Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Team Bat Sets (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=239464)

Dave Grob 05-08-2017 05:01 PM

Team Bat Sets

Around 2000-2001 I sold off the bulk of my Reds collection as we bought our first house. Part of this included game use bats for every position player from the 1970, 1972, and 1975-1976 teams (except Julian Javier). Then around 2004, I sold off most of my bats from the players for the original TV series Home Run derby.

Feeling at a loss for Cincinnati, I decided to keep the Frank Robinson bat from the Home Run Derby set and start in on the 1961 Reds team. I have already posted about landing the Jerry Zimmerman bat, but I would love to hear from folks who put or are putting together “team set” of vintage game used bats (pre-1980s). Questions for the thread are along the lines of:

1. What team?
2. Why you picked it?
3. Toughest bat of the set (NOT the most expensive)?
4. Was there one that got away?
5. How close are you?

For me, I may try to pick up two more players to take it down to all position players with 50 or games and then declare victory.

Dave Grob

slidekellyslide 05-08-2017 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Grob (Post 1659259)
Around 2000-2001 I sold off the bulk of my Reds collection as we bought our first house. Part of this included game use bats for every position player from the 1970, 1972, and 1975-1976 teams (except Julian Javier). Then around 2004, I sold off most of my bats from the players for the original TV series Home Run derby.

Feeling at a loss for Cincinnati, I decided to keep the Frank Robinson bat from the Home Run Derby set and start in on the 1961 Reds team. I have already posted about landing the Jerry Zimmerman bat, but I would love to hear from folks who put or are putting together “team set” of vintage game used bats (pre-1980s). Questions for the thread are along the lines of:

1. What team?
2. Why you picked it?
3. Toughest bat of the set (NOT the most expensive)?
4. Was there one that got away?
5. How close are you?

For me, I may try to pick up two more players to take it down to all position players with 50 or games and then declare victory.

Dave Grob

How difficult would it be to get a bat from every single player on the 61 Reds?

Dave Grob 05-08-2017 05:48 PM

Team Bat Sets

Dan,
Wow...There are 37 players for that team. I suspect that some of the pitchers may not have bats of their own, but you could see bats with PITCHERS on the barrel and their number on the knob. I have seen that a few times. I have been pretty involved in collecting Reds stuff off and on (more on than off) since the late 1970s, and really can’t imagine that this might be too feasible given how long it has taken me to get this far with a pretty concerted effort.
Dave Grob

slidekellyslide 05-08-2017 05:52 PM

I figured as much, but wasn't sure if you had passed on bats from players who had appeared in fewer games than your criteria for your collection.

Dave Grob 05-08-2017 06:01 PM

Team Bats

Dan,

There have been a couple of players (2-3) that I have passed on, but these have guys who may have appeared in the 4-6 game range. For me, they just seemed out of context and, if I get them, it would just gnaw at me that I could not find them all. I guess with age has come the balance between the hunt and some informed and managed expectations.

Dave Grob

ooo-ribay 05-08-2017 06:26 PM

Question for you, Dave.....do your 1961 Reds team bats have to have the markings of that era? LS had a 1961-63 style and Adirindacks were marked the same from 1961-67. I'm thinking this is not part of your criteria because this would make a very tough task nearly impossible, especially with the Louisville Sluggers.

I have a couple hundred Giants bats. My criteria is (for ones not marked with the team name) that the markings match or overlap any particular player's time in the orange and black.

I may look in my records and see if I am nearly complete on any particular team. If so, I'm guessing one of the Humm Baby teams (1987-89) or the 103 game winners (with no playoffs :( ) of 1993.

Dave Grob 05-08-2017 06:44 PM

Team Set Bats

For me, yes and no. While most are H&B 1961-1963 labeling period, a few or either side of that, but not by much. Not too many of these guys had careers that ran into the 1970s (Robinson & Pinson did), but even with those guys, I think I would have held out for something period.

I do have one I know is from the 1961 season as the Pinson bat is a 1961 World Series H&B.

Dave Grob

Mark 05-08-2017 06:48 PM

how many bats in a team set?

