Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Poll: Thoughts on "Full Name" Signatures (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=267929)

Republicaninmass 04-13-2019 08:31 AM

Poll: Thoughts on "Full Name" Signatures

I could pontificate at no end my thoughts on the subject. Auctions houses are touting these "full name" signatures as much more desirable and rare.

Curious others thoughts

Yastrzemski Sports 04-16-2019 02:07 AM

It is very desirable for players who passed before it became popular to do it - much like HOF inscriptions. A Mickey Charles baseball sells for much more than a regular Mickey ball. For players who are alive today it doesn't really matter.

Can you imagine the price tag on a George Herman Ruth?

clydepepper 04-16-2019 06:20 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Can we just get better than this type of stuff...may not be fake, but sure isn't legible:

Thank goodness these came on cards, else they would be near impossible to ID.

Maybe, it's just an 'Atlanta' thing?

Attachment 350286Attachment 350287Attachment 350288

TUM301 04-16-2019 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yastrzemski Sports (Post 1870594)
It is very desirable for players who passed before it became popular to do it - much like HOF inscriptions. A Mickey Charles baseball sells for much more than a regular Mickey ball. For players who are alive today it doesn't really matter.

Can you imagine the price tag on a George Herman Ruth?

This sums up my thoughts, like seeing the old timers full names. The modern guys, not so much. On a side note, maybe a year or year and a half ago a poster did have a "George Ruth" endorsed check for sale. Think it was his time with the Red Sox, cool item !

CobbSpikedMe 04-19-2019 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clydepepper (Post 1870607)
Can we just get better than this type of stuff...may not be fake, but sure isn't legible:

Thank goodness these came on cards, else it would be near impossible to ID.

Maybe, it's just an 'Atlanta' thing?

Attachment 350286Attachment 350287Attachment 350288

Hi Raymond,

It's definitely not just an Atlanta thing. These young players have zero effort in their autos these days. They are pathetic. I find it an insult to their fans to be honest. Like you can't even take the time to sign your name for an autograph, you just throw out a squiggle and a dot or something. Pathetic.

pokerplyr80 04-19-2019 10:39 PM

I suppose it would depend on the player and how rare their full name signature really is. But I could see myself paying a premium for one if it was a player like Mantle or Ruth. But definitely not for a player who is still alive and signing.

orioles93 04-19-2019 11:41 PM

there are some decent modern autos. Dansby Swanson and Juan Soto off the top of my head are good looking fairly legible autos.

clydepepper 04-20-2019 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe (Post 1871452)
Hi Raymond,

It's definitely not just an Atlanta thing. These young players have zero effort in their autos these days. They are pathetic. I find it an insult to their fans to be honest. Like you can't even take the time to sign your name for an autograph, you just throw out a squiggle and a dot or something. Pathetic.

In their defense, I'm sure they are asked to sign hundreds of times each day and maybe a few thousand for a show. It makes my old hands ache just to think about that.

But I do miss signatures like The Mick and Charlie Gehringer.

=

CobbSpikedMe 04-26-2019 04:37 PM

I don't know why, but I'm offended by some of these youngsters signatures. Have some pride and give your fan 5 seconds of time to sign your name. These autos that are a squiggle and a dot are pathetic and insulting to a true fan. I have no sympathy for their hands hurting a bit after a day of signing. They get paid good money for this simple task. Like I teach my kids, do your best and don't do things half assed.

Peter_Spaeth 04-26-2019 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe (Post 1871452)
Hi Raymond,

Chicken scratches. Truly a disgrace. All the millions they are paid and can't be bothered. Compare for example the beautiful signatures on Ted Williams autograph issues. From what I can see Jeter always managed a very nice signature too, surely nobody is as popular as he.

Peter_Spaeth 04-26-2019 04:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Strong sig.

frankbmd 04-26-2019 10:24 PM

With a legible “O” that one is above average. I’d give it a 6.

Paul S 04-27-2019 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1873137)
With a legible “O” that one is above average. I’d give it a 6.

That's a blood group, not a sig.

gopherfan 05-06-2019 11:58 PM

To be fair, he looks like he is about 6. I’m not sure I could spell my name at that age.

HRBAKER 05-07-2019 12:02 AM

I really don't have a preference for a Mickey Charles Mantle over a Mickey Mantle, but I would much prefer a Napoleon Lajoie over a Larry Lajoie anyday.

HRBAKER 05-07-2019 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orioles93 (Post 1871568)
there are some decent modern autos. Dansby Swanson and Juan Soto off the top of my head are good looking fairly legible autos.

https://i152.photobucket.com/albums/...ps2bu7rybd.jpg https://i152.photobucket.com/albums/...ps8oppj5u2.jpg