Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Cracked bat handles and values (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=336862)

ruth-gehrig 06-20-2023 04:33 PM

Cracked bat handles and values

Curious what others opinions are on this...
Does a cracked handle in any way affect what you would pay or believe a bat to be worth? This could apply to professional bats or just any bat you're interested in buying. Maybe on a rare bat it wouldn't matter as much if any at all?? Do you view a crack as damage or a desirable trait??
Thanks all,
Michael

bnorth 06-20-2023 04:38 PM

On regular gamers or player issued bats they are worth less to me. I pay at most 75% of what I would pay for an uncracked bat. Now if it is a truly rare bat I am just happy to have it at whatever price I can get it for.

Scott Garner 06-20-2023 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 2349294)
On regular gamers or player issued bats they are worth less to me. I pay at most 75% of what I would pay for an uncracked bat. Now if it is a truly rare bat I am just happy to have it at whatever price I can get it for.

Hi Ben,
That's great feedback.
I may not be the extreme bat collector that some of the board members are, but I do own 30-40 bats. I've always felt indifferent about cracked handle or not. Cracked bats offer the true reason that they were "retired" which is part of usual game use, FWIW...

That being said, I too would ideally like an uncracked bat, but the players that I collect are not HOF'ers and bats of many of them are scarce, or nearly impossible to find. :eek:

One additional question for you:
How do you feel about repairing cracked handles? To date, I have never done this, although I have considered doing this with a couple of my bats.
Does this enhance value in your mind, or detract?

Thanks in advance for your response! ;):)

Kzoo 06-20-2023 06:12 PM

I don't mind a cracked handle on a game used bat, but it needs to have pretty solid to heavy game use. A cracked handle on a gamer with only 1 ball mark is not very desirable to me. I prefer early 20th century store model bats to be uncracked with less use.

bnorth 06-20-2023 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Garner (Post 2349322)
Hi Ben,
That's great feedback.
I may not be the extreme bat collector that some of the board members are, but I do own 30-40 bats. I've always felt indifferent about cracked handle or not. Cracked bats offer the true reason that they were "retired" which is part of usual game use, FWIW...

That being said, I too would ideally like an uncracked bat, but the players that I collect are not HOF'ers and bats of many of them are scarce, or nearly impossible to find. :eek:

One additional question for you:
How do you feel about repairing cracked handles? To date, I have never done this, although I have considered doing this with a couple of my bats.
Does this enhance value in your mind, or detract?

Thanks in advance for your response! ;):)

It really depends on the quality of the repair on value. I have glued and clamped one before. It turned out way better than it was but far from perfect. On a Eddie Mathews Spline bat I covered up the break and ugly repair it had when I got it by taping the handle.

sicollector1954 06-20-2023 06:42 PM

Cracked bats

If it is a HOFers bat---obviously you want it done right. But you also need to consider the time frame involved for getting the bat done and back in your hands as well as the risks of shipping and cost for the repair work. I was informed this past week my bat is now being worked on that I sent to be repaired last August. Also, bats heading to auctions around the country and needing restoration take priority over little guys like me.

Mark 06-20-2023 07:04 PM

It is not a factor when I decide whether to buy a bat.

Bugsy 06-20-2023 07:15 PM

I prefer cracked bats if they are game used. From my perspective, if a player really loves a bat and it feels good in their hands, they're not going to just stop using it and give it away. It comes out of circulation when the bat either breaks or it wears out from a lot of grain separation. I'm sure it depends on the player, but a lot of uncracked ones could also be B.P. bats. And a cracked bat is a little tougher to doctor over an uncracked one. I just think it potentially helps with provenance.

perezfan 06-20-2023 07:32 PM

If you are talking antique bats or "type" bats (i.e. Mushroom Bats, Double-knob, Ball Balanced, Ring Bats, Decal Bats, Zebra Striped, etc.) then a crack can destroy the appearance and subsequently the value.