I guess I take a pretty easy-going approach. I'd be satisfied with the 8 regulars and their platoon partners. If a player didn't make it on the playoff roster or WS roster, I wouldn't make a great effort to get the bat. But maybe I'm not taking it seriously enough yet!

ooo-ribay 05-08-2017 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Grob (Post 1659294)
For me, yes and no. While most are H&B 1961-1963 labeling period, a few or either side of that, but not by much. Not too many of these guys had careers that ran into the 1970s (Robinson & Pinson did), but even with those guys, I think I would have held out for something period.

I do have one I know is from the 1961 season as the Pinson bat is a 1961 World Series H&B.

Dave Grob

Impressive! Were H&B and Adirondack the only MLB approved makers at that time. Are most of your Reds H&B's?

On a side note, I have a 1961-63 Adirondack white letter Willie Mays. The bat is beautiful, Willie was at the height of his powers and he had a contract with Adirindack, thus it has a full, script signature....yet, block letter "MAYS" H&B's seem to bring more money :confused:

baseball tourist 05-08-2017 09:29 PM

'77 Jays

I have dabbled in the collection of a 1977 Toronto Blue Jays team bat set. Being its the first season makes it interesting to me and with a roster of non stars makes it somewhat affordable.

There are 21 position players and I have an Ernie Whitt, Jim Mason, Otto Velez, Dave McKay, Doug Ault, Steve Staggs and Al Woods. 14 to go.

perezfan 05-09-2017 01:25 AM

I just have "The Great Eight" from the 1975-76 Reds.

I have felt no need to go any further with it. Never felt compelled to collect Pitchers' Bats, or guys like Bill Plummer and Merv Rettenmund. Nothing at all against them... just not as meaningful, or on the same plane as the starters.

It all comes down to personal preference, I guess. Plus I had plenty of other ways to part with money at the time. :eek:

Dave Grob 05-09-2017 07:06 AM

Team Bat Sets

Mark,

Interesting that bring up the 1975-1976 Reds. Very popular team set, consistent starters for both years and no shortage of those bats (Not that they are cheap). But what you may be forced to go after really depends on the team.

80% of a 162 game schedule is 130 games. Every one of the “The Great Eight” hit that 80% threshold for both the 1975 and 1976 seasons. But with other clubs, it’s not always so clean.

Consider the 1969 New York Mets, another very popular team set. For those largely recognized as starters for that club, only Cleon Jones and Tommy Agee hit the 80% mark. The 1969 Mets had 11 position players with over 100 games.

Dave Grob

Bpm0014 05-09-2017 07:46 AM

1. What team? T206 set.
2. Why you picked it? Love the players associated with the T206 set.
3. Toughest bat of the set (NOT the most expensive)? Most are impossible.
4. Was there one that got away? Recently in REA, Wildfire Schulte went for $13,200 with the juice. Insane!
5. How close are you? I have about 30 with one duplicate (Harry Davis). So not close at all!

Dave Grob 05-09-2017 07:51 AM

Team Set

I think we can close the thread. I don't think we are going to find a more interesting or challenging team bat set than the "T206" set.

Dave Grob

Mark 05-09-2017 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Grob (Post 1659486)
Mark,

Interesting that bring up the 1975-1976 Reds. Very popular team set, consistent starters for both years and no shortage of those bats (Not that they are cheap). But what you may be forced to go after really depends on the team.

80% of a 162 game schedule is 130 games. Every one of the “The Great Eight” hit that 80% threshold for both the 1975 and 1976 seasons. But with other clubs, it’s not always so clean.

Consider the 1969 New York Mets, another very popular team set. For those largely recognized as starters for that club, only Cleon Jones and Tommy Agee hit the 80% mark. The 1969 Mets had 11 position players with over 100 games.

Dave Grob

I would usually be OK with the starting lineup, but this would include platoon players (e.g. Clendenon and Kranepool). And when a role player like Al Weis makes an important contribution in a playoff game or world series, then I don't think a set would not be complete without it. For example, I have been going after the 1925 Pirates bats, and I would love to add a Stuffy McInnis to it. He wasn't a regular, but he had a big hit in game 7. But I don't think that bat will ever be available.

jcmtiger 05-09-2017 10:49 AM

Detroit Tigers World Series Black bats.

