Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   My exceptional PWCC pickup. (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=268902)

Goudey77 05-11-2019 06:17 PM

My exceptional PWCC pickup.

I am a lifetime collector and have seen this hobby evolve the last 30+ years.
To me there is no better time to collect cards. Whether it be modern or vintage. The auction marketplace is as competitive as ever. Making the limited quantity of premium eye appeal cards very special.

I am convinced these opportunities do not come up very often. I finally got one of these premium PWCC cards for my T206 personal collection. Very happy and appreciative for the opportunity to own high eye appeal cards like this. In my opinion labels by PWCC are very worthy of what they state.

+1 for the other side of the spectrum.

https://i245.photobucket.com/albums/...psllnyjss1.png
https://i245.photobucket.com/albums/...ps9omqpfmj.png

frankbmd 05-11-2019 06:28 PM

:rolleyes:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Goudey77 (Post 1876861)
I am a lifetime collector and have seen this hobby evolve the last 30+ years.
To me there is no better time to collect cards. Whether it be modern or vintage. The auction marketplace is as competitive as ever. Making the limited quantity of premium eye appeal cards very special.

I am convinced these opportunities do not come up very often. I finally got one of these premium PWCC cards for my T206 personal collection. Very happy and appreciative for the opportunity to own high eye appeal cards like this. In my opinion labels by PWCC is very worthy of what they state.

+1 for the other side of the spectrum.

Is the card so exceptional that you are reticent to show it? Scan was not included when I posted initially. I had no idea there was a sticker involved.:rolleyes::eek:

calvindog 05-11-2019 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1876863)
Is the card so exceptional that you are reticent to show it?

The point is not the card. It’s the good that PWCC did in getting it to him. What’s wrong with you?

(PS Wait till he finds out the card is altered)

TUM301 05-11-2019 06:41 PM

I`m guessing it`s the 1 of 1 T206 blank front/blank back combination ?

Peter_Spaeth 05-11-2019 06:42 PM

A great looking 2.5 obviously, but then again I am sure with your experience you didn't need PWCC to tell you that.

Goudey77 05-11-2019 06:45 PM

Agreed I did not need PWCC to tell me. But the point is that I had the opportunity to own such a nice example because of companies like PWCC.

calvindog 05-11-2019 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goudey77 (Post 1876869)
Agreed I did not need PWCC to tell me. But the point is that I had the opportunity to own such a nice example because of companies like PWCC.

Ebay too. Thank God for them. Where would we be without ebay?

Peter_Spaeth 05-11-2019 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calvindog (Post 1876871)

In the pit, without the pendulum?

Edit to add ->->->-> :)

Mark17 05-11-2019 06:56 PM

Quote:

I'd be working a regular desk job looking forward to death.

Goudey77 05-11-2019 06:58 PM

Quote:

Agreed for eBay! Where would we be without middlemen?
Half the battle is getting these out of the woodworks and into the marketplace.
Thank god for auction houses as well.

Although the hardcore collector world would be a better place if everyone just posted on Net54 FST listings.

frankbmd 05-11-2019 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goudey77 (Post 1876874)
agreed for ebay! Where would we be without middlemen?
Half the battle is getting these out of the woodworks and into the marketplace.
Thank god for auction houses as well.

Although the hardcore collector world would be a better place if everyone just posted on net54 fst listings.

fst

fst

fst

fst

fst

fst

fst

CobbSpikedMe 05-11-2019 07:10 PM

I don't understand the praise for PWCC here. So they sold a nice looking 2.5. Big deal. Anyone could have done that. Is the praise for the sticker that you've already agreed is meaningless since you yourself could tell it was a nice looking 2.5? I just don't understand the point of this thread I guess. :confused:

bobbyw8469 05-11-2019 07:13 PM

I bought a nice looking Julius Erving rookie here off the b/s/t many years ago. I don't need a sticker to tell me it looks nice for the grade. I know it does. That is all.

Goudey77 05-11-2019 07:20 PM

Obviously anyone could sell any card at any time. My point is that PWCC consistently brings nice cards to the hobby. It’s quite frequent actually. Just like REA brings vintage memorabilia of epic proportions. This helps collectors like me. Just my opinion. Wanted to say something positive on these boards for a change. Happy Saturday all 🌞

Scocs 05-11-2019 07:23 PM

If the front and back look like an “8”, why is it only graded a “2.5”?

ullmandds 05-11-2019 07:41 PM

This sure sounds like aNother paid announcement by Pwcc???

