Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Amazing shoeless joe jackson panorama military photo (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=190385)

EVAJOY91 07-04-2014 12:55 PM

Amazing shoeless joe jackson panorama military photo

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 151387Just purchased. Originally owned by barry halper. Dec, 1918.
Jackson in full military uniform. Truly amazing.

irishdenny 07-04-2014 02:24 PM

Yes, Truly Brilliant ~ Congratulations...

Them Southern Boys Always bundle uP when they hit that brutal North East cold air... Jackson looks pretty comfortable & content.

Horsehide Historian 07-06-2014 04:42 PM

Is that him top row in the center? Amazing acquisition!

toppcat 07-07-2014 05:20 AM

The Jackson connection is great but that is a super nice item all by itself!

pbspelly 07-07-2014 08:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I love those old panoramic pictures. The cameras actually panned from one side to the other. It would take 30 or 40 seconds to complete the pan, and the folks sitting for the picture were supposed to stay still until it stopped turning. But sometimes people on one side would wait until the camera panned past them and then get up and run around the back of the camera and get in place on the other side before the pan made it there. So they would appear on both sides in the same picture.

My grandfather is fourth from the right in this shot.

jerseygary 07-07-2014 12:06 PM

I'm not a Shoeless Joe expert by any stretch, but didn't he avoid serving in the war by leaving the White Sox a few weeks into the 1918 season and getting employed at Bethlehem Steel shipyards in Wilmington, Delaware? I recall reading that Comiskey had some very choice words to say about what he felt was Jackson avoiding the draft by playing ball for Bethlehem Steel under the ruse of a war-production job. The Chicago sportswriters really let Jackson have it as well.

Did he join the Army at the tail end of the war? I'm curious what the story is behind the picture.

ZachS 07-07-2014 12:40 PM

That's an awesome photo! In addition to baseball I also collect vintage military stuff so this is right up my alley.

Ladder7 07-07-2014 01:21 PM

Kinda looks like him. But, always thought he burned his draft card? Weird

Dto7 07-07-2014 01:49 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The 1917 Chicago White Sox in military uniforms just for show from The Chicago Daily News archives. Joe Jackson 3rd from left in front.

drcy 07-16-2014 11:30 AM

I have my paternal grandfather's original WWI ship's crew panorama photo from when he served in the Navy. Also have his victory medal.

EVAJOY91 07-16-2014 09:46 PM

Love your panoramic photo

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbspelly (Post 1294944)
i love those old panoramic pictures. The cameras actually panned from one side to the other. It would take 30 or 40 seconds to complete the pan, and the folks sitting for the picture were supposed to stay still until it stopped turning. But sometimes people on one side would wait until the camera panned past them and then get up and run around the back of the camera and get in place on the other side before the pan made it there. So they would appear on both sides in the same picture.

My grandfather is fourth from the right in this shot.

you also have a great panoramic photo of the cleveland team with shoeless joe jackson. How long have you owned it?

pbspelly 07-17-2014 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EVAJOY91 (Post 1298793)
you also have a great panoramic photo of the cleveland team with shoeless joe jackson. How long have you owned it?

I don't own an original. I got a negative copy made from the original negative that resides in the Library of Congress's collection and had it turned into a print. You can order these from the LOC. Much better quality than reprints made from prints. But they're still reprints.

markf31 07-17-2014 09:09 AM

Everything I've read about Joe details that he did successfully avoid military service. Joe passed his medical exam to be drafted and shortly thereafter found the aforementioned job at Bethlehem Steel.

Could this be another Joe Jackson perhaps, It does not seem that Joe Jackson would be an uncommon name.

glchen 09-14-2014 12:35 AM

Was it confirmed that really is Joe Jackson in the photo? It is now in the upcoming H&S auction: Link

benchod 09-14-2014 07:39 AM

Classic ;)

Tao_Moko 09-14-2014 01:21 PM

The auction write up says that he was summoned for "WWII". I am confused.

Nashvol 09-14-2014 07:39 PM

Joe Jackson, SABR Biography

Excerpt:

"Several Chicago players enlisted in the military, while others were drafted in the early months of 1918. Joe, as a married man, was granted a deferment by his hometown draft board in Greenville, South Carolina, but after Jackson played 17 games with the White Sox the board reversed its decision and ordered him to report for induction. Instead, Jackson found employment at a Delaware shipyard, where he helped build battleships and played ball in a hastily assembled factory circuit, the Bethlehem Steel League. Jackson was the first prominent player to avoid the draft by opting for war work, for which he was severely criticized in the sporting press, especially in Chicago. He won the factory league batting title with a .371 average, but the controversy permanently damaged his relationships with the Chicago sportswriters.."

The complete bio is here: http://sabr.org/bioproj/person/7afaa6b2

lloydchristmas 09-14-2014 08:37 PM

What an amazing piece, I would love to own this if you ever decide to part ways with it.

I spent a majority of my military career at Ft. Meade and those buildings are still there (but not in use).

the 'stache 09-15-2014 02:15 AM

What an exquisite piece!

Lordstan 09-15-2014 07:03 PM

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...90#post1322490

Bicem 09-15-2014 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lloydchristmas (Post 1322075)
What an amazing piece, I would love to own this if you ever decide to part ways with it.

It's in the next Huggins auction.

bmarlowe1 09-15-2014 11:42 PM

Not Jackson - see thread on other side.

egbeachley 09-16-2014 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lloydchristmas (Post 1322075)

I spent a majority of my military career at Ft. Meade and those buildings are still there (but not in use).

It is a spectacular military photograph. Just don't pay extra expecting Joe Jackson to be on it....it's not him. (Wrong ears in several places, no dip to nose, chin dimple wrong, etc.)

Jay Wolt 09-16-2014 07:11 AM

The starting bid w/ H&S is $2500 + buyers premium & shipping.