Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   It has been decided (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=145391)

bn2cardz 12-27-2011 08:09 PM

It has been decided

I have not had an SGC graded card in my collection since I have been married (3years). I have GAI, CTA, BGS, BVG and PSA. I recently had some Old Judge cards graded by SGC. They arrived today I opened them up and had them sitting on the dining room table when my daughter took my attention away.

My wife walked in and I heard her say "I like these cases better than those other ones" I turned to see that she was looking at the SGC cards. I asked why she said that. Her response was that she thought they looked nicer due to the insert. I showed her that the GAI had an insert but she just shrugged it off. I brought her a PSA graded t206 (I don't have a PSA Old Judge and thought the t206 was similar enough in size for comparison) she took it from me and looked at it and then picked up the SGC and looked at it and said definitively "This one is just better".

So there you have it. A non biased decision made about a grading company not based on grading scale or which case can be tampered with easier or even which company has the better resell power, but rather the appearance the case adds to the card.

BCauley 12-27-2011 08:17 PM

That's the one big reason I go with SGC is because of the way the cards are presented in the holder.

marvjung 12-27-2011 08:20 PM

Agreed, 100% - I have purchased a few cards in PSA and GAI holders, but will crack those out soon and sent to SGC.

SGC overall I feel is better suited for the type of cards we collect and quite frankly, they look sexier against the black. :cool:

In fact, I sent over a few today to get graded - will post when I get them back - super stoked!

kmac32 12-27-2011 08:30 PM

SGC all the way

Moonlight Graham 12-28-2011 10:01 AM

I like SGC too but sometimes there is a smudge or fingerprint on the inside of the case ans it really shows against the black insert.

bn2cardz 12-28-2011 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moonlight Graham (Post 950725)
I like SGC too but sometimes there is a smudge or fingerprint on the inside of the case ans it really shows against the black insert.

I have only had a handful of cards graded by them, but I have never had that. That would be very annoying. I like all the cases, I think they display the cards nice. I have never bought a graded card, yet I have a several. I like buying raw and being the first to get it graded. Sure I don't always agree with the grade, but I like the cases. So if I was to get one back with a finger print in there I would be annoyed about as much as I am when I get grade lower than I expected.

Moonlight Graham 12-28-2011 10:14 AM

I find that I really only buy graded cards because all of the work is done for me (I'm lazy:D) but there are times when i get the card and i notice the problems with the various holders-smudges with SGC/small cracks with PSA/and scratched slabs with Beckett-then I have to send them in anyway to get them reholdered. I really like the clam shell cases made by Ultra Pro that hold PSA and Beckett graded cards-I wish they would make them for SGC too.

Vol 12-28-2011 10:18 AM

S g c

Quote:

Originally Posted by marvjung (Post 950606)
SGC overall I feel is better suited for the type of cards we collect and quite frankly, they look sexier against the black. :cool:

+1

I dont even think it is close which one looks better. Not even in the same ballpark.

Andy, nice post of an unbiased perspective. Just solely off the looks..