Peter_Spaeth 05-11-2019 07:42 PM

Martin I see you joined relatively recently. The cynical attitude some of us have towards PWCC has many years of context with which you may not be familiar unless you've been reading the site that long.

ullmandds 05-11-2019 07:46 PM

Thank God for Pwcc...If it weren’t for them there would be no nice cards in this world.

whitehse 05-11-2019 07:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1876892)
Thank God for Pwcc...If it weren’t for them there would be no nice cards in this world.

And don't forget PSA and Mastro :eek:

ZiggerZagger 05-11-2019 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goudey77 (Post 1876883)
Obviously anyone could sell any card at any time. My point is that PWCC consistently brings nice cards to the hobby. It’s quite frequent actually. Just like REA brings vintage memorabilia of epic proportions. This helps collectors like me. Just my opinion. Wanted to say something positive on these boards for a change. Happy Saturday all 🌞

I like the positivity, Martin. I would make the point that it's the Consignors who choose to bring these cards to market, however, through PWCC. These are cards that are already "in the hobby", with PWCC just acting as a conduit for the sale.
Although I do kind of like the idea of PWCC staff roving around the country, raiding estate sales and Ohio attics looking for the next big find... :)

Personally, I agree that the quality of cards offered via PWCC is high. Over the last year, though, the avidity with which folks seem to be bidding on every single PWCC item is noticeable. It's been enough to discourage me from buying as much with PWCC. I'm spending far less with them now than I ever would have imagined prior. I also thought the 'HE' designation was gimmicky enough when it came out, and so now with the 3 new designations it's gone from gimmicky to mildly annoying to me. Just my two-and-a-half cents

full name: J@$on B!$p!ng

Goudey77 05-11-2019 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1876889)
Martin I see you joined relatively recently. The cynical attitude some of us have towards PWCC has many years of context with which you may not be familiar unless you've been reading the site that long.

Thanks Peter. I always respect the opinions of everyone. Like mentioned already I wanted to say something positive here. For what I assume is most likely majority middle aged veteran collectors here on Net54 I’m surprised by the “Twitter” like divisive attitude that you see with modern social culture. I can host a TedTalk Net54 episode out of the drama here :D

Scocs 05-11-2019 08:00 PM

So why is it only a 2.5?

Peter_Spaeth 05-11-2019 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goudey77 (Post 1876899)
Thanks Peter. I always respect the opinions of everyone. Like mentioned already I wanted to say something positive here. For what I assume is most likely majority middle aged veteran collectors here on Net54 I’m surprised by the “Twitter” like divisive attitude that you see with modern social culture. I can host a TedTalk Net54 episode out of the drama here :D

PWCC is a very divisive subject, no question. I don't find the forum in general particularly divisive but I guess as a lawyer my tolerance is pretty high and sensitivity low.

Republicaninmass 05-11-2019 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goudey77 (Post 1876883)
Obviously anyone could sell any card at any time. My point is that PWCC consistently brings nice cards to the hobby. It’s quite frequent actually.

Yes, often the same card after being altered or so bounced back and forth from probstein, ad nauseum

whitehse 05-11-2019 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goudey77 (Post 1876899)

I think Frank brings up the median age to middle age on the boards otherwise we are all youngins'.

I kid Frank I kid!!!

frankbmd 05-11-2019 08:09 PM

The Value of The Sticker

I can now confirm that the exceptional sticker on the OP’s card more than doubles the PWCC market value. I recently purchased a similar T206 Waddell Portrait in a PSA 3.5 holder for a little more than half of the exceptionally stickered card.

I guess I’m the fool, as I don’t have a sticker to admire. Oh well, live and learn.

iowadoc77 05-11-2019 08:09 PM

I was the underbidder on that card. It is simply as nice of a Rube as you will find. Very high eye appeal. Very nice pickup!

Goudey77 05-11-2019 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scocs (Post 1876903)
So why is it only a 2.5?

