Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   OT: How often do you check your consignments? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=322712)

ocjack 07-27-2022 11:22 AM

OT: How often do you check your consignments?

Ok, so I have my first consignment with an AH. The auction is a 3-week auction. As a newbie, I find myself wanting to check the auction a few times a day. I know, in all liklihood, that most of the bidding will take place nearer the close of the auction.

So my question to you consigment-pro's is: how often do you check items you have up for auction? Am I the only one who checks in to the auction site frequently? Or is that just "normal?"

bnorth 07-27-2022 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ocjack (Post 2246287)
Ok, so I have my first consignment with an AH. The auction is a 3-week auction. As a newbie, I find myself wanting to check the auction a few times a day. I know, in all liklihood, that most of the bidding will take place nearer the close of the auction.

So my question to you consigment-pro's is: how often do you check items you have up for auction? Am I the only one who checks in to the auction site frequently? Or is that just "normal?"

Check on it like it owes me money so no you are not alone.:)

Snapolit1 07-27-2022 12:18 PM

Remember asking on the board in the past few years whether AHs could set something up where a consignor gets a text every time he gets a new bid. I think the response was that it wouldn't be impossible to do, but I can't think of an AH that provides that service. Would be awesome and a great time saver.

Based on my recent experience I'd say 75% or more of your bids are going to come in the first 48 hours and the last 48 hours. Unless it's an incredibly hot auction.

ValKehl 07-28-2022 10:13 PM

Reading Steve's post got me thinking. I suggest that auction houses send each consignor an email either daily or frequently showing the current bids for all of his/her consignments. Several auction houses currently send daily or frequent emails to each bidder, showing the current bids for all the items bid on and items being watched. For these auction houses, it would seem relatively easy to create something similar for consignors.

Snapolit1 07-29-2022 05:38 AM

Would he entirely automated. Really couldn’t be difficult to do n

bnorth 07-29-2022 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ValKehl (Post 2246812)
Reading Steve's post got me thinking. I suggest that auction houses send each consignor an email either daily or frequently showing the current bids for all of his/her consignments. Several auction houses currently send daily or frequent emails to each bidder, showing the current bids for all the items bid on and items being watched. For these auction houses, it would seem relatively easy to create something similar for consignors.

Yes more emails for the AHs is what we need.:rolleyes::D

mrreality68 07-29-2022 06:56 AM

Have not consigned in a while but when I did I checked daily and then on the final day it seemed every hour and in extended time I often just kept hitting refresh.

Like others says ideally it would be automatically sent to you just like when you are the bidders you get update emails, outbid emails and outbid text notifications

ullmandds 07-29-2022 06:59 AM

depends...typically I'll check often when the auction starts...then realizing most auctions have weeks to go before they conclude...I'll wait til towards the end.

t213 07-29-2022 11:53 AM

I have active consignments currently and I check daily.

Andy

ocjack 07-29-2022 12:19 PM

Thanks for making me feel "normal." Inherently, I know most bids will come in towards the end of the auction, but I can't resist checking it daily even though seeing "no" additional bids is disheartening. lol

Aaron Seefeldt 07-29-2022 12:24 PM

Consignments

Auction Houses, I would think, will always make us log in to their sites to check consignments because when we’re logged in there’s a chance we’ll place a bid or two…

I’m a frequent consignor and I usually check the action daily

ValKehl 07-29-2022 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 2246861)
Yes more emails for the AHs is what we need.:rolleyes::D

Ben, I assumed that auction houses that implement this should give its consignors the option of not receiving these email updates re their consignments.

Lorewalker 07-29-2022 02:54 PM

I check at the start to make sure everything is listed and described accurately and then not until it is over.

1952boyntoncollector 07-29-2022 03:21 PM

well the shill billers are getting emails to their addresses whether they high bid or still not the high bid..problem solved:cool:

ocjack 08-02-2022 02:44 PM

Well, after a flurry of bids when the auction opened, nothing for a week. Was starting to get nervous. But then today, a week later, another flurry of bids. Feeling better. Two more weeks to go. I don't know how those of you that do auctions frequently don't have a drinking problem. :eek:

Aquarian Sports Cards 08-03-2022 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ValKehl (Post 2246812)

But it would be inaccurate pretty quickly. Isn't it easier to just log into your account and click "consignments" and view in real time?

ValKehl 08-03-2022 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 2248600)
But it would be inaccurate pretty quickly. Isn't it easier to just log into your account and click "consignments" and view in real time?

I would expect the email from an auction house to contain a link to enable the consignor to check the bids on his consignments in real time, if the consignor so desires.

Aquarian Sports Cards 08-03-2022 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ValKehl (Post 2248754)
I would expect the email from an auction house to contain a link to enable the consignor to check the bids on his consignments in real time, if the consignor so desires.

I assume most auctions already have that link for their consignors. I instruct most, if not all, of my consignors on how to check their consignments in real time. All they have to do is log in and click their account and choose consignments and voila they are looking at only their items, only in the current auction, in real time. I have no problem with the idea I guess. It just seems like an email is superfluous.

ocjack 08-24-2022 12:13 PM

So, another question to the experienced consignors: Does the AH notify consignors that their item(s) have sold, or do they just assume consignors have followed their items? And, is speed of payment primarily a function of how fast the winning bidder pays?

Sorry if these are basic questions. And thanks.

Yoda 08-24-2022 12:27 PM

Often.

Republicaninmass 08-24-2022 12:30 PM

Brb

Need to check again.

That often

Shoeless Moe 08-24-2022 01:30 PM

Consignment Checks usually come between 3 weeks to 8 weeks after the auction ends.

REA is the quickest
Heritage is the slowest (but if you know that going in and have patience - which I don't - then you are fine there)

LOTG - Goldin - Lelands - MEARS - Huggins & Scott - SCP - all usually 4-6 weeks after their auction ends.

ocjack 08-25-2022 01:50 PM

REA is quick. I should have waited a day before asking my question. :)

Check received today - 11 days from close of auction. I'm no longer an AH virgin!

And I did appreciate all the responses to make me feel like I wasn't the only one with OCAWS. (obsessive compulsive auction watching syndrome.)