Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Anyone have info on these cards? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=133350)

timelord 02-14-2011 06:26 PM

Anyone have info on these cards?

Greetings fellow collectors. I recently acqired this beautiful Postcard size card of Johnny Mize. It has some information on the back. Any experts out there on Postcards? I attached the front and back scans. Appears to be EX condition. The hologram sticker on the back indicates authentic. I guess that would mean authentic vintage photo. The photo is pasted to cardboard back like it was intended to be used as a Postcard. If any experts out there can ID this photo based on back info please step up.
Thanks
Richard

FrankWakefield 02-14-2011 07:18 PM

Dimensions?

asphaltman 02-14-2011 07:44 PM

I'm not sure what it is....could have been some local Rochester regional issue, put out by the Rochester team or something....

Mize played with Rochester from 1933-35.

Nice though.

rhettyeakley 02-14-2011 09:23 PM

Obviously, it's not a postcard and unless the card came from a series that was in some way distributed to the populace (even if it was distributed by the team itself to the general public) it has more collectibility as a photo. It may have come from an unknown set of cards but unless that can be proven it will not be accepted as a "card" but will be accepted as a "Photo". Likely in this case it was a photo taken by the team and sent to The Sporting News in case they wanted to run a photo of the young star.

Fred 02-14-2011 11:38 PM

Did this just come out of a recent auction that had many Sporting News photos?

timelord 02-17-2011 11:19 AM

Johnny Mize Red Wings Photo

I was wondering if anyone on the board owns this Red wings photo of Johnny "Big Cat" Mize?
Thanks

Hot Springs Bathers 02-17-2011 11:33 AM

This looks like a press release photo probably done by the ball club and mailed as a set out to various press outlets thus the TSN stamp from when they received it.

Back during my sports information director days I printed sets of each sport out leaving the blank white space at the bottom to tape a cutline on for the players hometown paper. You can size the photo any way you want as it projects on the paper in the darkroom. Just a guess.

timelord 02-17-2011 12:35 PM

Johnny Mize Rochester Photo

Hi, thanks for that interesting information. I also believe it may be a Team issue. I sent an email to the website on that sticker on back and they wrote back that it is an original Type 1 photo from the Sporting News collection. The person from whom I purchased this photo indicated 1933 as the date which would be "The Big Cat's" first year with Rochester. The photo is very sharp and in Excellent condition. Since Mize is one of my favorite HOF'ers it is a thrill to have this early original photo. Does anyone else have this photo?

FrankWakefield 02-17-2011 12:39 PM

Seems to me that it being a 'type 1' photo is inconsistent with it being a team issue... Can you explain that a bit more?

slidekellyslide 02-17-2011 03:55 PM

Rhett nailed it...this is a photo that was in the Sporting News Archives probably sent by the team to the publication for their use. John Rogers (Lexibell) bought out the archive and has been dispersing it over the last year or so. Some incredible minor league photos in that collection...I've picked up a few Lincoln photos already.