Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   RIP Chandy Greenholt (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=334009)

polakoff 04-10-2023 09:45 AM

RIP Chandy Greenholt

Hearing that my favorite dealer of all time, Chandy Greenholt, has passed away.

bbcard1 04-10-2023 09:53 AM

Oh, dear heavens. Chandy was an amazing man. Loved the guy.

Jay Wolt 04-10-2023 10:00 AM

Sorry to hear this
https://library.oldbaseball.com/imag.../Greenholt.jpg

polakoff 04-10-2023 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbcard1 (Post 2330933)
Oh, dear heavens. Chandy was an amazing man. Loved the guy.

He really was. I learned so much from him about the hobby and about being a dealer. Loved talking with him as much as I loved rummaging through his boxes to find treasures.

rand1com 04-10-2023 10:36 AM

Chandy was one of the nicest dealers you could ever meet. Met him about 30 years ago at a mall show at Carowinds in Charlotte.

He was extremely knowledgeable of the toughest cards you never see.

In Chantilly, when I used to set up there were collectors who would spend the entire day at his tables never checking anyone else out. They would be lined up to get a spot to look. I could have had the same material on my tables at the same prices and no one would ever look.

A good and honest family man will be missed by all.

Prayers for his family at this tough time.

polakoff 04-10-2023 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rand1com (Post 2330949)
Chandy was one of the nicest dealers you could ever meet. Met him about 30 years ago at a mall show at Carowinds in Charlotte.

He was extremely knowledgeable of the toughest cards you never see.

In Chantilly, when I used to set up there were collectors who would spend the entire day at his tables never checking anyone else out. They would be lined up to get a spot to look. I could have had the same material on my tables at the same prices and no one would ever look.

A good and honest family man will be missed by all.

Prayers for his family at this tough time.

When I used to set up as a dealer in Raleigh I was known for spending more time at his table than my own. A true treat.

Gradedcardman 04-10-2023 11:04 AM

Mentor

I met Chandy almost 50 years ago. He was always the nicest and most knowledgeable person at a show. He will be missed.

Exhibitman 04-10-2023 11:08 AM

Oh my, such awful news. Chandy was one of my favorite visits at the National and to deal with throughout the year. Just a lovely man. I sure will miss him. RIP.

NiceDocter 04-10-2023 11:42 AM

Chandy

Oh man ….. another of the old time greats is gone. Let’s all remember him in the spirit of freely sharing knowledge with fairness and patience to each other. RIP Mr Greenholt and thanks for the memories! Rocky

Mark17 04-10-2023 01:01 PM

I dealt with Chandy a few times back in the early 1980s over the phone. For some reason I thought he was a young guy back then. He sounded that way. The deal I recall is when I sold him a stack of about 25 or 30 1965 Catfish Hunter rookies. I told him they were near mint to mint. He asked me to be more specific on the condition, and I said, "I got them in a lot from Richard Gelman."

Chandy laughed, said "They're mint," and we made the deal. For some reason, of all the people I've dealt with, that always stuck in my mind as a fun conversation.

Brian Van Horn 04-10-2023 02:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
RIP to Chandy. One of three transactions I had with him.

LuckyLarry 04-10-2023 02:53 PM

Spent a lot of time going through Chandys stuff at the National. He will be missed.
Larry

TAFKADixie 04-10-2023 04:38 PM

He was always my first stop in Hickory. His bargain boxes were legendary. He will be missed! RIP

JimC 04-10-2023 05:03 PM

Good guy. Still have many cards I bought at his little shop here in town.

tombocombo 04-10-2023 05:17 PM

Good man

Lot of fun buying and selling with Chandy in Chantilly. Bless you sir.

brianp-beme 04-10-2023 05:49 PM

I never met Chandy in person, just purchased a handful of items from him on Ebay (always less commonly encountered cards). The eyes and smile on the photo posted earlier just calmly proclaim "Hello friend" and indicate a kind-hearted disposition. Definitely the type of person that humankind, not to mention vintagekind, should honor and hold in high esteem.

Brian

doug.goodman 04-10-2023 06:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Very sad news. I bought all kinds of stuff from him over the years, but my favorite was this 17.5 X 20 Johnny Antonelli Baseball Magazine m114 1957 poster.

Marckus99 04-10-2023 07:12 PM

Sad news. RIP.

taul166 04-10-2023 08:34 PM

He was set up at Chantilly just a week ago.

tschock 04-11-2023 04:08 AM

I've known Chandy for over 20 years. I just talked with him this past weekend at the show in Winston-Salem and still can't believe it. Words can't describe what a warm and wonderful man he was. His bargain boxes and tubs of 'everything under the sun' were legendary. He will be missed.

jchcollins 04-11-2023 06:26 AM

Wow, very sorry to hear this.

