Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   BVS Slabs (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=89768)

Archive 05-22-2008 09:20 PM

BVS Slabs

Posted By: <b>Jim Dale</b><p>I see the $9 - 10 day turn around on Beckett grading is available. I like their slabs; they are my preference for modern cards too (BGS). Does anyone know are they good at breaking cards out of existing SGC/PSA slabs or no? <br /><br />PS...I really am not concerned about the "value" equation as much as its my collection and sticking with me for a while.

Archive 05-23-2008 02:10 AM

BVS Slabs

Posted By: <b>Bilko G</b><p> YES, BVG does/will break out PSA/SGC slabs for you to re-slab in the BVG. They charge an extra $2 per card to break the old slab. I too love the BVG slabs.

Archive 05-23-2008 06:33 AM

BVS Slabs

Posted By: <b>Mark Anderson</b><p>Hi Jim,<br /><br />Yes, we are able to crack any other company's holders. This includes PSA, SGC & GAI as well as any of the lesser known companies you may want removed from their old holders. There are only a few people approved to do so, and all have had nearly 10 years' experience (original BGS employees since 1999), so you can rest easy that they are careful! There are specific methods that work best on each different company's type of slab. The cracking fee is $3 per card. <br /><br />If you simply want cards cracked and regraded under BGS/BVG, you would just pay the $9 special grading fee for 10-day service and the $3 cracking fee. If you have minimum grades in mind, there would be a review fee first for the card to be reviewed and pre-graded in the slab before cracking and official grading.<br /><br />If you have any more questions on this, please shoot us an email at grading@beckett.com, call 972.448.9188, or check out www.beckett.com/grading.<br /><br />Thanks!<br />Mark Anderson, Director<br />Beckett Grading Services

Archive 05-23-2008 06:38 AM

BVS Slabs

Posted By: <b>Phil Garry</b><p>Mark:<br /><br />Will Beckett be grading on-site at this year's National and what will the grading costs be? Also, will your oversized holders definitely be available by then?<br /><br />Thanks

Archive 05-23-2008 06:50 AM

BVS Slabs

Posted By: <b>Mark Anderson</b><p>Hi Phil,<br /><br />Yes, we will once again be grading at the National. We haven't determined the pricing yet, but we will be offering regular onsite slabbing, raw card review, graded card review, and take-home submissions. JSA will also be there, so we can take in JSA/BGS autograph orders as well. <br /><br />One hint, look around for special offers. For those of you taking advantage of our free trial issue of Graded Card Investor (see the Net54 post), I am including a coupon sheet for BGS/BVG, and if I recall correctly, I included one grading coupon specifically for the National Convention.<br /><br />Thanks!<br />Mark

Archive 05-23-2008 06:56 AM

BVS Slabs

Posted By: <b>Mark Anderson</b><p>Sorry Phil - forgot the second half of your question.<br /><br />Our new large holders are being produced right now. I don't have an official launch date yet, but I would hope they would be done and in Dallas by the end of June. I'm very excited about these - they are absolutely massive, holding items up to about 9" x 11.5" and up to 1/4" thick. They are sonically sealed as our standard slabs, and as far as I know, the only large holders that have ever been fully sealed (CGC comics holders, for instance, use a rivet/post design and can be pried apart, etc.). I can't imagine dealers hauling thousands of these around to shows, but I think they look really sharp. <br /><br />I'll try to get a sample scan or two posted on this thread later today if I have time (leaving on vacation shortly for a week). <br /><br />Mark

Archive 05-23-2008 07:17 AM

BVS Slabs

Posted By: <b>cmoking</b><p>It is interesting to see the strategy. Some companies charge less for crossovers some charge more. I'm not saying one is better than the other, just noting that the difference is interesting

Archive 05-23-2008 07:19 AM

BVS Slabs

Posted By: <b>Dave F</b><p>Interesting BVS charges $3 per crackout that they do. Do the other grades do this as well? I don't think I've ever sent anything in except raw cards...other than one time to SGC where in fact they did crack something out. I don't remember being charged for that, but I think it was at the $50 level or something and maybe it just didn't apply at that point?

Archive 05-23-2008 07:28 AM

BVS Slabs

Posted By: <b>Evan</b><p>Mr Anderson,<br /> Would you possibly have an idea when you will be set up to slab the 3 1/2 x 5 1/2 baseball hof postcards. I have cards at jsa since November 07. I have tried to reach Jeremy at BGS on several occasions and have yet to get a call back. Thanks

Archive 05-23-2008 07:28 AM

BVS Slabs

Posted By: <b>Rob D.</b><p>Dave,<br /><br />SGC has not charged me for cracking cards out of PSA holders, no matter what the pricing level.

Archive 05-23-2008 07:36 AM

BVS Slabs

Posted By: <b>Mark Anderson</b><p>Evan,<br /><br />The medium format slab (6" x 9") is in the design process. I hope to have it by the National as well, but it will be close. We had to get the larger slab first, and it involved far more re-engineering than we anticipated, due to the large size. However, now that we have a viable solution on the large format, the medium format will not take nearly as long.<br /><br />For HOF Plaques, etc., you would have 3 options:<br /><br />1) Wait for the 6x9 holder,<br />2) Have it slabbed in the large format holder (it will look a little small in there, but we would add custom bars in the internal sleeve to hold it centered in place, or<br />3) We could slab it in our current 3.5 x 5.25 holder, but without the usual internal sleeve.<br /> <br />Mark

Archive 05-23-2008 07:52 AM

BVS Slabs

Posted By: <b>Evan</b><p>Mark,<br /> Thanks for the info. I will contact jsa and inform them of my choice. <br /> Evan

Archive 05-23-2008 08:57 AM

BVS Slabs

Posted By: <b>Jim Dale</b><p>There was mention of a review fee if a minimum grade requirement is set? How much is that in addition to the cracking fee? All I'd care about is that they grade equally to what SGC and PSA have set them but I have to admit if they were going to be graded down I'd rather have them left in their current holders.

Archive 05-23-2008 09:20 AM

BVS Slabs

Posted By: <b>Mark Anderson</b><p>Jim - I sent you a private email with the details of the Graded Card Review Service. Normally, the review fee depends on quantity ($10 for 1 card, $7.50 for 4+ cards, on down to $6). As with regular grading fees, we do not base pricing on the value of the card.<br /><br />If anyone else is reading this thread and wants a little trial special on crossovers, I will offer you the following:<br /><br />$5 Review Fee<br />$9 10-Day Service if they cross<br />No Cracking Fee<br /><br />Cards not meeting your minimum grade will be left in the original holders and charged $5 each.<br /><br />Cards meeting or exceeding your minimum grade will be re-slabbed in BVG/BGS holders for a total of $14 each (at the 10-day guaranteed service level). <br /><br />You must write "Net54 Crossover Special" on your submission form for this rate, and I will honor it through June 30th. You may pass this on to others who may be interested, but I don't plan on advertising this anywhere, so it is a Net 54 exclusive. <br /><br />The rules for Graded Card Review are found at:<br /><a href="http://www.beckett.com/estore/helpsys/viewarticle.aspx?ArticleId=321" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://www.beckett.com/estore/helpsys/viewarticle.aspx?ArticleId=321</a><br /><br />Note you will need to print out and sign a waiver form. Once you send that with your first order, it is kept on file.<br /><br /><br />Submission forms, shipping and insurance rates, and other info are located at:<br />www.beckett.com/grading<br /><br />Note that I will be on vacation until June 2nd.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Mark<br />