Bugsy 05-09-2017 10:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The 1924 St. Paul Saints.

I have been working on a Saints collection for a long time now. My initial interest began almost 25 years ago when my father and I found some old ticket stubs of games my grandfather went to in the early 20s. 1924 was particularly interesting because the Saints won the Junior World Series that year.

They are extremely obscure. I have 8 or 9 from the players from the team so far. First of all, it wouldn't surprise me if most of the players on the team didn't even have their own model bats. Secondly, who back in 1920s would have saved broken bats of no-name players? Superstars will always command top dollar, but their must be dozens of Babe Ruth used bats out there for every Bruno Haas bat. Most of my bats survived because they are Hillerich vault bats.

I missed out on two bats so far. Nick Allen and Oscar Roettger. Making it more difficult, many of the Saints played for the 1920s Yankees teams. 12 of the 1927 Yankees played for the Saints. That might sound like a cool historical footnote, but it is a massive pain in the ass when you're a collector.

It is a set that is impossible to complete, but the search is the best part.

Chris

Bugsy 05-09-2017 10:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a ball from the 1924 Junior World Series. The scores from the first three games were recorded on the ball.

Lefty Grove was pitching for the Orioles that series.

Dave Grob 05-09-2017 12:07 PM

Team Bat Sets

I missed out on two bats so far. Nick Allen and Oscar Roettger.

Don't hate me, but I had a Nick Allen bat at one time as part of my 1919 Reds collection. I gifted it to an individual who helped me land a jersey I was after.

Dave Grob

ooo-ribay 05-09-2017 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Grob (Post 1659497)
I think we can close the thread. I don't think we are going to find a more interesting or challenging team bat set than the "T206" set.

Dave Grob

Nah. 1993 SF Giants are more interesting! :p

Mark 05-10-2017 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Grob (Post 1659497)

Dave Grob

What makes Brendan's quest even tougher is that, in the spirit of collecting t206's, he has to get all the different brands and variations of each bat (H&B, Spalding, Stall & Dean Wright & Ditson, etc.). Not to mention the different weights, lengths, and finishes.

Bpm0014 05-10-2017 07:54 AM

Hahahahaha. I'm definitely not going for a "master set"....

Bpm0014 05-10-2017 07:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a sampling....

Kzoo 05-12-2017 10:11 AM

1984 Tigers...

Dave...............I'm breaking your rules, but not by too much. I've been on a quest since 2002 to get a 1984 era, game used bat from all 21 position players on the 1984 Detroit Tigers roster. I attended my first MLB game 1984 when I was 9 years old and it happened to be during a great season. My father took me on Sept. 16th to the old Tiger Stadium, just before the playoffs. I still remember how 'green' the grass was in person. I'm down to needing just two...Rod Allen and Rusty Kuntz. Kuntz shouldn't be hard. Allen is very scarce.

1. What team? 1984 Detroit Tigers
2. Why you picked it? First year and team my Dad took me to see a game.
3. Toughest bat of the set (NOT the most expensive)? Rod Allen
4. Was there one that got away? Not really
5. How close are you? 2 more.

Cool topic................Matt

Dave Grob 05-12-2017 10:33 AM

Team Bat Sets

Matt,

What a great post all the way around! Best wishes and even better luck as you close in the final two. The 1984 Tigers performance just underscored what a huge mistake Dick Wagner made in firing Sparky Anderson.

Dave Grob

baseball tourist 11-27-2018 10:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by baseball tourist (Post 1659399)
I have dabbled in the collection of a 1977 Toronto Blue Jays team bat set. Being its the first season makes it interesting to me and with a roster of non stars makes it somewhat affordable.

There are 21 position players and I have an Ernie Whitt, Jim Mason, Otto Velez, Dave McKay, Doug Ault, Steve Staggs and Al Woods. 14 to go.

Just added a nice Bob Bailor. Lucky 13 left!

sphere and ash 11-28-2018 01:05 PM

I have the 1927 and 1939 Yankees.

