Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   authentic or graded 1 ? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=149663)

g_vezina_c55 04-05-2012 03:51 PM

authentic or graded 1 ?

i have several time this discution with collector.

What do you prefer, a authentic graded card with a beautifull eyes appeal, but trimmed or altered OR a bad loooking psa 1 card ?

for my part i prefer a untouched card in psa 1 grade....

and you?

glchen 04-05-2012 05:07 PM

I think I would prefer the authentic card rather than the poor PSA 1. However, I'd always be looking to upgrade that card to at least a PSA 1 with decent eye appeal. (e.g. some scrapbook residue on back, pinhole, etc.)

Vegas-guy 04-05-2012 05:20 PM

For some reason I can't bring myself to even consider an "A" graded card. Know matter how nice! I'd take the 1, not sure why other than a better feeling of no one tampering with it???

bcbgcbrcb 04-05-2012 06:09 PM

I believe that most collectors will SAY they prefer an Authentic card with great eye appeal but, in the end, they will choose the "1" grade due to the greater monetary value that it holds.

kmac32 04-05-2012 06:14 PM

Authentic card. Poor cards that look mangled have no appeal to me!

vintagetoppsguy 04-05-2012 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vegas-guy (Post 981554)
For some reason I can't bring myself to even consider an "A" graded card. Know matter how nice! I'd take the 1...

+1

atx840 04-05-2012 06:30 PM

I love me some beaters but a clean authentic card would trump a 1. I like the card not the flip.

Plus scraps are always an A :)

g_vezina_c55 04-05-2012 06:42 PM

for the value, the resell price, the 1 will command a higher price than a AUTH card.

i always prefer original things....

it is like in my past hobby : muscle car

i prefer to own a unrestored untouched muscle car with dings, scratch and not perfect interior or paint instead of a show poodle trailer queen car...

i apply the same rule in the sport card hobby.

Runscott 04-05-2012 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g_vezina_c55 (Post 981536)
i have several time this discution with collector.

What do you prefer, a authentic graded card with a beautifull eyes appeal, but trimmed or altered OR a bad loooking psa 1 card ?

for my part i prefer a untouched card in psa 1 grade....

and you?

Good question, but it's like asking if I would prefer to listen to Journey or Foreigner. But if I had to choose, it would definitely be an altered card - who wants a "bad-looking" card?

If the choice were a PSA 1 with good eye appeal, or an altered/trimmed card, I would take the PSA 1 any day.

t206blogcom 04-05-2012 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runscott (Post 981579)
Good question, but it's like asking if I would prefer to listen to Journey or Foreigner.

LOL - good one.

While I have both, I'd prefer 1's over authentics because I like things to be original and unaltered.

Leon 04-05-2012 08:37 PM

it depends

I am like a few other posters in that it depends on the 1. If the 1 is super trashed then I would take the AUT. IF the 1 is decent at all then I would take it. All things being equal I prefer not to have altered cards, but do own a few....(I think). regards

oh yeah, my Matty proof and Mullaney overprint are both AUT's....I am sure I have some more too.

benchod 04-05-2012 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 981608)
I am like a few other posters in that it depends on the 1. If the 1 is super trashed then I would take the AUT. IF the 1 is decent at all then I would take it. All things being equal I prefer not to have altered cards, but do own a few....(I think). regards

oh yeah, my Matty proof and Mullaney overprint are both AUT's....I am sure I have some more too.

I agree with Leon; not all 1's or A's are equal
Some A's will sell for much more than a 1 e.g. hand cut Plank Piedmont in REA

tbob 04-05-2012 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runscott (Post 981579)
Good question, but it's like asking if I would prefer to listen to Journey or Foreigner. But if I had to choose, it would definitely be an altered card - who wants a "bad-looking" card?

If the choice were a PSA 1 with good eye appeal, or an altered/trimmed card, I would take the PSA 1 any day.

+1

E93 04-06-2012 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benchod (Post 981617)

+1

For me it also depends on the issue too. For example, a skinned N172 with a great image does not bother me too much - a little, but not too much.
JimB

pcoz 04-06-2012 05:25 AM

A vs. 1

2 Attachment(s)
Apples to apples I'd always take a 1. But, with these two, if the A has this much better eye appeal, to me it's a no-brainer. Also, it depends what is the reason for the A grade. In this case, there is some black notebook paper stuck to the back which accounts for the A.

g_vezina_c55 04-06-2012 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benchod (Post 981617)

If you come across à piedmont plank graded 1 in verry bad shape it will command higher price than the auth you talk.

I know it have no plank graded 1 but it is hypothetic.

You can apply this rules to Sweet cap plank. Wathever the eyes appeal the graded 1 plank will sell for more than auth card

Fred 04-06-2012 11:14 AM

I'd take an A if the trim is minimal or something not obvious or it is trimmed in "the opinion" of the TPG (but probably not).

I've seen some really battered 1's and some pretty nice A's.

zljones 04-06-2012 12:25 PM

Auth for high end poor for low end. I prefer a little bit busted up Auths for those high end cards to keep the cost down. I think they need to sub classify Auth and Poor.

bobbyw8469 04-06-2012 12:27 PM

I have personally had and witnessed "A" cards get cracked out and get number grades in the future. Take the "A' grade with a grain of salt. It holds more monetary upswing than a fugly '1'.

travrosty 04-06-2012 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 981745)
I have personally had and witnessed "A" cards get cracked out and get number grades in the future. Take the "A' grade with a grain of salt. It holds more monetary upswing than a fugly '1'.

It's just a designation dreamed up by a grading company. the card is what it is. why get hung up on it? The psa 8 wagner is an AUTH in some peoples book. Just buy the card and not the grade. If a card looks great and you know it is slightly trimmed, then a scarlet letter A doesn't make it anything else that it wasn't already. Same for a beat up 1. Ditch the grades and go with what you like and don't worry, be happy.