Chandy grew up with my mother in Hickory, NC and was an alum of my alma mater there, Lenoir-Rhyne College (now University). Somewhere in my family's papers, I have a letter from Chandy's parents to my grandparents from the 1950's or early 60's on college stationary. His father was a longtime professor there, as was my great-grandfather. Chandy was something of a math prodigy I believe, before becoming one of the early dealers in the hobby.

When I moved to Winston-Salem, NC in 2000, I quickly discovered "Season Ticket" - Chandy's shop off of Peters Creek Parkway. Many wonderful deals were had on vintage cards there over the years before he finally closed down the physical shop some time back. Some of my fondest hobby memories.

RIP Chandy...

Exhibitman 04-11-2023 03:55 PM

How about each of us post something we got from Chandy? I will start with some OPCs:

https://photos.imageevent.com/exhibi...C%20Morgan.jpg
https://photos.imageevent.com/exhibi...PC%20Brock.jpg
https://photos.imageevent.com/exhibi...astrzemski.jpg

polakoff 04-11-2023 06:13 PM

I don’t have it handy (it’s in a box at the top of my closet), but I bought a 1950s Dodgers scrapbook with a ton of clippings of Snider and Koufax (my two main PCs) from him for $10. “It’s probably only worth that to the right person,” he said to me when I asked about the price.

rand1com 04-11-2023 07:41 PM

I bought a lot of neat items from Chandy.

As I am mostly a reseller, I no longer have any of these or pictures of them but these were my top buys.

1. 1930's autograph book with about 250 autos including a single signed Babe Ruth page along with team sheets from most major league teams including Pirates with Wagner. Purchased for $1000 about 20 years ago.
2. 1962 Salada 200 coin set in original box. NM Purchased for $1000 also 20 years or so ago.
3. 1953 and 1954 Topps empty 1 cent boxes in EX Condition. Purchased for $350 for the pair again many years ago.

These 3 items stick out in my mind as the best purchases I got from him but I bought many bulk deals from him over the years as well.

Special guy who I have not seen in a few years but was truly a nice man who will be missed for more than just his collectibles. He always spoke highly of his two daughters and wife and was proud of his family.

Prayers for them during this trying time.

timn1 04-11-2023 10:52 PM

very sad news

He did seem to be aging noticeably over the past few years - yet I always thought of him as a young and enthusiastic guy - he will definitely be missed in the hobby.

Leon 04-12-2023 06:54 AM

Chandy was a great dealer and a very nice person. I bought many unique and neat cards from him over the years. RIP Chandy....the hobby will miss you.

mrreality68 04-12-2023 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 2331370)
Chandy was a great dealer and a very nice person. I bought many unique and neat cards from him over the years. RIP Chandy....the hobby will miss you.

Well said

Rest In Peace

Prayers with the family

Rich Klein 04-12-2023 07:43 AM

Chandy was that rare person in the hobby, knowledgeable, respectful, and willing to help all collectors.

Dr. Beckett and I taped a tribute to Chandy for his podcast yesterday.

And from reading these comments and other comments I knew from over the years that he always had time to contribute to the hobby, he will be missed.

May his memory be for a blessing

Rich

kaddyshack 04-12-2023 08:10 AM

Chandy was a great guy. I bought many publications from him over the 30 plus years that I've known him.

R.I.P.

Hankphenom 04-12-2023 08:19 AM

Don't think I ever had any dealings with Chandy, but he was probably set up at every show I ever did over a couple of decades, and I always enjoyed seeing the crowds going through his many boxes of raw material. A real throwback to the old days, and nobody will replace him. I know it's a process, not a revolution, but it's hard for me not to see the passing from shows of Bill Huggins and Chandy so close together as part of a generational turnover in the hobby, one I'm very saddened to see. RIP.

Treakle23 04-12-2023 09:09 PM

Great Guy

I bought many items over the years from Chandy on eBay. We would correspond and share our knowledge of photos and postcards. He was overly generous with his knowledge and took the time to email a complete and total stranger. The hobby lost a really good guy.

Exhibitman 04-13-2023 06:47 AM

Your post reminds me, Chandy sold me this Treakle photo too:

https://photos.imageevent.com/exhibi...%20Treakle.jpghttps://photos.imageevent.com/exhibi...%20Treakle.jpg

MBMiller25 04-13-2023 07:42 AM

I would see Chandy frequently at Hickory show. He was a wonderful man. RIP Chandy

Treakle23 04-13-2023 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 2331597)

I recall seeing this one for sale. It’s not a photo Brook Treakle took. Sometimes he would make copies of photos and make feints and postcards out of them. I believe he called them “copy negatives.”

Chandy will be missed.

srittenberg 04-22-2023 08:46 PM

RIP Chandy

I just learned about Chandy's passing tonight. He was such a wonderful person.

Steve Rittenberg

JCRedbird 04-23-2023 05:44 AM

Visited his shop many times. What a great guy. He loved sharing what he knew about the hobby...and he knew a lot! Spent many hours looking through his inventory which usually was in a wonderful mess! Loved it!