The 1927 Yankees I always wanted for display with the “home run batting eyes” images by Charles Conlon. Conlon didn’t photograph the whole team, so I’ve never felt the need to own Mike Gazella or Julian Wera, though if they ever came up for sale, I suppose I would try (as far as I know, there is only one known bat of each). I do own Waite Hoyt, which was a tough bat, but toughest by far was Ben Paschal. Conlon photographed Paschal, so that was a must have.

For the 1939 Yankees, I only have the starting eight hitters, less Gordon. I increased the difficulty by requiring that each bat be from the 1939 labeling period.

baseball tourist 11-28-2018 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sphere and ash (Post 1830859)
I have the 1927 and 1939 Yankees.

The 1927 Yankees I always wanted for display with the “home run batting eyes” images by Charles Conlon. Conlon didn’t photograph the whole team, so I’ve never felt the need to own Mike Gazella or Julian Wera, though if they ever came up for sale, I suppose I would try (as far as I know, there is only one known bat of each). I do own Waite Hoyt, which was a tough bat, but toughest by far was Ben Paschal. Conlon photographed Paschal, so that was a must have.

For the 1939 Yankees, I only have the starting eight hitters, less Gordon. I increased the difficulty by requiring that each bat be from the 1939 labeling period.

Would love to see some of those bats!

sphere and ash 11-28-2018 02:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by baseball tourist (Post 1830888)
Would love to see some of those bats!

This image of the 1939 Yankees is missing Dickey, which I added later. The eight of them hit .297.

sphere and ash 11-28-2018 03:33 PM

Here are the 1927 Yankees.

See next post for image.

sphere and ash 11-28-2018 03:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Mark 11-30-2018 07:02 AM

A wonderful achievement! congratulations. but more, bigger photos would be welcomed!!

Mark17 01-31-2019 03:55 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I've been working on the 1965 Twins H&B gamers since 2005, on and off, with varying levels of intensity. I've got 23 players, the manager, and a coach who had played with them in previous seasons:

POS Player
C Earl Battey
1B Don Mincher
2B Jerry Kindall
3B Rich Rollins
SS Zoilo Versalles
LF Bob Allison
CF Jimmie Hall
RF Tony Oliva

13 Harmon Killebrew
OF Sandy Valdespino
O3 Joe Nossek
C Jerry Zimmerman
2B Frank Quilici
O1 Andy Kosco
2B Bernie Allen
23O Frank Kostro
UT Cesar Tovar
1O Rich Reese

P Mudcat Grant
P Camilo Pascual
P Jim Perry
P Jim Merritt
P Al Worthington

Mgr Sam Mele
Coach Jim Lemon

I don't have:

OF Ted Uhlaender
C John Sevcik

P Jim Kaat
P Dave Boswell
P Dick Stigman
P Mel Nelson
P J. Klippstein
P Bill Pleis
P Jerry Fosnow
P Garry Roggenburk
P Dwight Siebler
P Pete Cimino

I picked it because they were the only Twins team of my childhood years that went to the World Series.

The toughest bat is considered Sevcik, a third-string catcher who only played 12 games in the Major Leagues. But the relief pitchers, I believe, are scarcer and in some cases, impossible. I have to figure there are some Sevcik bats from his days in the minors, but many of those relievers never had any bats made.

Ones that got away were by choice. I had a Boswell bat, but it had Frank Quilici's knob markings, so I let it go. I also had a nice Stigman but sold that too. In both cases, I got good prices for them, and I had seen another bat from each of those guys, so I figured eventually another would come along. Sometimes I do regret selling those two.

There was one 1961-67 Adirondack bat in my collection - a Twins team bat with #36 on the knob. Jim Kaat was one of just 3 Twins who wore the same number with them throughout the 1960s and his number was 36. But, again, I was offered a deal I couldn't turn down, so I traded that one away. I have never seen a vintage bat with Kaat's name on the barrel, although he had the reputation as a good hitter.

I had 2 Allisons and wanted to choose which to keep in the collection. One was a rookie era bat from his days with the Senators, and the other was a Vic Power bat with Allison's very distinctive knob markings, with his number and bat weight in parenthesis from the 1961-64 period. I chose the latter when I got a good offer on the rookie bat. Both have great tar and knob markings, but the one I kept was a Twins bat.

