Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Hey, pennant guys (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=183684)

thetahat 01-04-2020 06:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 1944420)
When digging through some bins today, I found a couple of pennants pertinent to the recent discussion.

First is the "alternate" version Red Sox from the amazing 1951 series.

Second is a rare version 1940s-'50s Browns Pennant with an unusual Pixie Mascot. Has anybody ever seen this one before? I cannot recall seeing another.

Mark, those are two dandies, the Red Sox is the more difficult from that series and it better fits the general design. The Browns is from another distinct set, it reminds me of the Brooklyn pennant with players names in a graphic with bunting (decorative bunting that is). I wonder if it’s the same maker as this one ...

Bumpus Jones 01-04-2020 08:15 PM

Super cool pennants Mark!

Bignoff 01-05-2020 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 1944420)
When digging through some bins today, I found a couple of pennants pertinent to the recent discussion.

First is the "alternate" version Red Sox from the amazing 1951 series.

Second is a rare version 1940s-'50s Browns Pennant with an unusual Pixie Mascot. Has anybody ever seen this one before? I cannot recall seeing another.

The Browns pennant is amazing! Love seeing these unique pennants

Fballguy 01-05-2020 07:54 PM

Just wondering...

I must be doing something wrong...

I've been collecting pennants for a long time now...and I haven't really given much thought to this...but it is by far the number one question I get asked when I try to sell one:

Does it have pin holes?

Does anyone really care if a pennant has pin holes? It's SUPPOSED to have them. Is there some arbitrary increment we apply to the value if it doesn't have them? You sure as hell can't tell if a pennant has pin holes unless you look really close. Has anyone ever...in the history of pennants not bought one because it had pin holes? I think this each and every time I find myself holding a pennant up to a light to see if it has #$@! pin holes for some worried collector. Who planted this hair brained idea in collectors heads that pennants...god forbid...shouldn't have pin holes?

Missing tassels...I get.

Moth eaten spine...I get.

Ripped/missing tip...I get

Stains...I get

Tears...I get

Cracked graphics...I get

But who cares about #$@! pin holes?

Am I right?

Thanks for indulging me.

PS...If you're worried about pin holes, please stop.

thetahat 01-05-2020 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fballguy (Post 1944739)
I must be doing something wrong...

I've been collecting pennants for a long time now...and I haven't really given much thought to this...but it is by far the number one question I get asked when I try to sell one:

Does it have pin holes?

Does anyone really care if a pennant has pin holes? It's SUPPOSED to have them. Is there some arbitrary increment we apply to the value if it doesn't have them? You sure as hell can't tell if a pennant has pin holes unless you look really close. Has anyone ever...in the history of pennants not bought one because it had pin holes? I think this each and every time I find myself holding a pennant up to a light to see if it has #$@! pin holes for some worried collector. Who planted this hair brained idea in collectors heads that pennants...god forbid...shouldn't have pin holes?

Missing tassels...I get.

Moth eaten spine...I get.

Ripped/missing tip...I get

Stains...I get

Tears...I get

Cracked graphics...I get

But who cares about #$@! pin holes?

Am I right?

Thanks for indulging me.

PS...If you're worried about pin holes, please stop.

Rob ... I’m with you. In fact I don’t mind many of the things you mentioned, as long as they look nice, and I’d figure in the damage in the price I would pay. I can live with missing tassels if it’s the bottom pair and I get a good deal. Moth eaten spine? No. Ripped/missing tip? Depends. If it’s the very tip, not a dealbreaker. I know many pennants were made with a blunt tip. I’ve got a mint 55 Dodgers pennant with what looks like a slightly squared off tip but it’s the full length and barely fits in my holder. Let’s hope pennant collecting doesn’t go the way baseball cards went. Stains? No. Tears? No. Cracked graphics? Maybe if not paint loss. Pinholes? Of course no problem! If I see what is supposed to be an old pennant and it has ZERO flaws? I’d immediately think fugazi. Pennants are meant to be displayed!

perezfan 01-05-2020 10:19 PM

I'm about as picky as they come. Severe OCD here.... But I have NEVER cared a bit whether or not there are pinholes on a pennant. Not one iota.

They are 100% expected with vintage pennants. Back in the day, what kind of kid stashed his pennants in a dresser, rather than proudly displaying them on the wall?

Pinholes rule!

thetahat 01-07-2020 06:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
As far as the recent condition post, one thing I tend to avoid are faded pennants. This Yankees pennant was always one of my favorites and I already had one whose colors were a little bit dull ... not gray but the blue was not as deep as it was. So I had the chance to upgrade it here. Not a “holy grail” pennant, and I don’t like the NYY even a little bit, but to me this is pennant art at its very best.

ooo-ribay 01-07-2020 07:02 PM

Blue seems especially prone to fading.

perezfan 01-07-2020 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetahat (Post 1945239)
As far as the recent condition post, one thing I tend to avoid are faded pennants. This Yankees pennant was always one of my favorites and I already had one whose colors were a little bit dull ... not gray but the blue was not as deep as it was. So I had the chance to upgrade it here. Not a “holy grail” pennant, and I don’t like the NYY even a little bit, but to me this is pennant art at its very best.

Sooooooo rare in that condition. Some blues held up better than others. But this particular version is always chronically faded to gray. Great pickup, Greg (and I agree, great artwork on that one!)

Fballguy 01-08-2020 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetahat (Post 1945239)

I've always thought that was a cool pennant. Yours is in beautiful condition. Colors are so vibrant. It must've been stored in a storage bin like most of mine LOL.

Fading is a bummer, but my biggest pet peeve is a ripped or missing tip. That bothers me probably more than it should. I find the longer I collect, the more condition matters to me...which probably explains why I'm not get nearly as many packages delivered as I used to.