If you are talking game-used, then the crack can actually add to the bat's provenance. I personally like cracked G/U Bats, as long as they are still solid and intact. I don't like it if there's a chunk of wood dangling or missing or if it's an obvious or poorly done repair job.

MCyganik 06-20-2023 08:18 PM

Cracked vs uncracked doesn’t bother me as long as it presents well for display. I won’t buy a bat if the identifying features such as the barrel or name branding are significantly compromised with cracks or broken pieces. But on the flip side I’ve been able to get some deals on bats with significant cracks along the handle that, displayed in the right way, look unnoticeable.

RCMcKenzie 06-20-2023 08:45 PM

I have about 15 game used bats from the 1920's-1970's and they are all cracked. As noted above, it adds a story as to how it made it to my collection.

Mark17 06-20-2023 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugsy (Post 2349341)
I prefer cracked bats if they are game used. From my perspective, if a player really loves a bat and it feels good in their hands, they're not going to just stop using it and give it away. It comes out of circulation when the bat either breaks or it wears out from a lot of grain separation. I'm sure it depends on the player, but a lot of uncracked ones could also be B.P. bats. And a cracked bat is a little tougher to doctor over an uncracked one. I just think it potentially helps with provenance.

This. With any GU item, the important thing is evidence of game use. Why would a player stop using a bat before it's unusable? Ball marks, stitch marks, handle and/or barrel scoring, name or other identifier on the knob, grip tape, pine tar, and the crack that made the player finally stop using it, are all desirable use characteristics to me. They all give the bat character.

ooo-ribay 06-21-2023 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugsy (Post 2349341)

I also agree with this. I collect SF Giants and, with the exception of late career Bonds’, no player was really in the business of retiring bats early for resale. In later times, I think this was pretty common practice with guys like McGwire, Sosa, A-Rod, Jeter, etc. I don’t like that. I want well used, well loved gamers.

SyrNy1960 06-21-2023 06:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I prefer heavily game used bats as is. PSA took off .5 for the crack on my Arod 1st Career Grand Slam Bat. I disagree, as the crack is part of its natural use.

ooo-ribay 06-21-2023 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3arod13 (Post 2349431)
I prefer heavily game used bats as is. PSA took off .5 for the crack on my Arod 1st Career Grand Slam Bat. I disagree, as the crack is part of its natural use.

What does PSA know?

Mark17 06-21-2023 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 2349536)
What does PSA know?

Taube is great when it comes to authentication, but less so on "grading." Pine tar, ball and stitch marks, etc. are considered desirable use characteristics, but a crack isn't? Makes no sense.

SyrNy1960 06-21-2023 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark17 (Post 2349538)
Taube is great when it comes to authentication, but less so on "grading." Pine tar, ball and stitch marks, etc. are considered desirable use characteristics, but a crack isn't? Makes no sense.

Agree! A bat with minimal use, un-cracked, is a PSA 10. A pounded bat, with a hairline crack, isn’t. A bat used over many games can easily crack at some point. It should be considered in the grading, not taken away.

icollectDCsports 06-21-2023 05:10 PM

To me, it depends on the severity of the crack and how I subjectively judge the impact on visual appeal. Ideally, a game used bat shows obvious and significant use without a crack but sometimes a crack to some degree is a part of the evidence of use.

Scott Garner 06-21-2023 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3arod13 (Post 2349545)
Agree! A bat with minimal use, un-cracked, is a PSA 10. A pounded bat, with a hairline crack, isn’t. A bat used over many games can easily crack at some point. It should be considered in the grading, not taken away.

I agree with this Tony, FWIW ;)

SyrNy1960 06-21-2023 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Garner (Post 2349624)
I agree with this Tony, FWIW ;)

Scott,

It’s Worth a Million Bucks 🤑🤑🤑

Tony

Bpm0014 06-22-2023 01:16 PM

I also agree with this. I collect SF Giants and, with the exception of late career Bonds’, no player was really in the business of retiring bats early for resale. In later times, I think this was pretty common practice with guys like McGwire, Sosa, A-Rod, Jeter, etc. I don’t like that. I want well used, well loved gamers.