Originally my Sam Mele bat was from his playing days with Boston. I never felt like it belonged in my collection though, so I sold that one too. The chances of ever obtaining a Sam Mele gamer from his time as Twins manager were quite slim. There would've been a World Series bat made for him in 1965, and All Star bats from 1965 (since it was played in Minnesota and the Twins were in first place) and 1966, because he was the AL manager. I hoped there might be All Star bats for him from 1962, '63, or 1964, but had no idea if he coached in any of those games.

Well, one day a Sam Mele 1963 All Star H&B came up on ebay and I jumped all over it. I figure it is one of maybe 5 H&B bats made for him during his Twins days.

Realistically, I might eventually find Sevcik, Uhlaender, and another Boswell, Stigman, Kaat, and there might be a Klippstein in existence from his early years as a starting pitcher. Bill Pleis, Klippstein, and maybe Mel Nelson probably had World Series bats (I once owned a 1965 Al Worthington World Series bat.) But that is tough, chasing a 54 year old bat when only one was made. And I have spoken with Mel Nelson about it and he only recalled the commemorative black bat... not any WS game bat.

The problem when a collection gets to this point is that I am not really able to do much "collecting." There are so few opportunities to obtain bats I still need. And so.... my bats have become somewhat boring to me. I offered the collection to the Twins curator, either as a sale or on loan for display, but have not received a response yet. For now they have a home on my wall.

sayhey24 01-31-2019 07:11 PM

Can't believe the Twins wouldn't want that collection -- hopefully you will hear from them.
I'm a longtime collector of pitchers game bats -- im trying to upload photos of some Kaats I picked up 15-20 years ago, but I'm not having any luck. I haven't seen any since.

Greg

Mark70Z 02-01-2019 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugsy (Post 1659576)
Here is a ball from the 1924 Junior World Series. The scores from the first three games were recorded on the ball.

Lefty Grove was pitching for the Orioles that series.

I know you guys are talking team bats, but I love that Jr. WS ball...

Of course with all the talk of team bats I wonder why I’ve never even thought about collecting a specific year for an Orioles team; loved all those teams.

sphere and ash 02-01-2019 08:32 AM

A nearly complete collection of the 1998 Yankees, all on 1998 model bats.

sphere and ash 02-01-2019 08:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
1998 Yankees

Scott Garner 02-01-2019 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark17 (Post 1850953)
I've been working on the 1965 Twins H&B gamers since 2005, on and off, with varying levels of intensity. I've got 23 players, the manager, and a coach who had played with them in previous seasons:

POS Player
C Earl Battey
1B Don Mincher
2B Jerry Kindall
3B Rich Rollins
SS Zoilo Versalles
LF Bob Allison
CF Jimmie Hall
RF Tony Oliva

13 Harmon Killebrew
OF Sandy Valdespino
O3 Joe Nossek
C Jerry Zimmerman
2B Frank Quilici
O1 Andy Kosco
2B Bernie Allen
23O Frank Kostro
UT Cesar Tovar
1O Rich Reese

P Mudcat Grant
P Camilo Pascual
P Jim Perry
P Jim Merritt
P Al Worthington

Mgr Sam Mele
Coach Jim Lemon

I don't have:

OF Ted Uhlaender
C John Sevcik

P Jim Kaat
P Dave Boswell
P Dick Stigman
P Mel Nelson
P J. Klippstein
P Bill Pleis
P Jerry Fosnow
P Garry Roggenburk
P Dwight Siebler
P Pete Cimino

I picked it because they were the only Twins team of my childhood years that went to the World Series.

The toughest bat is considered Sevcik, a third-string catcher who only played 12 games in the Major Leagues. But the relief pitchers, I believe, are scarcer and in some cases, impossible. I have to figure there are some Sevcik bats from his days in the minors, but many of those relievers never had any bats made.

