Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Authentic the Artist's Grade (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=259765)

Throttlesteer 09-09-2018 10:59 AM

Authentic the Artist's Grade

Lately there's been a ton of debate about TPGs competing to assume the title of toughest grader. A lot of sharp-looking "Authentic" cards have made their way into recent auctions. It dawned on me, if a card has already been altered or trimmed, the owner has carte blanche to clean, color, etc..to hide any flaws they want. Sure, altered cards will never fetch number-graded values. But, a seemingly clean-looking Authentic card will certainly outsell a more worn one.

There really isn't any penalty or qualifier for altered cards. So, buying the card vs. the holder really comes down to presentation (if online). You don't have any guarantee to the amount someone has tampered with the card.

luciobar1980 09-09-2018 12:41 PM

That's true. Is SGC implementing more thorough Grader's Notes? Gonna call them on Monday.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Throttlesteer (Post 1811461)
Lately there's been a ton of debate about TPGs competing to assume the title of toughest grader. A lot of sharp-looking "Authentic" cards have made their way into recent auctions. It dawned on me, if a card has already been altered or trimmed, the owner has carte blanche to clean, color, etc..to hide any flaws they want. Sure, altered cards will never fetch number-graded values. But, a seemingly clean-looking Authentic card will certainly outsell a more worn one.

There really isn't any penalty or qualifier for altered cards. So, buying the card vs. the holder really comes down to presentation (if online). You don't have any guarantee to the amount someone has tampered with the card.

drcy 09-09-2018 07:16 PM

The amount and type of restoration is relevant to judgment and valuation. Not all restoration (in amount and type) is viewed the same. In fact, if a card (or anything) is too restored, it may not be considered an original, or entirely original, item.

It just says that the AUTH grade is one indicator and doesn't, and doesn't proport, to say everything. Should an AUTH grade say more-- such as the type and amount of restoration or alteration, or why it wasn't graded? That's an argument. On the other hand, the AUTH grade simply says the card is authentic-- and in fact some unaltered cards do get that grade.

luciobar1980 09-09-2018 07:52 PM

This is what I've always been confused about. When, assuming a card is NOT altered, is a card an A vs a 1?? If it's not altered why wouldn't it just be a 1?

Quote:

Originally Posted by drcy (Post 1811606)
The amount and type of restoration is relevant to judgment and valuation. Not all restoration (in amount and type) is viewed the same. In fact, if a card (or anything) is too restored, it may not be considered an original, or entirely original, item.

It just says that the AUTH grade is one indicator and doesn't, and doesn't proport, to say everything. Should an AUTH grade say more-- such as the type and amount of restoration or alteration, or why it wasn't graded? That's an argument. On the other hand, the AUTH grade simply says the card is authentic-- and in fact some unaltered cards do get that grade.

GasHouseGang 09-09-2018 07:52 PM

I always thought the grader should add “trimmed”,“color added”, etc. Then the collector would at least know what the grader saw and based his grade on.

luciobar1980 09-09-2018 07:58 PM

Definitely! I'm surprised. Card collecting is older than comic book collecting, but CGC, on their labels, always has a list of what alterations have been done to a comic. How is this not a thing with the TPGs in card collecting?

Quote:

Originally Posted by GasHouseGang (Post 1811615)
I always thought the grader should add “trimmed”,“color added”, etc. Then the collector would at least know what the grader saw and based his grade on.

Leon 09-13-2018 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luciobar1980 (Post 1811618)
Definitely! I'm surprised. Card collecting is older than comic book collecting, but CGC, on their labels, always has a list of what alterations have been done to a comic. How is this not a thing with the TPGs in card collecting?

Subgrades would be a great plus if TPGs would do it. I know Beckett has done it before, if not now.

Stampsfan 09-13-2018 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GasHouseGang (Post 1811615)

+1. Many times in the item description, the Auction House is guessing as to what the alteration actually is.

bounce 09-13-2018 12:47 PM

in some instances, like with autographed cards, the grading request is for the autograph and just noting that the card is authentic.

i don't think in that instance they look to the card for alterations for any sort?

steve B 09-14-2018 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drcy (Post 1811606)

Yes, non-altered stuff can get an "A". If I hadn't checked the "don't slab as "A" " choice this one would have. The cuts top and bottom are very rough, so many collectors who aren't up on details would assume trimming.

I think they missed the boat on this one, they printed the flip, why not slab with it as miscut enough to not get a number?

I really like how they include the note if it won't grade and they're not slabbing it as an A.

http://www.net54baseball.com/picture...pictureid=5054

drcy 09-14-2018 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bounce (Post 1812528)
in some instances, like with autographed cards, the grading request is for the autograph and just noting that the card is authentic.

i don't think in that instance they look to the card for alterations for any sort?

In fact, in some cases these days (blue flip versus red flip) they don't even authenticate the card, but just the autograph. The label merely says 'trading card.'