Scocs, that is the beauty of “buying the card and not the holder”.
Sometimes there are anomalies that none of us can decipher. In fact i’d pay good money to have a PSA grader sit down with me and explain these scenarios.

Peter_Spaeth 05-11-2019 08:14 PM

I am sure it has a surface wrinkle somewhere. PWCC's scans/pics don't make wrinkles evident sometimes -- I know someone who has an amazing example of this but he hasn't posted it.

maniac_73 05-11-2019 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goudey77 (Post 1876911)
Scocs, that is the beauty of “buying the card and not the holder”.
Sometimes there are anomalies that none of us can decipher. In fact i’d pay good money to have a PSA grader sit down with me and explain these scenarios.

I also don't understand why it's only a 2.5 it looks to be in amazing condition!

Goudey77 05-11-2019 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iowadoc77 (Post 1876910)
I was the underbidder on that card. It is simply as nice of a Rube as you will find. Very high eye appeal. Very nice pickup!

Thanks. The interesting part of this is that neither of us probably cared about comparable grade pricing. Believe me I had analyzed VCP of this card. I threw it out the window and bought the card based on my own valuation. Who knew we were so similar in our guess. In this case two educated Net54 guys let the card and not the sticker do the influencing.

Frank I’d love to see your example. I’m happy you picked up a nicer copy.

lowpopper 05-11-2019 08:19 PM

I wonder if Purple Label would sticker it also...

Scocs 05-11-2019 08:23 PM

I went to the specific eBay listing. Here is the reason for the (much) lower grade:

“exceedingly light, horizontal front surface wrinkle keeps from grading higher.”

That must be some wrinkle that I still couldn’t see on their nice large eBay scans.

Goudey77 05-11-2019 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZiggerZagger (Post 1876896)
I like the positivity, Martin. I would make the point that it's the Consignors who choose to bring these cards to market, however, through PWCC. These are cards that are already "in the hobby", with PWCC just acting as a conduit for the sale.
full name: J@$on B!$p!ng

Thanks Jason. In this scenario I like the old saying “don’t hate the player, hate the game”. If these consigners would just post on net54 “fst” (thanks Frank) I wouldn’t lose sleep with PWCC guilt. :D
But honestly I like PWCC.

Goudey77 05-11-2019 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scocs (Post 1876918)
I went to the specific eBay listing. Here is the reason for the (much) lower grade:

“exceedingly light, horizontal front surface wrinkle keeps from grading higher.”

That must be some wrinkle that I still couldn’t see on their nice large eBay scans.

I can confirm it’s only visible under a certain angle and I’d guess impossible to pick up on a scan or photo. Still... not sure it would justify a 2.5. But I’ll take it all day.

Peter_Spaeth 05-11-2019 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goudey77 (Post 1876919)
Thanks Jason. In this scenario I like the old saying “don’t hate the player, hate the game”. If these consigners would just post on net54 “fst” (thanks Frank) I wouldn’t lose sleep with PWCC guilt. :D
But honestly I like PWCC.

Did you like the altered 52T Mantle with no disclosure?

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=268541

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1290614

Goudey77 05-11-2019 08:56 PM

I followed the discussion on all the usual platforms. It appears PWCC fully acknowledged the potential changes that card has gone through. Not sure if the buyer knows anything with all the exposure and talk. Will be interesting to see if they ever come forward. Otherwise the card stays in PC until the next episode.

As a collector I stay in my lane. But I’m experienced enough to realize this is bigger than social media exposure and pressure to do the right thing by PWCC. To me the end game is with PSA. They will forever be liable for every single graded card out in circulation. It is the nature of their business right? The big question is will PSA do the right thing? I am almost willing to bet my bottom dollar if the new owner lawyered up they could bring a good case against PSA’s grade guarantee policy and come out with some 💵

Peter_Spaeth 05-11-2019 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goudey77 (Post 1876923)
I followed the discussion on all the usual platforms. It appears PWCC fully acknowledged the potential changes that card has gone through. Not sure if the buyer knows anything with all the exposure and talk. Will be interesting to see if they ever come forward. Otherwise the card stays in PC until the next episode.