Ones that got away were by choice. I had a Boswell bat, but it had Frank Quilici's knob markings, so I let it go. I also had a nice Stigman but sold that too. In both cases, I got good prices for them, and I had seen another bat from each of those guys, so I figured eventually another would come along. Sometimes I do regret selling those two.

There was one 1961-67 Adirondack bat in my collection - a Twins team bat with #36 on the knob. Jim Kaat was one of just 3 Twins who wore the same number with them throughout the 1960s and his number was 36. But, again, I was offered a deal I couldn't turn down, so I traded that one away. I have never seen a vintage bat with Kaat's name on the barrel, although he had the reputation as a good hitter.

I had 2 Allisons and wanted to choose which to keep in the collection. One was a rookie era bat from his days with the Senators, and the other was a Vic Power bat with Allison's very distinctive knob markings, with his number and bat weight in parenthesis from the 1961-64 period. I chose the latter when I got a good offer on the rookie bat. Both have great tar and knob markings, but the one I kept was a Twins bat.

Originally my Sam Mele bat was from his playing days with Boston. I never felt like it belonged in my collection though, so I sold that one too. The chances of ever obtaining a Sam Mele gamer from his time as Twins manager were quite slim. There would've been a World Series bat made for him in 1965, and All Star bats from 1965 (since it was played in Minnesota and the Twins were in first place) and 1966, because he was the AL manager. I hoped there might be All Star bats for him from 1962, '63, or 1964, but had no idea if he coached in any of those games.

Well, one day a Sam Mele 1963 All Star H&B came up on ebay and I jumped all over it. I figure it is one of maybe 5 H&B bats made for him during his Twins days.

Realistically, I might eventually find Sevcik, Uhlaender, and another Boswell, Stigman, Kaat, and there might be a Klippstein in existence from his early years as a starting pitcher. Bill Pleis, Klippstein, and maybe Mel Nelson probably had World Series bats (I once owned a 1965 Al Worthington World Series bat.) But that is tough, chasing a 54 year old bat when only one was made. And I have spoken with Mel Nelson about it and he only recalled the commemorative black bat... not any WS game bat.

The problem when a collection gets to this point is that I am not really able to do much "collecting." There are so few opportunities to obtain bats I still need. And so.... my bats have become somewhat boring to me. I offered the collection to the Twins curator, either as a sale or on loan for display, but have not received a response yet. For now they have a home on my wall.

Awesome collection! :cool:

Scott Garner 02-01-2019 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sphere and ash (Post 1830914)
here are the 1927 yankees.

Wow!!

sphere and ash 02-01-2019 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sphere and ash (Post 1851127)
1998 Yankees

Anyone have Rickey Ledee, Luis Sojo, Mike Figga, or Mike Lowell?

Duluth Eskimo 02-01-2019 03:04 PM

Being from Minnesota I can appreciate your set of Twins bats. I had the opportunity to meet many of those guys back in the 80’s and 90’s sitting with them at signings and shows. Most of them were really decent guys.

I am going to venture a guess that Clyde has not called you because he has many of those bats from his own collection that are currently on display or able to be displayed with the Twins. Clyde had a ridiculously large collection of Twins memorabilia before selling it to them and taking the job with them. He’s a really good guy so I’m sure he’ll get back to you at some point. Maybe he’s just off for the winter. Take care, Jason

Mark 02-01-2019 04:11 PM

nice!

That's a really impressive set you got there! I'm surprised that Ted U proves to be the tough one. Me, I would find it hard to let go of that collection if it was mine, so I admire your willingness to share it. When Taylor finally finishes building the brick and mortar Minneapolis Millers museum, maybe you could display them there!!

sayhey24 02-02-2019 07:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are the Jim Kaat gamers that I mentioned in a previous post --

bobbvc 02-04-2019 09:19 AM

1977-79 Oakland A's

Saw a lot of them in Spring Training those years, mainly playing the Padres in Yuma. Interesting time period for the A's as well. Their great teams of the early-mid 70's having been gutted by free agency and not yet the competitive "Billy Ball" under manager Billy Martin where they crawled back to respectability.
Some of my favorites- Mike Edwards, Mitchell Page, Wayne Gross, Tony Armas,
Jim Essian, Taylor Duncan.
Also collecting 1969 Padres bats which has morphed into a 1969-1976 collection.

commishbob 02-04-2019 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark70Z (Post 1851115)

Of course with all the talk of team bats I wonder why I’ve never even thought about collecting a specific year for an Orioles team; loved all those teams.

