Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Gehrig Type 1 question (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=224509)

orly57 06-25-2016 06:48 PM

Gehrig Type 1 question

1 Attachment(s)
Guys, I never venture into this section because I collect only cards, but a buddy of mine is a type 1 collector and is stumped about this Gehrig photo. Can anyone give me some info on this pic? Most notably, he wants to know the year and stadium. Thanks

Leon 06-26-2016 06:00 PM

I am not really a photo guy but not sure there is enough to go on besides Lou himself. Early to mid 1930s....?

Dave Grob 06-26-2016 07:09 PM

Gehrig Photo

It might be helpful to look at the collar style, sleeve style, and sleeve length when trying to narrow the range.
Dave Grob

orly57 06-26-2016 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Grob (Post 1555255)
It might be helpful to look at the collar style, sleeve style, and sleeve length when trying to narrow the range.
Dave Grob

Ok, so can you gleen a general time frame from those things on this card. Help me out guys, I have done nothing but tell this guy how knowlegeable this group is!

Dewey 06-27-2016 12:15 AM

Asking for Joey? Didn't he just post this in June pickups? If not maybe he knows.

Dave Grob 06-27-2016 07:54 AM

Gehrig Type I

Ok, so can you gleen a general time frame from those things on this card. Help me out guys, I have done nothing but tell this guy how knowlegeable this group is!

Knowledge comes in part from investing time, effort, and energy in research and study. The payoff comes in the enjoyment of the process and learning as well as the ability to enjoy your collection and make more informed purchase decisions. The knowledge gained through all of this is not perishable, as it can be leveraged down the road.

In this case, your friend is interested in dating a photograph. There are any number of sources of dated Gehrig photos that span his career. What you will see is that his uniforms changed over time, both on a personal level and as a function of general changes in uniforms as well.

Collar Type: When does it appear Gehrig switched from a sun collar, to cutting off a sun collar, to having his uniforms manufactured with a standard collar? Collar type is something a player could specify as a personal preference.

Sleeve Length: When does it appear Gehrig switched from full length sleeves, to cutting sleeves down, to having his uniforms manufactured with bicep to mid-bicep sleeve? Collar length is something a player could specify as a personal preference.

Sleeve Style: Look at sleeve styles as either set-in or Raglan. Sleeve style is something a player could specify as a personal preference.

At the end of the day, and for this particular effort, your friend may only come away with a general time frame as opposed to a specific date which it seems he wants. But at the end of the day, he will have learned for himself valuable information and procedures to advance his collecting experience. If that happens, then I would the information offered here could and would be considered as helpful.

Dave Grob