I have a cracked Mays gamer that I've been debating having fixed....

ooo-ribay 06-22-2023 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark17 (Post 2349538)

I have no problem with Taube….and no use for PSA.

SyrNy1960 06-22-2023 04:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bpm0014 (Post 2349849)

I have a cracked Mays gamer that I've been debating having fixed....

Every thread deserves a well used, well loved gamer.

Scott Garner 06-22-2023 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3arod13 (Post 2349896)
Every thread deserves a well used, well loved gamer.

That ARod bat is a sick gamer, Tony! ;)
GREAT BAT!
It's an 11 in my book

SyrNy1960 06-22-2023 05:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Garner (Post 2349920)
That ARod bat is a sick gamer, Tony! ;)
GREAT BAT!
It's an 11 in my book

Scott,

Thanks! This makes it a 12 😁

Tony

MVSNYC 06-26-2023 11:56 PM

I have a few major bats that have cracks which were professionally repaired. One of which is graded a 10. I've also owned some bats with un-repaired cracks...I definitely prefer the restored ones, and they must be documented in the PSA/DNA LOA.

PS- I've always found Taube to be great, super knowledgable, and a pleasure to deal with.

steve B 06-29-2023 08:28 AM

I only have I think 4 game used bats, at least two are cracked, and I probably wouldn't have them if they weren't. They wouldn't have been available, or would have been too expensive.

SyrNy1960 06-29-2023 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MVSNYC (Post 2351108)
I have a few major bats that have cracks which were professionally repaired. One of which is graded a 10. I've also owned some bats with un-repaired cracks...I definitely prefer the restored ones, and they must be documented in the PSA/DNA LOA.

PS- I've always found Taube to be great, super knowledgable, and a pleasure to deal with.

Myself, I would never have my bat repaired for a hairline crack, just to gain a PSA 10 grade, as the crack is part of the use. However, I can see why some would repair a bat, especially if it was broken in two.

Agree, John Taube is super knowledgeable and a great guy to deal with!

MVSNYC 06-29-2023 09:17 PM

Hi Tony, it was more than a hairline crack, as I saw before photos. I bought it Restored from John Taube, it was already graded a 10. The bat is absolutely hammered. Incredible use.

Unlike cards, the more beat up, and the more use a bat has, the higher the grade. When grading bats, John is looking at use, wear & tear, a lot of use, and how certain he can put the bat in the player’s hands- based on photomatching, player ordering records, and player use characteristics.

SyrNy1960 06-30-2023 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MVSNYC (Post 2351891)
Hi Tony, it was more than a hairline crack, as I saw before photos. I bought it Restored from John Taube, it was already graded a 10. The bat is absolutely hammered. Incredible use.

Unlike cards, the more beat up, and the more use a bat has, the higher the grade. When grading bats, John is looking at use, wear & tear, a lot of use, and how certain he can put the bat in the player’s hands- based on photomatching, player ordering records, and player use characteristics.

Would love to see your bat. Enjoy seeing well-used, hammered bats!

MVSNYC 06-30-2023 10:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Circa 1996 Game Used (and signed) Jeter Rookie Bat. These photos were taken prior to the crack repair.

SyrNy1960 07-01-2023 03:41 AM

Wow! Great bat! Love well-used, pounded bats!

SyrNy1960 07-01-2023 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MVSNYC (Post 2352188)
Circa 1996 Game Used (and signed) Jeter Rookie Bat. These photos were taken prior to the crack repair.

How was the bat repaired? Glue? Screws? Thanks!

MVSNYC 07-01-2023 10:24 AM

Thanks! I believe just glue, John's restorer is an absolute artist. The repair is fully documented in the LOA, as it should be. If you want to discuss further, shoot me a PM.