Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ty Cobb's dentures (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=334050)

Snapolit1 04-11-2023 08:43 AM

Ty Cobb's dentures

To the surprise of virtually no one.

https://sportscollectorsdigest.com/n...el=tw-37041421

ullmandds 04-11-2023 09:06 AM

i remember when these first went on sale...i considered bidding...being a dentist and all. Too bad another bad halper item!!

Vintagedeputy 04-11-2023 09:27 AM

That lie didn't have any teeth to it whatsoever.

Snapolit1 04-11-2023 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 2331192)
i remember when these first went on sale...i considered bidding...being a dentist and all. Too bad another bad halper item!!

One point the article makes, to extent I am reading it properly, is that the dentures were being held by the apparatus used to make them, and there was no reason in the world Cobb would have possessed that equipment. Seems like a pretty obvious point in hindsight.

ullmandds 04-11-2023 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 2331196)
One point the article makes, to extent I am reading it properly, is that the dentures were being held by the apparatus used to make them, and there was no reason in the world Cobb would have possessed that equipment. Seems like a pretty obvious point in hindsight.

true! the impressions/models are used to make the prosthesis...and it'd be quite unusual for the patient to end up with the models. certainly possible these were made and never delivered to cobb...meaning the dentist had them at time of cobbs death or cobb never returned to the dds for them.

perezfan 04-11-2023 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 2331203)
true! the impressions/models are used to make the prosthesis...and it'd be quite unusual for the patient to end up with the models. certainly possible these were made and never delivered to cobb...meaning the dentist had them at time of cobbs death or cobb never returned to the dds for them.

A fearless player, no doubt. But like so many of us, maybe he was afraid of going to the dentist! :eek:

docpatlv 04-11-2023 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 2331192)

I actually did bid on them (looking back, not a finer moment)…thank God I did not win

Mark17 04-12-2023 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 2331251)
A fearless player, no doubt. But like so many of us, maybe he was afraid of going to the dentist! :eek:

I think I read somewhere that Cobb had dental work, or surgery or something, while refusing pain killer. He was truly a tough, mind over matter guy.

I doubt he would've been afraid to face a dentist, or for that matter, any body, any thing, any place, any time.

Snapolit1 04-13-2023 06:12 AM

I've joked about it before, but I wonder how far off we are from selling the busted tendon removed from someone's knee or elbow or other body part. Would probably make a nice "relic" card. 1 of 10 body relic card. Coming soon from Topps.

mrreality68 04-13-2023 09:27 AM

Definitely not for me

Klrdds 04-13-2023 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark17 (Post 2331558)
I think I read somewhere that Cobb had dental work, or surgery or something, while refusing pain killer. He was truly a tough, mind over matter guy.

I doubt he would've been afraid to face a dentist, or for that matter, any body, any thing, any place, any time.

As I recall from the Ken Burns Baseball documentary Cobb had his tonsils removed after a game without anesthetic and played the next game with gauze in his mouth . Ironically the "doctor" who performed the "surgery" was either arrested or committed to a mental hospital sometime later. It's in the 2nd episode / inning of the documentary titled Something Like a War.

mcgwirecom 04-13-2023 05:04 PM

The first inkling I had about the Halper collection was when they put a bunch of the lesser priced items on Ebay. He had a bat signed by McGwire and Sosa and both signatures were ridiculously bad. that was the first red flag. I remember after Halper passed the flood gates opened on how many items were misrepresented or fake all together.

Back in the 90's I remember also seeing and auction for a vial of "thick viscous liquid removed from Ty Cobb's lungs". That may be 50% more ridiculous then the dentures.

Scott Garner 04-14-2023 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcgwirecom (Post 2331718)
The first inkling I had about the Halper collection was when they put a bunch of the lesser priced items on Ebay. He had a bat signed by McGwire and Sosa and both signatures were ridiculously bad. that was the first red flag. I remember after Halper passed the flood gates opened on how many items were misrepresented or fake all together.

Back in the 90's I remember also seeing and auction for a vial of "thick viscous liquid removed from Ty Cobb's lungs". That may be 50% more ridiculous then the dentures.

"thick viscous liquid removed from Ty Cobb's lungs"
That's hysterical!! :D
Yikes!

TRC4191 04-17-2023 08:34 AM

Did SCP Auctions give a refund for the Ty cobb Dentures?

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 2331187)
To the surprise of virtually no one.

https://sportscollectorsdigest.com/n...el=tw-37041421

It looks as if SCP Auctions might have given a refund to the purchaser, as no sales price for the dentures is listed in the prices realized list for that auction.