Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   1980 & Newer Sports Cards B/S/T (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Need help with 1991 topps desert shield (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=272427)

Jakrauss44 08-16-2019 10:34 AM

Need help with 1991 topps desert shield

5 Attachment(s)
Hey guys need some help with the 91 topps desert shield set. My cousin just inherited a bunch of stuff from his great uncle. One of the things was 21 packs of what appeared to be 1991 topps baseball. We figured we would open them as we didn’t think they had much value. To our surprise they were actually 1991 topps desert shield and not regular topps. Now I had posted in the pre war thread about one of the cards which was a babe Ruth sporting news rookie that ended up being fake, therefore my concern is these desert shield cards are fake as well. Out of the 21 packs total we have opened 19 so far. We pulled 4 chippers and was hoping everyone that knows anything about the set to give input as what to check for and all that. I’m trying to attach pics but it keeps telling me file failed no matter which way I try or how many different pics I take so I’ll try to get those up. In the mean time if theirs anything I can look for to distinguish let me know, thanks

Elberson 08-16-2019 01:12 PM

If they are real chippers desert shields, you hit the jackpot, I would personally send them to psa for grading. If you sell, you’ll get more with psa than any other company.

Jakrauss44 08-16-2019 01:29 PM

Yeah I was planning on that, I’m also gonna try to start building a set bc I have access to a bunch of filler cards and standard stars from the set. I just don’t wanna spend the 75 to 100 bucks per card for psa to grade if there not legit. They appear authentic and feel authentic but didn’t know if there was anything specifically identifying other than the shield that I can check.

bnorth 08-16-2019 01:35 PM

Post the best pic you can of just the foil stamps of all 4 cards. It might also help if you post in the correct section. This one is for selling. Maybe PM Leon and ask him to move it for you.

EDIT: Also if you could take the pics with the foil stamp out of the sleeve/holder it would really help. I do see a problem with them but would like to see better pictures.

Jim65 08-16-2019 04:28 PM

They look genuine

Check out this thread
http://net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=209297

Nunzio11 08-16-2019 06:10 PM

it’s very hard to tell from the scans. I do have a couple graded Desert Shields but I’m no expert on this issue. A couple things stand out to me about the story. First, Desert Shield packs were non descriptive so the fact you had 21 of them is telling. They were all just normal 1991 packs correct? Second out of a 792 card set the fact you pulled 4 of the most expensive card from 19 random packs is like hitting the jackpot. There are definitely more experienced guys on this set on the board so I hope they weigh and and I hope I’m wrong.

Jakrauss44 08-17-2019 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nunzio11 (Post 1908995)
it’s very hard to tell from the scans. I do have a couple graded Desert Shields but I’m no expert on this issue. A couple things stand out to me about the story. First, Desert Shield packs were non descriptive so the fact you had 21 of them is telling. They were all just normal 1991 packs correct? Second out of a 792 card set the fact you pulled 4 of the most expensive card from 19 random packs is like hitting the jackpot. There are definitely more experienced guys on this set on the board so I hope they weigh and and I hope I’m wrong.

Yes all the packs were non descriptive that’s why we opened them as we thought they were regular topps, with which they would of Been inexpensive.

Jakrauss44 08-17-2019 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1908930)
Post the best pic you can of just the foil stamps of all 4 cards. It might also help if you post in the correct section. This one is for selling. Maybe PM Leon and ask him to move it for you.

EDIT: Also if you could take the pics with the foil stamp out of the sleeve/holder it would really help. I do see a problem with them but would like to see better pictures.

I’ll post the pics later today, also I sent a pm to Leon to move this into the correct page. Thanks man

Jakrauss44 08-17-2019 04:21 PM

just wanted to let anyone who weighed in know that I moved the thread over to the proper location in the post 1980 forum. please go over to their and check out the pics I just posted of the logos and the glow back. thanks everyone