Had the exact same thought reading the thread (which is amazing for sure).

I have a half dozen random Orioles bats that I picked up years ago but never considered chasing a specific year's team or lineup. It would be a fun project but given how full my hobby room is now I'd be hard pressed to find a way to display them. I'm afraid they'd end up like the ones I have...in a closet. :(

Mark70Z 02-04-2019 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by commishbob (Post 1851923)
Had the exact same thought reading the thread (which is amazing for sure).

I have a half dozen random Orioles bats that I picked up years ago but never considered chasing a specific year's team or lineup. It would be a fun project but given how full my hobby room is now I'd be hard pressed to find a way to display them. I'm afraid they'd end up like the ones I have...in a closet. :(

Bob,

I only have one GU bat besides a Brookie and that is a Ken Singleton. I picked it up years and years ago. If I was to ever collect O’s bats I’d likely just go after the starting position players and really not be particular of a specific year (I’m sure a F. Robby would be costly). Of course with two player bats I’d still have a long way to go.

By the way I’d love to see that packed hobby room!

Mark 06-07-2019 01:10 PM

27 Pirates

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by sphere and ash (Post 1830914)

It's been 4 months since anyone has posted here, so I thought I'd chime in with a photo of my 1927 Pirates collection to go along with the amazing 27 Yankees collection posted here last year by Paul. So far, I have the regulars plus one part time player.

Going back to Dave's original post, I picked the Pirates from the 20's partly because bats from the 20's were relatively plentiful back when I started collecting thanks to the Louisville find in the early 90's.

The one that got away? and the one that is tough? Back in 1994, Art Jaffee of Leftfield Collectibles had a Grantham bat for sale, but he was asking $350 for it instead of the $250 he was asking for similar bats. He was unusually firm about the price because he said that Grantham was in the college football hall of fame. I was pretty sure that he was wrong about Grantham being in the football hall, so I thought I'd wait a couple of months and make another offer. Of course, Art sold that bat quickly, and I promised myself I'd buy the next one I saw. That was 25 years ago, and I'm still looking. For now, I have a store model Grantham that has an unusual length and knob, but I still, faithfully, keep looking for a solid pro model.

MGHPro 06-07-2019 08:09 PM

Nice group!! Who is the hand turned spalding ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark (Post 1886361)
It's been 4 months since anyone has posted here, so I thought I'd chime in with a photo of my 1927 Pirates collection to go along with the amazing 27 Yankees collection posted here last year by Paul. So far, I have the regulars plus one part time player.

Going back to Dave's original post, I picked the Pirates from the 20's partly because bats from the 20's were relatively plentiful back when I started collecting thanks to the Louisville find in the early 90's.

The one that got away? and the one that is tough? Back in 1994, Art Jaffee of Leftfield Collectibles had a Grantham bat for sale, but he was asking $350 for it instead of the $250 he was asking for similar bats. He was unusually firm about the price because he said that Grantham was in the college football hall of fame. I was pretty sure that he was wrong about Grantham being in the football hall, so I thought I'd wait a couple of months and make another offer. Of course, Art sold that bat quickly, and I promised myself I'd buy the next one I saw. That was 25 years ago, and I'm still looking. For now, I have a store model Grantham that has an unusual length and knob, but I still, faithfully, keep looking for a solid pro model.

Mark 06-07-2019 10:12 PM

Thanks, Matt. The hand-turned Spalding is Oil Smith. A light signature brand. Key thing is to make sure that it's the right Earl Smith--the catcher, not the AL outfielder.

Baseballcrazy62 06-08-2019 09:55 PM

1984 Tigers. I have Parrish, Lowry, Evans, Bergman, Whitaker, Baker, Trammell, Castillo, Brookens, Gibson, Lemon, Herndon, Garbey, Grubb, Johnson, Jones, Kuntz, Simmons. Looking for Scotty Earl.