Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Non-paying bidder on Ebay (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=137286)

John V 05-25-2011 04:57 AM

Non-paying bidder on Ebay

I've never had this happen before. How long do you wait for payment when the buyer's feedback is 2623 at 100%. So far he's sent 1 message that he would pay today, which was 2 days ago. This was after I sent a friendly message asking him when he was going to send payment.
I sent another message yesterday, asking if he needed more time. Still nothing.
Should I call him?

Shoeless Moe 05-25-2011 05:00 AM

just open a non paying case on the item, that usually gets the buyer to act.

53Browns 05-25-2011 05:28 AM

Give him a time ultimatum. "If I don't receive payment with the next 48 hours, I will open a non-payment issue with Ebay." That should work, and if he doesnt pay within that time, you at least gave him fair warning of your intentions.

ChiefBenderForever 05-25-2011 05:53 AM

I would wait a couple more days and then send a message saying you haven't heard from him and just checking in. I've been waiting a month on a payment and took two emails before I finally heard back with a promise to pay saying something came up and would pay soon. It is happening more and more and nothing you can do except be happy for all those that pay within a week. I'm sure you will get paid soon.

D. Bergin 05-25-2011 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe (Post 896548)
just open a non paying case on the item, that usually gets the buyer to act.

This.

I usually wait a couple weeks or even more but that usually gets them going. I even have a couple regulars who don't pay UNTIL I open a non paying case. Pain in the butt but they eventually do pay, so I don't block them.

I usually still have about a dozen non-paying auctions a year.

Used to be only 1 or 2, before Ebay decided buyers couldn't get negged for any reason whatsoever.

barrysloate 05-25-2011 07:22 AM

Based on his feedback I would feel pretty confident he will pay. Maybe there is something going on in his life at the moment.

Jewish-collector 05-25-2011 07:37 AM

I emailed a buyer twice a week for about a month. Then I opened a non-paying case and the buyer payed within the four days. Why doesn't the buyer pay on their own ? Why do you have to open a non-paying case to get them to pay ? :confused:

slidekellyslide 05-25-2011 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D. Bergin (Post 896564)
This.

I usually wait a couple weeks or even more but that usually gets them going. I even have a couple regulars who don't pay UNTIL I open a non paying case. Pain in the butt but they eventually do pay, so I don't block them.

I usually still have about a dozen non-paying auctions a year.

Used to be only 1 or 2, before Ebay decided buyers couldn't get negged for any reason whatsoever.

This is true...I just had a non-paying bidder and I can't leave any type of feedback for them because I closed my case against them after they never paid so I could get my listing fees back. How is that even fair? Now I have to see that stupid auction at the top of my "Leave feedback" page for what? 90 days??

Bill Stone 05-25-2011 08:09 AM

We are expecting severe weather the next few days - having been through a tornado before where the power was out for a week I would just be aware that even a good eBay buyer can have complications from time to time. Hope he pays soon --let us know !

Jaybird 05-25-2011 09:18 AM

I'd wait a bit more as well. Couple days then message again. And even one more time before you open the case. I'd rather be patient and kind so I avoid bad feedback and possible alienation of the buyer.

It's a buyer's world.

ibuysportsephemera 05-25-2011 09:51 AM

To me the most important piece of information is missing...how long ago did the item end? If the item ended a few days ago, I would say that you are being somewhat pushy.

I usually send and end of auction email and wait a week before following up. I would send a reminder on the 8th day and if no response at all submit a non paying bidder reminder at about the 12th to 14th day. 98% to 99% of the time the buyer pays within a day or 2 of the npb reminder.

With feedback of 2600+ at 100% I think that you are going to be fine.

Good luck.

Jeff

deadballera 05-25-2011 09:57 AM

I follow Jeff's parameters ..

I will send an email around the 6th day..just a reminder that I have the package ready to be shipped, and asking for a payment update

egbeachley 05-25-2011 10:26 AM

Don't forget that Ebay is also sending automatic reminders. I'd give a few more days.

Jacklitsch 05-25-2011 10:34 AM

Its probably because he's broke after winning all of TBOB's 1911 zeenut auctions. ;)

DICKTOWLE 05-25-2011 11:00 AM

Non payer on ebay

Big deal, ebay sends a note- customer still wont pay, seller is out the funds, and the dead beat buyer can still move on without a negitive comment. Nice going flea bay- had one 3 weeks ago

John V 05-25-2011 11:09 AM

Purchase was Friday morning, May 20th. Granted, only a few days in the big scheme. I guess the fast payers have me spoiled, so to hear what you guys have to say is reassuring.