Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Why Do You Get Jumpy? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=334181)

ChiefBeef 04-15-2023 12:22 PM

Why Do You Get Jumpy?

When you sell cards and guys you have dealt with in the past (on this board) for some reason don't respond before you think they should, does that give good reason to up and say screw it and sell to the next guy. I am talking about 2 days passing! Jeesh, some of us have to work for a living.

Republicaninmass 04-15-2023 01:08 PM

People anticipating the bottom dropping out

Leon 04-15-2023 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefBeef (Post 2332104)
When you sell cards and guys you have dealt with in the past (on this board) for some reason don't respond before you think they should, does that give good reason to up and say screw it and sell to the next guy. I am talking about 2 days passing! Jeesh, some of us have to work for a living.

Your sale and/or trade. If you don't like the response,or timeliness, sell to the next guy

Republicaninmass 04-15-2023 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 2332122)
Your sale and/or trade. If you don't like the response,or timeliness, sell to the next guy

FWIW Appears he was buying in this instance.

Rhotchkiss 04-15-2023 01:31 PM

Snooze = lose. Move on to the next guy. If I don’t hear from someone for two days I assume they have become a non-factor

ullmandds 04-15-2023 01:55 PM

2 days is a long time…imo… in the modern world regarding dealmaking and communication.

Republicaninmass 04-15-2023 02:07 PM

Always best to post I'll take it in the thread!

Then follow up with give me a day or so...even if you can/plan on paying

CobbSpikedMe 04-15-2023 07:45 PM

If you have a deal going that isn't sealed and finished yet, then you need to be online daily to communicate and respond to a buyer/seller. At my job, I give people 24 hours to respond before I follow up and remind them that I still need a response. Same thing goes in this case if you have a deal or negotiation going on. If they email you late at night or early morning and you have to go to work, then you need to go online and respond when you get home from work.

oldjudge 04-15-2023 08:43 PM

First one to say I'll take the card gets it. You can think all you like but don't expect the seller to be waiting for you unless you have agreed to that ahead of time.

Exhibitman 04-16-2023 02:42 PM

The OP doesn't mention any subsequent communications. Could be be the counterparty felt he was being ghosted.

steve B 04-18-2023 09:07 AM

I may be too old school, but one thing that the internet has drastically changed is how impatient everyone is.

A couple days wouldn't bother me.

I bought a bike from a guy in Italy... Paid, waited.... at about 3 months a guy here that occasionally listed stuff for the guy in Italy listed a pair of wheels that would have gone with the bike. (Special bike used by a know pro, same special wheels from the same rider)
So I asked if there was a chance they ahd come from the bike I'd bought, but maybe had gotten shipped wrong or forgotten.
No problem, a spare wheel set. The US guy said he knew the Italian guy still had the bike, had packed it but just hadn't gotten around to going to the post office.:eek: He gave him a gentle reminder that people in the US were a bit more impatient than in Italy, and my bike was on it's way.

The only thing that keeps stamp people from being slow is that stamps are so small and light...

parkplace33 04-18-2023 09:36 AM

If you ever get the term "circle back", there is a 99 percent chance they are not circling back.

todeen 04-18-2023 09:39 AM

Quite a few sellers on this board list in the post that "I take it trumps negotiations." I have benefitted from this once or twice by jumping in to take at the asking price when I was certain another party was trying to negotiate.

I lost a deal on this site over a year ago due to impatience by the seller. My father went to the hospital in the days before he passed away. I only got on Net54 after leaving the hospital. When I got home, the seller had moved on; he probably thought I was ghosting him. I figured it was fate and it wasn't meant to be.

However, I don't sell that way; I have a full-time job that has erratic hours and I usually only have small windows of time for outside communication. The few times that I have sold an item that got multiple responses on this board, I told all parties that 1) I had multiple offers.... 2) They were first in line, second in line, etc., or their offer was lower than I was willing to accept.... 3) When communicating with guy number 1, I told him he had 24/48/72 hours to wrap up a deal. When his deadline approached, I communicated I was about to start dealing with guy #2.

The last card I sold, the guy who was second in line didn't want to be second, so he decided he would pay the original asking price. It forced guy #1 to make a quick decision. It ended up working in my favor.

BobC 04-18-2023 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve b (Post 2332790)
i may be too old school, but one thing that the internet has drastically changed is how impatient everyone is.

A couple days wouldn't bother me.

+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000................ ............................

Luke 04-18-2023 11:08 AM

The main problem is that 99% of people who disappear for 2 days are not ever going to get back to you. So if you are super busy and can disappear for 2 days but always complete the deal eventually, you still have to give the seller some reason to think you are the 1% of people who will eventually pay, because it only makes sense to assume you are ghosting after 2 days.

Eric72 04-18-2023 06:18 PM

Like many problems in life, good communication is often a significant part of the solution.

Considering the day and age in which we live, taking longer than a couple days to reply to someone is quite lengthy.

Yes, things happen. However, if you're too busy to drop the seller/buyer a quick message...don't take it personally if they move along to another buyer/seller.

Leon 04-24-2023 03:50 PM

+1 to that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric72 (Post 2332915)
Like many problems in life, good communication is often a significant part of the solution.

Considering the day and age in which we live, taking longer than a couple days to reply to someone is quite lengthy.

Yes, things happen. However, if you're too busy to drop the seller/buyer a quick message...don't take it personally if they move along to another buyer/seller.