Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   BST procedural question (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=272328)

Scott L. 08-13-2019 10:08 AM

BST procedural question

Person says they'll take a card via post last night and asks for paypal address which is provided immediately via PM. $ not sent as of this moment. Another person, probably not seeing the prior post and not seeing the card marked sold says they'll take it as part of a larger purchase and pays (they know my address from prior purchases).

Realizing I probably should have marked it PENDING what would you do at this point. Give them until the end of the day to pay seem fair?

Peter_Spaeth 08-13-2019 10:13 AM

Yeah you should give him a reasonable time to complete the purchase.

Snapolit1 08-13-2019 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1908073)
Yeah you should give him a reasonable time to complete the purchase.

Agreed, but I share the frustration that sometimes seemingly highly motivated buyers are all worked up to get something and then you wait and wait for paypal payment. If you are sitting at computer when a deal is struck why not just pay up? This isn't a house or a car purchase. I doubt you need to liquidate a money market fund or anything.

I've had negotiations on ebay, 5 or 6 messages back and forth on bids, and then a deal And silence for 3 days. Over a card that costs less than $100.

Peter_Spaeth 08-13-2019 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 1908076)
Agreed, but I share the frustration that sometimes seemingly highly motivated buyers are all worked up to get something and then you wait and wait for paypal payment. If you are sitting at computer when a deal is struck why not just pay up? This isn't a house or a car purchase. I doubt you need to liquidate a money market fund or anything.

I've had negotiations on ebay, 5 or 6 messages back and forth on bids, and then a deal And silence for 3 days. Over a card that costs less than $100.

It hasn't happened to me, but a dealer friend frequently gets messages from winning bidders saying they're out of town and will pay when they get home. Uh, if they can access the internet to send the message, can't they access paypal to pay?

packs 08-13-2019 10:29 AM

I think giving somebody a few days to pay is more than reasonable. You'd think a buyer was a little trigger happy if they asked for a refund if they didn't have the card the next morning, wouldn't you?

steve B 08-13-2019 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1908083)
It hasn't happened to me, but a dealer friend frequently gets messages from winning bidders saying they're out of town and will pay when they get home. Uh, if they can access the internet to send the message, can't they access paypal to pay?

If it's over a publicly accessible open wi-fi, I probably wouldn't access paypal either.

And I've never done it from my phone.

Of course, if it was me, I'd simply have my wife do paypal from the phone, but that may not be an option for everyone.

Aquarian Sports Cards 08-13-2019 10:52 AM

Certainly would at least contact the original buyer before moving on.

mrdbrooks77 08-13-2019 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1908083)

I have been in canada a couple of times where my PayPal will not work period. I had to message them i will pay when I get back into the U.S. Its a 50/50 if it works when I am up there.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Scott L. 08-13-2019 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 1908092)
Certainly would at least contact the original buyer before moving on.

I absolutely will.

tothrk 08-13-2019 11:12 AM

Third party

If you sell the card to a third party, the first two will achieve the same outcome. Which is fair, I guess.

Mark17 08-13-2019 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott L. (Post 1908070)
Person says they'll take a card via post last night and asks for paypal address which is provided immediately via PM. $ not sent as of this moment. Another person, probably not seeing the prior post and not seeing the card marked sold says they'll take it as part of a larger purchase and pays (they know my address from prior purchases).

Realizing I probably should have marked it PENDING what would you do at this point. Give them until the end of the day to pay seem fair?

Yes, I think you should send them an email and give them until the end of the day.

They may have asked for your paypal address right before logging off for the evening (I have heard that some people don't live at their computers,) and are planning to pay this evening when they get home from work, or whatever their situation is. A buyer should have minimum 24 hours in which to send payment before anyone gets annoyed with them, I think.

Scott L. 08-13-2019 02:59 PM

All's well that ends well. Original buyer paid. I apologized to the second buyer and offered him $10 off my ask on any other card I had listed to try and make up for it which he accepted. We're all good!

Thanks for everyone's thoughts.

bnorth 08-13-2019 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott L. (Post 1908199)
All's well that ends well. Original buyer paid. I apologized to the second buyer and offered him $10 off my ask on any other card I had listed to try and make up for it which he accepted. We're all good!

Thanks for everyone's thoughts.

Glad it worked out for everyone involved.:)

CobbSpikedMe 08-13-2019 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1908213)
Glad it worked out for everyone involved.:)

+1 things could've gone south if both parties weren't amicable. Glad to hear everyone is happy in the end.

drcy 08-13-2019 05:53 PM

Most people in the hobby are reasonable and understanding.

RedsFan1941 08-13-2019 06:13 PM

refreshing to see no posts demanding the names of all parties involved.