As a collector I stay in my lane. But I’m experienced enough to realize this is bigger than social media exposure and pressure to do the right thing by PWCC. To me the end game is with PSA. They will forever be liable for every single graded card out in circulation. It is the nature of their business right? The big question is will PSA do the right thing? I am almost willing to bet my bottom dollar if the new owner lawyered up they could bring a good case against PSA’s grade guarantee policy and come out with some ��

PWCC refused to disclose anything in their auction description, despite clear evidence the card was altered, and offered a whole slew of nonsense to justify it. That, to me, is the takeaway from the fiasco. I can't spin it any other way, sorry.

oldjudge 05-11-2019 09:04 PM

I'm sure all blind collectors appreciate PWCC's labeling. Perhaps they can expand the service to dating apps.

Bigdaddy 05-11-2019 09:19 PM

Very nice pickup.

brianp-beme 05-12-2019 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldjudge (Post 1876925)
I'm sure all blind collectors appreciate PWCC's labeling. Perhaps they can expand the service to dating apps.

Do their stickers have Braille? Because I think the blind would appreciate knowing that their graded card has extreme eye appeal.

Brian (noted for coming up with insensitive but genius level ideas...and a PWCC dating app. Why didn't I think of that?)

felada 05-12-2019 05:28 AM

Is there a legitimate purpose to this thread other than the counter all the negative pwcc threads lately? Why couldn’t this pick up been posted in the pick up thread? Pwcc isn’t the only company with ‘quality’ cards. I get like three catalogs a month filled with them from auction companies.

toledo_mudhen 05-12-2019 06:33 AM

Just my 2 cents - I think novice collectors hear the "Buy the Card - Not the Holder" schpiel over and over and over. I don't think that it sets in tho until much later down the "collecting" path after carefully studying many cards in hand. I know it took me a long time to get that thru my head.

I would suspect that many untrained eyes would automatically speculate this T206 as at least a 7 were it not already in a holder. My 1st glance at this card was a "wow" and then I automatically assumed "crease" because of the holder.

PWCC's target customer consists of way more than us on the boards and as such I don't think their "HE" designations (or whatever else) is necessarily such a bad thing.

calvindog 05-12-2019 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by felada (Post 1876949)
Is there a legitimate purpose to this thread other than the counter all the negative pwcc threads lately? Why couldn’t this pick up been posted in the pick up thread? Pwcc isn’t the only company with ‘quality’ cards. I get like three catalogs a month filled with them from auction companies.

Define “legitimate” first.

Snapolit1 05-12-2019 07:14 AM

Thank god for all these guys who run auction houses. Some of them deserve sainthood. Except for the obvious criminals of course.

aconte 05-12-2019 07:55 AM

I would recommend not going to the blowout forums as the happiness
and positive attitude might take a big blow. It did for me. The truth
can sting sometimes.

But hey congrats on the pickup.

wondo 05-12-2019 08:27 AM

Nice card - glad you are happy with your purchase.

Was that so hard?

BLongley 05-12-2019 08:39 AM

Yeah... PWCC is developing quite the reputation for bringing very high eye appealing cards to market... both vintage and modern... it’s unfortunate the reason they look so good is that so many of these cards have been altered and there is an amazing paper trail that is being left behind... seems it all started about two years ago with that SGC 50 DiMaggio... and now we are having the broader conservation discussion... hmmm...

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showth...290614&page=28

The link above will show some other nice eye appeal cards with those stickers attached... and then it also shows the before “conservation” image...

Exhibitman 05-12-2019 08:56 AM

Dude, they sell altered cards...in TPG holders. Praising PWCC is like praising a pusher for selling the best smack. But the stickers are nice, if you are a six-year-old girl who got through her visit to the dentist without crying. Perhaps they should be unicorns, trolls and My Little Pony. As a grown man, do you really need a sticker to validate your decisions? Does your wife slap one on your heinie when you do a particularly good job in the sack? Mine does...haven't seen a sticker in a while.

But I digress. Maybe all is well with PWCC. After all, not every card they sell is altered, just a lot of them. Maybe the Rube has't been worked over and is just a really nice card for the grade. I sincerely hope that is the case. After all, even a broken clock is right twice a day. As for me, I will limit my buying to Probstein: they're too lazy and incompetent to 'conserve' cards.

Peter_Spaeth 05-12-2019 09:03 AM

"Praising PWCC is like praising a pusher for selling the best smack."

HOF line.