonder if you mean wander:D

markf31 01-23-2013 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bocabirdman (Post 1077269)
I wonder if you mean wander:D

Yes, yes I did. That's why I'm an engineer...gotta play to your strengths haha!

larrie804 01-23-2013 06:03 AM

What I do

I am a collector/dealer. I love the beautiful old cards...1900-1960, but sell enough to support our desire to travel!

Bocabirdman 01-23-2013 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markf31 (Post 1077272)
Yes, yes I did. That's why I'm an engineer...gotta play to your strengths haha!

Wonderer could have worked too:D

g_vezina_c55 01-23-2013 06:30 AM

Churner-drifter

dabigyankeeman 01-23-2013 10:38 AM

I would be closest to THE DRIFTER, but perhaps i am THE ADDER (a new category - one who continues to really work on his main goal but has to add smaller sub-goals).

I am a Yankee collector, collecting Yankee cards from the early 1900's though now. Obviously this gives me an enormous amount of cards to acquire and i will never get them all. However, after 32 years of collecting, i am so strong that most of the stuff i need is either obscure or getting too expensive, so i acquire slowly.

What i have to do is add little new collection types so that i can keep getting new things inbetween my Yankee buys.

I first added a section of cards of players who were on the Yankees but the card shows them on another team, such as Roger Maris on Cleveland in 1958, Casey Stengel on a Play Ball card, etc.

Then i added a Jewish baseball player collection, which i soon opened up to take in Jewish players from all sports.

The last new little part of my collection is in its infancy, and its trying to get a card of every pitcher that Mickey Mantle hit a home run off of.

I am also a CRACKER too, as i always free my cards from their plastic tombs.

This is fun!! :D

Bosox Blair 01-23-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dabigyankeeman (Post 1077346)
...perhaps i am THE ADDER (a new category - one who continues to really work on his main goal but has to add smaller sub-goals).

Good one, Arnie - I am also an "ADDER" by your definition (which I think is a good descriptive category).

Cheers,
Blair

frankbmd 01-23-2013 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bosox Blair (Post 1077357)
Good one, Arnie - I am also an "ADDER" by your definition (which I think is a good descriptive category).

Cheers,
Blair

"The Drifter"
definition expanded and clarified in the OP to include my understanding of The Adder. Drifters are no longer required to finish a project and may add projects at any time.

novakjr 01-23-2013 11:46 AM

I guess I would fall into the Hobby Investor/Hoarder/Drifter

Constantly bottom-feeding and looking for steals(sometimes with the intention to flip all of part of said deal eventually, but the items ultimately NEVER leave my collection). Occasionally, one great deal will shift my focus towards that find..Then I end up hoarding anything that I can find that is similar(sometimes overpaying), all while still keeping an eye out for the next big deal, which often pops up before I am able to complete the previous focus. And then cycle starts all over again.

HOF rookies are about the only constant in all of my madness..

t206hound 01-23-2013 11:53 AM

Hybrid!

I'm definitely a hybrid... call me the Flipvestor (or the Hunter).

To me, it's all about the hunt... the chase. Ultimately my focused collections will be sold, but I flip to aid in that hunt.

djson1 01-23-2013 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cubs1969 (Post 1077197)
None of the above. I collect for the chicks. Nothing turns women on more than when you tell em you collect old baseball cards! :D

Ha...funny. "Chicks dig it".
But really, I think I fall in many of the categories above. How can you be just one? :rolleyes:

Bocabirdman 01-23-2013 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djson1 (Post 1077417)
Ha...funny. "Chicks dig it".
But really, I think I fall in many of the categories above. How can you be just one? :rolleyes:

Then you are a hybrid. Therapy costs will rise accordingly....:D

kmac32 01-23-2013 03:01 PM

Sniper/ crossover artist for me. LOL

hoot-owl 01-23-2013 03:25 PM

I am a Hoarder with Cracker tendencies and a bent toward Drifting. I don't know what I collect because it changes all the time, but I keep everything, and all cards are cracked out of their plastic tombs.

sb32 01-23-2013 03:27 PM

Definitely a Drifter, trying not to become a Hoarder.

Rickyy 01-23-2013 05:07 PM

hybrid to the max...a bit of this a bit of that.... :D

Ricky Y

jimhopkins82 01-23-2013 05:30 PM

Hoarder so far...

Texxxx 01-23-2013 05:49 PM

I guess I am a hybrid. I am a Hobby Investor until the card is in my hands then I become a Hoarder.

margoaepi 01-23-2013 05:57 PM

Hoarder and a drifter w/o the selling tendencies.

frankbmd 01-23-2013 08:24 PM

Condition, Condition, Conditon

The prudent addition of categories may be required from time to time. By popular demand two have been added for condition sensitive collectors.
Will we soon see our first Elite Flipper?

TNP777 01-23-2013 08:40 PM

I guess I'll be the first confirmed Bottom Feeder, although I don't fill binder spots very fast any more. I will disagree with the sentiment that nobody would be proud of a Bottom Feeder's sets - a great many collectors have a great fondness for well-loved cards!